Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dr Who last night.

2»

Comments

• Haven't really watched it since the kids were little , does Tom Baker still wear that really long scarf? 
  • MrOneLung said:
    No idea why Tennant is back just for 3 episodes.
    Hopefully storylines will go back to basics

Hero
    Villain
    Easy to follow story of good versus

Hopefully the storylines will veer away from being overly convoluted and preachy.
    They should be able to be understood by an 8 year old, without the Doctor having to explain onscreen, exactly what is going on to their companions.
    I think they wanted to have episodes for the 60th anniversary, but the new guy was still under contract from his previous role, so wouldn't be able to fit enough filming in in time. As for the Doctor explaining on screen what's going on to the companion, that's always been the case. It's pretty much what the role was designed for.
  • I stumbled across the fact that there are loads of Dr Who episodes available to view on i player, going back to the very first episode.
  • aliwibble said:
    MrOneLung said:
    No idea why Tennant is back just for 3 episodes.
    Hopefully storylines will go back to basics

Hero
    Villain
    Easy to follow story of good versus

Hopefully the storylines will veer away from being overly convoluted and preachy.
    They should be able to be understood by an 8 year old, without the Doctor having to explain onscreen, exactly what is going on to their companions.
    I think they wanted to have episodes for the 60th anniversary, but the new guy was still under contract from his previous role, so wouldn't be able to fit enough filming in in time. As for the Doctor explaining on screen what's going on to the companion, that's always been the case. It's pretty much what the role was designed for.
    Bit like the endless briefings in every single police drama to help the audience keep up?
  • "Dr. Who" at 5.15pm - straight after "Grandstand" (in the days when the BBC actually covered live sport each and every Saturday). I'm just about too young to have remembered seeing this first episode but the striking thing is how many icons of TV from so many different genres that were available - "The Telegoons" featuring Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers & Harry Secombe; "Juke Box Jury" with two of the members of the panel Cilla Black & Sid James; "Dixon of Dock Green" starring Jack "Evening All" Warner; "Comedy Playhouse" co-written by Jack Rosentahl and with Derek Nimmo in the cast and finally "That Was The Week That Was" including the likes of David Frost, Roy Kinnear & Bernard Levin.

Rose tinted glasses? You bet. That doesn't mean one cannot look back with some fondness.

• "Dr. Who" at 5.15pm - straight after "Grandstand" (in the days when the BBC actually covered live sport each and every Saturday). I'm just about too young to have remembered seeing this first episode but the striking thing is how many icons of TV from so many different genres that were available - "The Telegoons" featuring Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers & Harry Secombe; "Juke Box Jury" with two of the members of the panel Cilla Black & Sid James; "Dixon of Dock Green" starring Jack "Evening All" Warner; "Comedy Playhouse" co-written by Jack Rosentahl and with Derek Nimmo in the cast and finally "That Was The Week That Was" including the likes of David Frost, Roy Kinnear & Bernard Levin.

Rose tinted glasses? You bet. That doesn't mean one cannot look back with some fondness.

Not sure if it was a mistake in the drama earlier this evening but they mentioned after the first episode was aired about airing it again before the 2nd one because lots of people missed it the first time because of news items re JFK's assassination. 

JFK was assassinated on the Friday at 12.30pm in Dallas. So probably 6.30pm UK time (no idea of the time difference but assuming 6 hrs). The first episode was shown the next day at 5.15pm.....so almost a whole 24 hours later. I'm sure I hesrd them say about LBJ being sworn in too....but that as done on the plane on it's way back to Washington. 

Was it a mistake ? I'm assuming that 60 years ago there wasn't news coverage like there is today and that in 1963 you'd just have the evening news & that's it. The newspaper above shows that the scheduled news was AFTER Dr Who anyway....so more likely people would have been tuned in to watch the news just after it was first shown. 

I know it makes not a jot of difference but it just irked me. 
  • Watched An Adventure In Space and Time on BBC4 last night. Knew it was a repeat but i was surprised it was 10 years old. Very enjoyable though ( i could watch Brian Cox read the yellow pages ) and a little tweak at the end too was a nice touch,
  • Missed that first time around, Stevie but caught some of it last night. Really enjoyed it, as you say Cox is excellent. Will have to see if it's on player still. I assume it is!