Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

U2 - Songs of Innocence

2»

Comments

• Bono didn't break the record. He WAS the record
  • Reported that Apple gave U2, $100M.
  • U2, the band for people who don't like music.
  • "Every time I clap my hands a child in Africa dies". Well stop f#####g doing it then!
  • Poor man's Coldplay

You do realize U2 are pretty much Coldplay's biggest inspiration and have been going about 20 years longer?
  • cafctom said:

Poor man's Coldplay

You do realize U2 are pretty much Coldplay's biggest inspiration and have been going about 20 years longer?
    Both equally pompous, self important and bland (and very very rich), so Chris Martin has done a good job there really.
  • Uboat said:

cafctom said:

Poor man's Coldplay

Both equally pompous, self important and bland (and very very rich), so Chris Martin has done a good job there really.
    Your opinion, entirely subjective. I'm not a huge U2 fan, I like a few of their songs and have their two Greatest Hits albums.

What is a fact is that they are one of the biggest and most successful rock acts of the last 35 years. Bono might not be a likeable person, but lets not try and suggest that they are "irrelevant" like some on this thread are saying.
  • edited September 2014
    I am 19 years old and to my generation U2 are irrelevant.They are not the Rolling Stones, and never will be.
  • edited September 2014

I am 19 years old and to my generation U2 are irrelevant.They are not the Rolling Stones, and never will be.

To be fair, this is the point I was making earlier.
    U2 aren't relevant to many many people around the world (including me), maybe because they're of Nomadic's generation, maybe U2 have slipped off their radar, maybe they just were never fans or maybe some other reason.

But this has made people notice U2. Like them or not, everyone's heard of them now. This has either reminded people of them or, in some cases, caused some to have heard of them for the first time.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:

Poor man's Coldplay

For every good album U2 has released, they've released 3 other trashy albums. Coldplay have been so consistently excellent with their albums.
  • U2 are of my generation. They're even more irrelevant to me than to Nomadic Addick
  • U2 are of my generation. They're even more irrelevant to me than to Nomadic Addick

Lol. Same here. Never got why they were so popular, personally.
  • It's moment like these, I wish I still had my Samsung......................
  • I'm a big U2 fan ok not to everyone's taste and I can understand why , and some of the stuff they have done in recent years hasn't been to clever , the new album for me is quality , someone on here said they are a poor mans Coldplay well u are talking total shite .

• U2 are also of my generation . I own everything that they have ever released including 4 yellow vinyl singles released by CBS only in Ireland in about 1980 and which might be worth to someone perhaps £ 1000.I first saw them at the Lyceum after October was released in 1981 and have seen them probably about a dozen times since over the years including most recently a few years ago at Glastonbury. This is a fantastic marketing strategy but there is no getting away from the fact that Bono is a pompous tax evading hair transplanting self regarding cliche ridden rock star knob whose best songs were recorded almost thirty years ago .Hard to think that something went through his mind other than money and the idea that he should basically re tread a lot of their earlier hits ,take no risks as they did with the album Pop or the single from it Discotheque ,and sell out to Apple .The old Pope and Nelson Mandela will be turning in their graves.
  • Blimey, I hope Bono isn't on Charlton Life.
  • cafcfan said:

JaShea99 said:

Are U2 still relevant?

Surely they never were? if U2 were a computer operating system, they'd be Windows ME.
    Come on! How old are you? Of course they were relevant. They aren't now (I wish they'd just retire) but in the late 80's / early 90's they were the most influential band around. 'Boy' was a great début album (in fact if you listen to it now it's amazing to consider that it was their first album, and that it was made just when all the 'new wave' and sythesisor pop was at its heyday. The Unforgetable Fire and The Joshua Tree are two of the greatest albums ever made. Achtung Baby completely changed the sound of (indie / rock) music from 1991 until the the start of the 'Brit Pop' era.
  • I must be the only person who actually likes the album. Don't think its anywhere near their best work, but some of the songs are good.

I am all for free albums, perhaps Apple can do it more often.
  • cafcfan said:

JaShea99 said:

Are U2 still relevant?

Surely they never were? if U2 were a computer operating system, they'd be Windows ME.
    Come on! How old are you? Of course they were relevant. They aren't now (I wish they'd just retire) but in the late 80's / early 90's they were the most influential band around. 'Boy' was a great début album (in fact if you listen to it now it's amazing to consider that it was their first album, and that it was made just when all the 'new wave' and sythesisor pop was at its heyday. The Unforgetable Fire and The Joshua Tree are two of the greatest albums ever made. Achtung Baby completely changed the sound of (indie / rock) music from 1991 until the the start of the 'Brit Pop' era.
    62 since you ask. Although I have some pretty mediocre stuff in my fairly extensive record collection I have absolutely nothing by U2. And that's the way it's going to stay. Nothing they have ever made, ever, has encouraged me to go out and buy any of it. I don't find their music to be at all challenging: just mildly entertaining but ultimately boring. As for the edge (he doesn't merit a capital letter) he's just the definition of average. As Rolling Stone magazine put it 'rarely has a guitarist achieved so much by playing so little'.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

JaShea99 said:

Are U2 still relevant?

62 since you ask. Although I have some pretty mediocre stuff in my fairly extensive record collection I have absolutely nothing by U2. And that's the way it's going to stay. Nothing they have ever made, ever, has encouraged me to go out and buy any of it. I don't find their music to be at all challenging: just mildly entertaining but ultimately boring. As for the edge (he doesn't merit a capital letter) he's just the definition of average. As Rolling Stone magazine put it 'rarely has a guitarist achieved so much by playing so little'.

I raise you, with the bloke out of status quo who has played the same 4 chords for 50 years, he's now got RSI.
  • Not being aware of their relevance isn't the same thing as them being irrelevant. U2 have influenced pop music to a huge degree, inspired a lot of would-be musicians and created blueprints for live music presentation that many acts have and continue to ape. And I say that as someone who would rather poke a stick in my eye than choose to download that turgid album I found on my phone.
  • Never bought anything by them. Sunday Bloody Sunday is a good song though, it really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Not being aware of their relevance isn't the same thing as them being irrelevant. U2 have influenced pop music to a huge degree, inspired a lot of would-be musicians and created blueprints for live music presentation that many acts have and continue to ape. And I say that as someone who would rather poke a stick in my eye than choose to download that turgid album I found on my phone.

I hear what you say, but was that really U2? Or was it actually Brian Eno?
  • The Reality is that U2 are no longer the big band they used to be and this is a good way for them to try and tap into a new market.

Touring probably the only option left.
  • Badger said:

The Reality is that U2 are no longer the big band they used to be and this is a good way for them to try and tap into a new market.

Touring probably the only option left.

The big band they used to be u r joking the next tour will sell out world wide showing how big they still are , Honestly i understand why people don't like U2 Bono is up his own arse at times but they are a brilliant live band , everybody has different tastes in music it's up to the individual .
  • edited September 2014

Never bought anything by them. Sunday Bloody Sunday is a good song though, it really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday.

http://youtu.be/6RTJ4vHoYUs
  • Never bought anything by them. Sunday Bloody Sunday is a good song though, it really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday.

http://youtu.be/6RTJ4vHoYUs
    Comedy Genius