Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spurs @ The Valley

Comments

• Tottenham to the valley by car - 1hr 14mins???

That's what it said on Google Maps. It's a miserable drive that you'd be stuck in traffic for most of.
  • it's only 11 miles, even in traffic 45mins surely
  • edited September 2014

Tottenham to Milton Keynes by train: 1 hr 34 minutes
    Tottenham to Charlton by train: 1 hr 16 minutes

Tottenham to Milton Keynes by car: 1 hr 24 minutes
    Tottenham to Charlton by car: 1 hr 14 minutes

Stadium MK capacity: 30,500
    The Valley capacity: 27,111

I really don't see why the Valley would be more beneficial to them than Stadium:MK. It'd be interesting to find out where their season tickets holders live, although I can't find any information like that, but I think they would have much bigger pockets of support in counties such as Hertfordshire as opposed to anywhere south of the River.

That's assuming the majority Tottenham fans live in Tottenham.

Edit: Didn't read the bit underneath!
  • If there is an 18 month lead up to a share, as Henry alluded to, we could get the capacity up a bit in the interim to over 30 k I would've thought by working on the away end and the SE Corner. At the moment impact on our attendances would be minimal and it could be a win win situation for all. Very early days though, and probably won't happen anyway.

It really depends what time of day it is. You'd have to come through Stratford and then through the Blackwall Tunnel, that's going to be hell during weeknight matches when they drive with rush hour traffic.

Is anyone on here a cabbie?
  • Chizz said:

Doesn't the Premier League have rules preventing teams sharing grounds?

If they do it must be new because I went up to Anfield a few years ago and all the talk was about the possibility of Liverpool and Everton building a new ground which they would share.
  • By next season we will be in the prem with a 40,000 capacity Valley.
  • edited September 2014
    Why would we want them to build more seats? the amount of red chairs dotted around the ground on Saturday was horrible to see... wouldn't want to see anymore!
  • Why would we want them to build more seats? the amount of red chairs dotted around the ground on Saturday was horrible to see... wouldn't want to see anymore!

The new ones would be white and navy ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Does anybody think the council will allow it, I am sure the local residents would have something to say about it, with a minimum of 42 matches the disruption to them must be taken into account.
  • Tottenham to the valley by car - 1hr 14mins???

I expect that route takes you around the N. Circular to the Woolwich ferry & then a 30 min wait for 1 & only ferry that will be working..........lol
  • I have driven from Stone Lake retail park to IKEA in tottenham in 35 minutes before, no way is it another 40 to WHL unless you're building a flat pack wardrobe beforehand

Barnet to Charlton takes me just over an hour most of the time - three hours once (ironically the game Spurs beat us 5-1 in 1999), so I reckon about 50 minutes from Tottenham.
  • Regardless of Spurs i would like to see more "special" games at the Valley, such as England U21's, Womens Cup final, Womens Internationals (I know that there is the Wembley one, but most would easily fit in the Valley), matches like the ones at Loftus Road .... I mean if Loftus road can have prestige friendlies why not us.
  • There are planning constraints on the use of The Valley. These are mainly around the number of non-football events, so the cheap joke would be to say that they apply to Spurs already.

More seriously I think the residents would be looking carefully at the conditions under which the various permissions were granted and it would be difficult for the council to agree a variation if that was necessary. But I don't have the detail to hand.
  • Dansk_Red said:

Does anybody think the council will allow it, I am sure the local residents would have something to say about it, with a minimum of 42 matches the disruption to them must be taken into account.

Which is why I would welcome the 'concept' but feel that RBG would make all sorts of objections.

The planning application for the original new stand has now lapsed, and according to the planning officer from the council would be unlikely to be granted, 'without major amendments'.... RBG's Saturday afternoon parking around the Valley, is an issue that will have to be re-evaluated, and even if you had a park and ride scheme from somewhere like Woolwich common, If the Lansdowne Mews development does get built..... I can see objections there as well.

Seeing that we had the Broncos down there, albeit years ago, I am sure it could be a possibility. With hopefully bigger crowds down at the valley, I hope that someone with 'imagination' is working on this at the club' at least in principal as some of the above issues will be there on our return to the prem.
  • Spurs have 24,000 season tickets so for 1 year only they could conceivably look after their core support and still keep the Jimmy Seed as away fans.

