Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tottenham to play at Stadium MK (Possibly)

Wow, surely there are closer stadiums they could use, the Olympic stadium for one

I no Wembley and The Emirates have been ruled out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2750570/Tottenham-reveal-s-highly-unlikely-club-able-new-stadium-2017.html

Comments

• also struggle to understand why MK is being seriously considered
  • I think it is just because the capacity is close to Spurs
  • I would have thought the Olympic stadium (maybe too much bad blood) or Wembley would be the realistic options.
  • edited September 2014
    Why has Wembley been ruled out? - Don't answer, just clicked The Mail link. Could they share with West Ham?

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/spurs-to-play-next-season-online-2014091190428
  • ...could Roland offer them the chance to play at the Valley?
  • also struggle to understand why MK is being seriously considered

I can answer this one for you AFKA.

I was told more than 18 months ago that a deal was already in place for us to play in MK for a season if it became necessary through building delays. There are a number of substantial links between both boardrooms to suggest its not just a red herring.

Tbh, for us, this really isnt new news. It has been doing the rounds for the last 12 months on most Spurs boards and only now Spurs have released the official statement on the building delays because of Archway, that the journalists have been sifting through what was openly discussed all them months ago.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

also struggle to understand why MK is being seriously considered

I was told more than 18 months ago that a deal was already in place for us to play in MK for a season if it became necessary through building delays. There are a number of substantial links between both boardrooms to suggest its not just a red herring.

Tbh, for us, this really isnt new news. It has been doing the rounds for the last 12 months on most Spurs boards and only now Spurs have released the official statement on the building delays because of Archway, that the journalists have been sifting through what was openly discussed all them months ago.
    Have MK ever built that second tier? Will Spurs contribute to its development?
  • I think I know at least 30 Spurs fans and none of them live or grew up in London, they all live in the Home Counties, so Milton Keynes would be perfect for them.

The Boleyn Ground will be empty when West Ham vacate it, but it's being bulldozed for a Safeway, an Iceland and a Greggs and I imagine they wouldn't postpone bulldozing the ground so Spurs don't have to vacate the capital.

There are 12 other Football League grounds in the capital, not sure why they can't share one of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why can't they share with Barnet or Clapton or somewhere like Watford?
  • Fiiish said:

I think I know at least 30 Spurs fans and none of them live or grew up in London, they all live in the Home Counties, so Milton Keynes would be perfect for them.

The Boleyn Ground will be empty when West Ham vacate it, but it's being bulldozed for a Safeway, an Iceland and a Greggs and I imagine they wouldn't postpone bulldozing the ground so Spurs don't have to vacate the capital.

There are 12 other Football League grounds in the capital, not sure why they can't share one of them.

I meant sharing in West Ham's new stadium. When do they move there?
  • Have MK ever built that second tier? Will Spurs contribute to its development?

They had 30k for the Man U game the other night.

• Dansk_Red said:

They had 30k for the Man U game the other night.

Answers my question then - thanks!
  • They can't share at Arsenal.
    I doubt West Ham would allow them to share the Olympic stadium
    Wembley is a possibility, but there are other events during the year there.
    Upton Park will be demolished by then
    Twickenham - wrong side of London

Mk - 32k stadium, the largest within reasonable distance, albeit a bit far out.
    The Valley and Selhurst are about 26k/27k, Watford only 20k, even with the new stand
  • I doubt West Ham would allow them to share the Olympic stadium

The thing is that it shouldn't be up to West Ham. As I understand they're only tenants and they're receiving a pretty favourable deal from the whole venture, in a stadium they will struggle to fill. If the owners got Spurs on board they could guarantee around 40,000 seats at least every week if Spurs and West Ham alternated home and away on a weekly basis (excluding the weeks where West Ham and Tottenham play each other). If the owners of the stadium don't make a move to accommodate Spurs for one season only, they're pissing money away.
  • Actual Quote from a Spurs fan at work:

"We should be playing at Wembley for that season as a club the size of ours will easily fill it every week"

Yep. Met a few of them chumps in my time.
  • lots of em like that---win a game they will win the title--world cup and the horse of the year show------------------loose a game its slit wrists and sack the manager
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2014

Actual Quote from a Spurs fan at work:

"We should be playing at Wembley for that season as a club the size of ours will easily fill it every week"

Clearly they could fill Wembley every home game.Thats why the new capacity at WHL is going to be 56,250.
  • What about the soon to be conference stadium near White City.
  • lots of em like that---win a game they will win the title--world cup and the horse of the year show------------------loose a game its slit wrists and sack the manager

Horse of the year show caught me off guard there, had a good LOL
  • JohnBoyUK said:

also struggle to understand why MK is being seriously considered

The question should be have Spurs already contributed to its development...
  • The Evening Standard critiqued the other London stadium options for Tottenham, I'm not even sure where to start for how ignorant they were towards Charlton.
  • Actual Quote from a Spurs fan at work:

Well maybe he's got a point if only the bottom tier is open.

You would have thought the FA would be willing Spurs to take on the stadium for a year. It would give them the opportunity of sending out the England team around the country on tour again, something they said last week wasnt a possibility as they still had to pay the stadium.
  • The Wembley idea would make the most business sense but feels a bit off having a league team play in our national stadium for an entire season, has that ever happened before?
  • The Wembley idea would make the most business sense but feels a bit off having a league team play in our national stadium for an entire season, has that ever happened before?

Arsenal played some Champions League games there for a year or two, without much success if I remember rightly but I'm not sure if a teams played its league fixtures there though. Wouldn't bother me, what these folks in North London get up to is all a mystery to me anyway !
  • Fiiish said:

I doubt West Ham would allow them to share the Olympic stadium

The thing is that it shouldn't be up to West Ham. As I understand they're only tenants and they're receiving a pretty favourable deal from the whole venture, in a stadium they will struggle to fill. If the owners got Spurs on board they could guarantee around 40,000 seats at least every week if Spurs and West Ham alternated home and away on a weekly basis (excluding the weeks where West Ham and Tottenham play each other). If the owners of the stadium don't make a move to accommodate Spurs for one season only, they're pissing money away.
    You are right.
  • They couldn't use wembley because of the 3 or 4 NFL games. The grass would be churned up so bad it would not be fit for football in that period which would be Sep, Oct and November.