Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Change of formation?

I didn't travel to Rotherham, or catch the highlights on the FLS - however reading the match thread and having seen a few games this season I wonder if the big man may decide to tinker with the formation to utilise the talent we do have at our deposal.

For a plan 'B' formation I'd like to see a 4-3-2-1 formation - the (2) being inside right /left pushing wide to provide width and channel runs (JBG / Bulot or Harriot in the other slot).

I really like the fact that we appear to be trying to build from the back and pass the ball, however currently ball retention and movement seem to be key issues and moving Cousins into a more familiar central role may help add some energy and bite to the middle where we seem to be over run frequently.

Obviously Igor picks himself up front currently and hopefully with this formation we would potentially create some more chances and diagonal passes in behind the defence to utilise his pace.....

Thoughts?

Comments

• With the sort of players we were bringing in and talk of passing football I was expecting to see us play some sort of 4-5-1 under Peeters. Then we were playing 4-4-2 in pre-season and from what I've seen and read since it looks very much like he'll stick with 4-4-2 and wants to make it work for us.

I think it can get us results but as I said in the post match thread we clearly need a partner for Igor and the midfield looks a bit unbalanced at the moment.
  • Isn't Plan B a necessity if opposing managers are sussing out our Plan A so early in the season ?
  • Agreed sir, definitely need some help in the middle - I think with the 3 or 5 in the middle we would hold the ball better and maybe have the extra pass available - whereas at the moment that pass is to a heavily marked man and a 50/50 ball.

Would love to see an Andy Hunt / Leaburn esq player who could hold the ball and feed Igor to take some pressure off of him - not sure we have that in the squad though and at the moment? its about trying to make the best of what we have now... until January I guess.
  • Isn't Plan B a necessity if opposing managers are sussing out our Plan A so early in the season ?

The only trouble is Fanny Plan B then becomes Plan A, we then need a plan C which becomes Plan B, unless of course the original Plan A fulfills this function, now where was I ? :-)
  • It has been mentioned elsewhere, and it is difficult to know if it is true, or if it is 'European style' v 'British style', but could it be our players are less fit than our opposition? Is the tendency to retreat somewhat after earlier success in matches clever preserving of energy, or because we get knackered before they do?
    Last season with Astrit for example we (thought) could see the issue with some players, but now it has seemed a bit more widespread.
    I am not advocating boot camp or anything, but wetter heavier pitches are due soon, and will we match up physically against other championship sides whatever formation we play?
  • seth plum said:

It has been mentioned elsewhere, and it is difficult to know if it is true, or if it is 'European style' v 'British style', but could it be our players are less fit than our opposition? Is the tendency to retreat somewhat after earlier success in matches clever preserving of energy, or because we get knackered before they do?
    Last season with Astrit for example we (thought) could see the issue with some players, but now it has seemed a bit more widespread.
    I am not advocating boot camp or anything, but wetter heavier pitches are due soon, and will we match up physically against other championship sides whatever formation we play?

Mr F commented on this yesterday, Seth. We notice that Yoni appears "quieter" in the 2nd half of matches & wondered whether he needs more time to adapt to the pace of the Championship.

• seth plum said:

It has been mentioned elsewhere, and it is difficult to know if it is true, or if it is 'European style' v 'British style', but could it be our players are less fit than our opposition? Is the tendency to retreat somewhat after earlier success in matches clever preserving of energy, or because we get knackered before they do?

I'd certainly say we are pressing a lot higher up the pitch early on from what I've seen Seth so there may be a fitness issue, however what really concerns me is the lack of movement - is it our players struggling with a new system still? or possibly they just aren't as technical as we would like to think in reality (I know I see them through rose coloured glasses myself!).
  • We already had a fitness coach (or whatever title he has) and BP brought in his own, so I would be surprised if fitness is an issue, although quite often when a new manager takes over a failing club, they say the players were not fit enough, always surprised at this statement!
  • edited September 2014
    seth plum said:

Not only did we look a bit lightweight at Rotherham especially after the substitutions, the old CL height test is also an issue for me with, apart from the keeper, only the two CBs, Buyens (give or take 1/2 inch), JBG and JJ at 6 foot or more, we will continue to be vulnerable with far post crosses like we were yesterday and at set pieces. Even more reason to get a big target man in asap who can help out defensively like Yann used to :-(