Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is The Wig now badly fitted ?

Can't really tell if Wiggins is consistently coming up against a run of bloody good right wingers (McManaman, Anya, Henry etc), teams are generally playing a different tactical game which pushes on / exposes full backs more, or he just hasn't post-injury recreated his pre-injury form.

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    He has certainly lost a bit of pace.
  • Options
    Henry is a very good player and i thought he did alright against him last night.
  • Options
    He has had one decent game this season IMO and that was Saturday, don't think its about the people he has come up against, it could be his injury but I just think he is out of form, give Foxy the next couple of games he finished last season strongly
  • Options
    Maybe he shone being better than average in a below average team. Now we've got better overall he's not standing out as much. Still decent but no longer seems head and shoulders above everyone else. Could do with kicking on again in my opinion.

Perhaps if Poyet was in this team rather than the desperation last season people would be saying the same. Good at this level but hardly prem quality.
  • Options
    Thought when we got promoted that we could realistically claim to have the two best fullbacks in the Championship, not really turned out like that though.

Wiggins still looks ok, although he made a lot of avoidable mistakes last night. He's just not at the same level he was in League 1, where he was a left back AND an extra left winger in most games. Maybe he's just found it difficult to cope with the step up.

• Options
    The wider pitch is also helping the fast forwards of the opposition.

All four teams have attacked us at home which means Wiggins has been under constant pressure.

He has made some good tackles but also has been roasted on a few occasions.

If any weaker teams show up at the Valley, he should have more chance to show his attacking prowess.

Still think he's faster than Fox, so can't see our he would of dealt with these speed merchants any better.

• Options
    Doesn't seem to be getting forwards as much as he used to. Would regularly get to the byline and put crosses in, but in this new formation he's not pushing on as much. Think that's what taken the shine off him slightly. Was definitely looking like a player getting over an injury in first couple of games though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can Gomez play LB ? He's number three but I'm not sure if that's of any significance.
  • Options
    must have been mulling over that thread title for seconds.

thought Henry was excellent, very direct.

agree with soapboxsam.
  • Options
    He is blowing hot and cold but all of the defenders dropped some clangers last night and all including Wiggins made some great last ditch interceptions as well.

I think the main thing about him is his lack of consistency at the moment which was in abundance when he first came to the club.

• Options
    seth plum said:

I am pretty sure Joe Gomez and Wiggy each made game saving tackles/blocks last night near the end of the game when a goal looked certain.

They did. Both exceptional blocks

I dont think Fox is strong enough yet personally.

I am 100% sure he would have been destroyed last night. He's ok but Henry would have made him look just like a 19 year old with no experience

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Macronate said:

must have been mulling over that thread title for seconds.

I thought he was talking about the bloke on Channel 4 the other day who was talking about the Scotland vote

Sorry I have no idea why the picture is rotated that way again
  • Options

I always thought we got the best out of Wiggins with Jackson in front of him. Jackson would automatically fill in at left back allowing Wiggins to overlap with the confidence he wouldn't be exposed.

Dear God no! Jackson on the left was one of the worst options we ever tried. He was just completely bypassed in defence and attack and may as well not have been there. In fact, SCP once promised solemnly that he would never, ever play JJ there again.

• Options
    I'm sure the TWO successive injuries have affected his pace but it will return.
  • Options
    I've only been able to see two games this season (the last two) and Wiggins has looked decent in both. The game-saving tackle he put in at the end of last night's match was worth the admission alone. He's not getting forward as much as he used to, but then he's up against a better quality of opponent.

That said, Henry got little joy out of him and switched to attack Gomez (little joy there either).
  • Options
    I couldn't make it yesterday but so far this season, whilst he hasn't looked quite his old self, he has bent but not broke and been up against some good players. Don't think he should be dropped and think he'll play his way back into form.
  • Options
    I thought Gomez was all over the shop last night. Started off when he went foward and passed to one of theirs, then didnt track back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wiggo has lost all confidence going forward. Perhaps he doesn't trust himself to be able to bomb back, and presumably he doesn't trust Cousins (or Harriott before him) in the way that he knew Jacko could cover his back.
  • Options
    Excellent player who is doing fine but maybe not standing out as he used to as would be expected at a higher level. Still head and shoulders above Fox in my opinion, although fox is a decent back up.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Wiggins has been one of our weak links every game. Tucudean is the other main weak link.
    There is no doubt Wiggins has lost a yard of pace, since his injuries.
    He is regularly beaten for pace every game and is being targeted by the opposition.
    He also seems to slip over frequently.
    He is not getting forward much & when he does his crossing is poor.
    In mitigation he has been up against some strong wingers in the last few games.
    Personally, I'd have left him out after the first game at Brentford & given Fox a go.
    I thought Fox looked more solid than Wiggins, when he played last season.
    Ok Fox may have been worse, but we won't know, unless he is given a run.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I think it was always going to be diffiult for him last night because Wolves played so outrageuosly wide. He hasn't looked up to scratch in previous matches, though.
  • Options
    What we want, is Wiggins overlapping Cousins, with Cousins or someone covering behind him, but it's not really happening. I don't know if he's worried about getting forward, due to the high quality of right winger he's been playing against.
    His lack of a decent right foot is also limiting his passing options when he cuts inside.
  • Options
    Wilson and Jackson are the ones now badly fitted imo.
  • Options
    According to Ketts, when he spoke to Wiggins he said that Wiggins was told not to go forward
  • Options
    I think that Cousins does not give him enough help/ cover defensively. He might get there to help but hardly ever gets in a tackle.

We allow far to many crosses to come in from the left in particular lost count last night of how many crosses they got in.
  • Options
    Though he has been slightly weak this season, I find it odd that people are pulling him up for it now, after in my opinion his best performance in a while.
  • Options
    He's come up short. Big worry as he now looks a liability not the asset I thought he was. Hope he turns it around.