Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rotherham Utd v Charlton Ath|20 September 2014|Championship|Preview, Views, Line Ups & Predictions

The Introduction

Aah, Rotherham v Charlton, what memories this fixture conjures up.

No, me neither. The two sides haven't faced each other since 1982/3 and the only game of that period that comes to mind was a 5 - 1 thrashing at the Valley when Steve White was sent off. Ken Craggs was sacked two days later and some bloke called Lawrence got the managers job.

Since then the two clubs have taken different forks in the road but recent investment, not least in a new ground after losing their traditional home Milmoor and having to use the Don Valley Athletics stadium, has seen them gain back to back promotions.

The Opposition

There are some people it is easy to take a dislike to and Steve Evans is one of them. The Glasgow born Rotherham boss has a catalogue of crimes and misdemeanors to his name from tax dodging, ""contract irregularities" and verbally abusing female stewards but annoyingly he is also a very effective manager. Give him the resources and he will build a hard to beat, hard working side.

The current Millers team is no different. Their top scorer has only two league goals and the whole side only five in the league but they have conceded just eight goals, one less than the Addicks.

Summer recruits such as Paul Green (the Leeds player not the News Shopper Journo), Matt Derbyshire, and Anthony Wordsworth have yet to justify their fees/wages but beware, this is a side with experience. Our own Richard Wood has as yet only made one appearance

The opposition player to watch is Luciano Becchio. A regular goal scorer for Leeds Utd, a move to Premiership Norwich flopped and the Argentine is now back in Yorkshire and the Championship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h52HS35P2jA

Our Line Up

Tinkerman is not a nickname likely to be applied to Bobby Peeters any time soon. Why change a winning team and when you have such a small first team squad how many options do you have?

Saturday kid Chris Solly will slot back in at right back but otherwise the back five will remain as per Wolves despite some CL misgivings about Rhoys Wiggins.

In midfield the brief and inconclusive cameo by Freddy Bulot gives Bob another option. If Johan B. Gud is still not recovered from his hamstring injury then expect to see the versatile Belgian/Gabonese play on the right with Buyens, Jackson and Cousins completing the midfield.

Up top Igor will be fit despite the painful cut and trapped nerve suffered at the end of the midweek draw v WWFC.

There have been calls for his strike partner to be changed. Other than a very impressive half v Derby, Țucudean has yet to settle into his role. Some, having seen glimpses of talent and buckets of effort, are willing to give him more time. Others may feel that George is too similar to another striker who came from Standard Liege, Reza. The Iranian too scored one wonderful goal but did little else and never looked cut out for the Championship.

That the alternatives are Moussa, Church or Harriot, none of whom are in the same mould as the Romanian suggests that George will continue to start unless a loan deal is done between now and kick off.

The Prediction

Two hard working teams cancel each other out

0 - 0

Highest and Lowest

The highest league position Charlton can reach at the end of the game is 2nd

The lowest league position Charlton can sink to at the end of the game is 13th

Comments

• Options
    Charlton have 63% of possession and dutifully lose 2-1
    In front of 750 new ground day trippers and 400 hardcore regulars

• Options
    Igor to return to the scoresheet in a hardfought, battling 1.0 away win for Charlton.
  • Options
    I think this could be our first defeat. Hopefully I'm wrong and we play some football, keep possession and run out comfortable 1 nil winners.
  • Options
    Henderson, Solly, Ben Haim, Bikey, Wiggins, Wilson, Buyens, Jackson, Cousins, Tucudean, Vetokele

Subs: Pope, Fox, Morrison, Bulot, Moussa, Church, Karlan Grant
  • Options
    Peeters said he hoped JBG would be fit when interviewed after Wolves.

Henderson, Solly, Ben Haim, Bikey, Wiggins, JBG, Buyens, Cousins, Moussa, Tucudean, Vetokele.

SUBS: Pope, Morrison, Fox, Wilson, Bulot, Jacko, Church
  • Options
    Rotherham seem to have played a 4-4-2 this season, so hopefully with the quality of Jackson and Buyens we can look to dominate the midfield.

It's going to be a difficult game, but if Igor and JBG are fit I can see us sneaking a result.
  • Options
    Can't see past a 5-0 defeat.
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

Watch out for this sly pair

Bet they play a lot of one-two's between each other........
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

Surely there's only one outcome if they turn up? The useless pair of twonks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3-1 Charlton.

Can't keep using the 'tough side' excuses. These are probabaly one of the worst teams in the league and we're better all over the pitch. If we can beat Derby, Wigan and Watford then we should beat these, regardless that it's away.

• Options
    0-2 to BP's Red & too much White Army
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

When did the Neville brothers sign for Rotherham.
  • Options
    Deadman in charge this saturday
  • Options
    Rotherhampton 4-0 Charlestown
  • Options
    First of all I liked the introduction. I can't move beyond another away draw. Somehow we don't seem to get away from falling back and being under the cosh towards the end of games.
  • Options
    It would be good to have most possession, but at the end, as long as we win, who cares?
  • Options
    Got a feeling of 'Stevenage away' from 2011/2012 about this one, after a strong start I think everyone expect us to win but I think we'll lose this 1-0.
  • Options
    I've gone from positive to negative. We all know what Charlton do - hold their own against 7 decent sides, then lose to a supposedly weak side. 1-0 to The Millers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A 1-0 win sees us remain in the top six.
  • Options
    1-1, Igor to score
  • Options
    1-2

Frecklington

Vetokele
    Tucudean
  • Options
    A tough 1-0 win for us having to break down Rotherham, goal from Jackson.

Have to win games like this if we have any serious claims to be in the promotion hunt & get the additional transfer funds for Bob to spend in January.
  • Options
    Oh and they hit the post in the last few minutes, just so some of our fans can continue to claim we are lucky once again/dont deserve to be top 6 etc....... ;-)
  • Options
    Vetokele, Bulot and Gudmundsson to start? If yes then expect a decent result.
  • Options
    Imagine a midfield of JBG, Buyens, Cousins (back in his rightful position to add energy) and Bulot.

Jacko isn't and shouldn't be undroppable.
  • Options
    I'm now going. This means we will lose. 1-2.
  • Options
    Can't make up my mind between:

a) a 3-0 win, taking the opportunity to turn on the style against weaker opposition after resolute, determined performances against more illustrious opposition in the past few matches. We're going up.

or

b) a 1 - 0 defeat. A turgid performance after our luck runs out having blagged it in the first few games. Mid-table mediocrity here we come.