Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Taking Advantage

We have taken the lead in every game this season bar one, Huddersfield away. Of those seven we have gone on to draw four of them, winning the other three by just a solitary goal. We need to press home our advantage and turn these leads into wins. Once again goalscoring is the problem and we can't hope to score just one goal and go on to win games. Is another striker the answer? Does the problem lie elsewhere? I'm not convinced with Jacko in CM, would rather see Cousins there with Yoni and Bulot or Moussa wide left.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the start we have made and impressed with Big Bob but it could have been oh so much better.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    You say that goalscoring is the problem but we've only kept one clean sheet so far this season. Extrapolated over the rest of the season, we'd expect 4-5 more clean sheets total from now until May. You don't need me to tell you that that isn't good enough and perhaps it's actually our goalscoring that has us as high as we are in the table?
  • Options
    I d like to see us dictating the play more in midfield and making things happen, get Cpusins off the wing and in the middle Bob.
  • Options

You say that goalscoring is the problem but we've only kept one clean sheet so far this season. Extrapolated over the rest of the season, we'd expect 4-5 more clean sheets total from now until May. You don't need me to tell you that that isn't good enough and perhaps it's actually our goalscoring that has us as high as we are in the table?

I take your point but we are hardly shipping goals are we? One a game is, in my opinion acceptable and if we were scoring two or three then conceding one or two isn't a disaster. Look at the table and our goals scored column isn't great.
  • Options
    I think Callum actually has a point, in that ideally we should have more than one clean sheet out of our games so far. However, defensively I think we're quite strong and are quite lucky to have that clean sheet, when you look at everything Watford was throwing at us...

For me, we're doing well but we're going to begin to slip down a bit now; back to reality perhaps. It's not symptomatic of the defence, but perhaps the pressure we put on the defence - and that does come from the midfield. Johnny'b'Good is a good attacking option on the wing, Bulot is good at pinging balls through the midfield and Jacko can be good at breaking up play... Ultimately this goes back to the 4-4-2 argument.

Cousins is a promising young player who I really want to see push on; however not out of position. Bulot should be given a go there, and Cousins/Jacko should perhaps share the CM position. Up top, perhaps we can try Church with Vetokele; or (preferably IMO) see how Tucudean goes with some better service from both wings.

It's not helping that Vetokele is our sole threat; teams know this and so he is marked, pushed and pulled all over the pitch.