Would be a bit weird being in the Jimmy Seed when we play them in the Prem though although it will put the whole 'acoustics' debate to bed if we managed to sell out the away end :)

Would we sell out our allocation though?
  • If Spurs choose anything other than the Olympic Stadium then the entire argument for pouring £180m of our money into making it fit for football will once again be undermined, especially as Spurs interest in it is supposed to be evidence that there was a " fair and open tender"
  • Can take over an hr but normally it's no more than 35 mins to 45 mins including finding a parking space

I'd let them share as long as we got first dibs on any decent players they didn't want in their squad not obika or the lad they have up front now standard but better than that

I can't see how anyone would rather go to fc franchise than stay in London it's a shit hole in mk
  • Sponsored links:

• Living in the next road to the ground, I'd prefer not to have games played every weekend plus Tuesdays and Thursdays (if Spurs in Europe).

But for the local independent establishments (pubs, shops, cafes etc) it would be a huge boost in income for a year.
  • edited September 2014

it's only 11 miles, even in traffic 45mins surely

It really depends what time of day it is. You'd have to come through Stratford and then through the Blackwall Tunnel, that's going to be hell during weeknight matches when they drive with rush hour traffic.

Is anyone on here a cabbie?
    Every one I've had has been a Spurs fan, so they should be fine!!

I think with the local links to Stratford/Canning Town/N Greenwich this isn't beyond the realms of fantasy and could work well for Spurs fans.

Prague - I get your point on the Olympic Stadium. After all, we looked long and hard at the legals on that one. I wonder whether ignoring it completely could be Levy's way of saying "f you" for the complete shambles you put me through in the tender for it in the first place! Regardless of whether they share with us, the soulless franchise or anyone else!
  • My only issue with it is that we lose potential long-term fans in our catchment area to Spurs, which isn't ideal when West Ham are moving in across the water.
  • If Spurs choose anything other than the Olympic Stadium then the entire argument for pouring £180m of our money into making it fit for football will once again be undermined, especially as Spurs interest in it is supposed to be evidence that there was a " fair and open tender"

Come on Prague, that is spurs own decision and has no baring on the amount of public money spent on it. If they asked and were refused would have more of a case.
  • Spurs have 24,000 season tickets so for 1 year only they could conceivably look after their core support and still keep the Jimmy Seed as away fans.

Would be a bit weird being in the Jimmy Seed when we play them in the Prem though although it will put the whole 'acoustics' debate to bed if we managed to sell out the away end :)

Would we sell out our allocation though?
    Quick ! Buy a VG subscription !

• MrOneLung said:

If Spurs choose anything other than the Olympic Stadium then the entire argument for pouring £180m of our money into making it fit for football will once again be undermined, especially as Spurs interest in it is supposed to be evidence that there was a " fair and open tender"

Come on Prague, that is spurs own decision and has no baring on the amount of public money spent on it. If they asked and were refused would have more of a case.
    Pretty soon we will be able to make public the LLDC defence to the EC regarding State Aid. It relies on the idea that West Ham are far from the only occupiers and that lots of big players are queuing up to use the place. In this way, they argue, they have negotiated great value for money. Your and my money.

Well, let's see.

• Let them share with the hamsters at Stratford, all the seats to be red, so they can't argue over the colour.
  • I will just leave it to Katrien and Roland, who I am beginning to trust in the way that many of you trusted Chris Powell.
  • As I said on the other thread last week, I alluded to a deal already being in place for Spurs to go to MK going back as far as 18 months ago. It is my understanding that it will still happen.

However, if that was true about Levy being at the Valley on Saturday then perhaps 1+1 does make 3 but I would think that it was more likely that Levy may be negotiating a deal for Michy Batshuayi of Standard Liege.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

As I said on the other thread last week, I alluded to a deal already being in place for Spurs to go to MK going back as far as 18 months ago. It is my understanding that it will still happen.

However, if that was true about Levy being at the Valley on Saturday then perhaps 1+1 does make 3 but I would think that it was more likely that Levy may be negotiating a deal for Michy Batshuayi of Standard Liege.

Michy Batshuayi is a Marseille player now.