Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

QPR threatened with relegation to the Conference

QPR have been warned that they face being demoted to the Conference if they are relegated from the Premier League.

The Football League believes the R’s breached its financial fair play rules during the 2013/14 season. Harry Redknapp’s side won promotion to the top-flight, which means they are currently outside the Football League’s jurisdiction.

But Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey indicated that they will be charged when they drop out of the Premier League.

Rangers are expected to face a £40m fine when they post their financial results. With owner Tony Fernandes vowing to fight any financial penalty, Harvey suggest that QPR could be expelled from the Football League instead.

He told the Soccerex conference: “Theoretically, that is the position but I would hope there would be resolution long before that option even had to be considered.

“The one thing for certain is that most clubs [in the Premier League] will become a Football League club again.

“Now QPR will, of course, be hoping it does not happen for some considerable number of seasons but the chances they will need to return to the Football League fold at some point. Certainly, three of the 20 clubs that are in the Premier League will be in the Football League next season.”

Comments

• Options
    And Redknap is about to be offered a new deal....

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/732642347?-294:802
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Will never happen IMO
  • Options
    Championship club making 60m loss in only a year is disgraceful.
  • Options
    Oh dear....... 'Arry and his wheeling 'n' dealing. Is there a club he hasn't sent to the brink of destruction?
  • Options
    How much did they spend in their one season in the premiership. Christopher Samba for £12.5M wasnt helpful. An absolute basket case of a club.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    sralan said:

Oh dear....... 'Arry and his wheeling 'n' dealing. Is there a club he hasn't sent to the brink of destruction?

Spurs... but only because Levy holds the purse strings...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fernandes is a complete loon!

"My view has been consistent, that it is very unfair for a club that has been relegated as the wage difference between the Premier League and Championship is impossible. There should be a time period for clubs to rectify their salaries.

"If we were in the Championship in two years with that wage bill it wouldn't be right. I'm in favour of FFP but it is unfair for a club coming down."

So you break the rules on the way up and ignore the punishment on the way down? Okay Tony!
  • Options
    Exactly, Gretna. And even IF the fine is paid, the football league still doesn't benefit.
  • Options
    Half suspect its just a veiled threat that will never actually happen..

Send out some message if they did get demoted so far!
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

"My view has been consistent, that it is very unfair for a club that has been relegated as the wage difference between the Premier League and Championship is impossible. There should be a time period for clubs to rectify their salaries.

"If we were in the Championship in two years with that wage bill it wouldn't be right. I'm in favour of FFP but it is unfair for a club coming down."

So you break the rules on the way up and ignore the punishment on the way down? Okay Tony!

Dear Tony, that is what parachute payments are for
  • Options
    They ain't got the support base for the Conference...
  • Options
    It won't ever happen to a club that high in the pyramid, it will happen to a afc Wimbledon or a Luton Town if they get a rich benefactor

More hot air no substance
  • Options
    What if the Conference refuse to have them? Or whoever adjudicates decisions regarding the Conference make them start from the lowest possible rung in the Conference?

Same situation with Newco Rangers, sending them to the bottom of the professional football pyramid was a massive cock-up and didn't have the desired effect. Rangers are still pulling in the biggest crowds in Scottish football but now Scotland has tumbled down the UEFA rankings meaning Celtic have to play Dynamo Bogbrush or Grasshopper Workmate in order to qualify for anything and all the clubs Rangers have to complete against on the way back up have to play an opponent well above their standard in what ought to be a balanced league (indeed, in case anyone actually forgot, the League system exists so clubs only play other teams that are equivalent in standard as they are, not as a punishment for top flight teams when they need a slap).

Can't see it happening to be honest because no one in English footballing is either as stupid or has large enough balls to do to QPR what the SFA did to Rangers. I imagine QPR's owners with grease some palms and they'll get slapped with something resembling a punishment (transfer embargo or wage cap or something that could probably got around quite easily).
  • Options
    Sadly we all know nothing serious will happen to the club as the headline suggests.

My prediction is that in a few seasons time Fernandes gets bored of playing with them, they then get relegated, the Football League then takes pity on them since they now have no hope of paying the fine(which i hope gets increased for every season they refuse to pay) and the party line is, well it's not the fans fault they are in this mess.

Which is a total cop out as their fans can hardly believe they are a well run club.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

They seemed to find enough to buy Austin and others when they were relegated. What a ridiculous statement from Fernandes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiiish said:

What if the Conference refuse to have them? Or whoever adjudicates decisions regarding the Conference make them start from the lowest possible rung in the Conference?

Same situation with Newco Rangers, sending them to the bottom of the professional football pyramid was a massive cock-up and didn't have the desired effect. Rangers are still pulling in the biggest crowds in Scottish football but now Scotland has tumbled down the UEFA rankings meaning Celtic have to play Dynamo Bogbrush or Grasshopper Workmate in order to qualify for anything and all the clubs Rangers have to complete against on the way back up have to play an opponent well above their standard in what ought to be a balanced league (indeed, in case anyone actually forgot, the League system exists so clubs only play other teams that are equivalent in standard as they are, not as a punishment for top flight teams when they need a slap).

Can't see it happening to be honest because no one in English footballing is either as stupid or has large enough balls to do to QPR what the SFA did to Rangers. I imagine QPR's owners with grease some palms and they'll get slapped with something resembling a punishment (transfer embargo or wage cap or something that could probably got around quite easily).

Good points.
    However, as Katrien says in the article, if nothing is done then that just gives licence for any other club to ignore any financial rules that are in play, and cue mayhem.
  • Options
    And Fernandes was close to buying us at one point, wasn't he?
  • Options
    sralan said:

http://youtu.be/xJBsI7RAuvk
  • Options
    Possibly the emptiest threat I've ever heard.
  • Options
    Rosie's pedigree chum is expensive don't you know!
  • Options
    Glasgow Rangers went from Champions League to non league, no reason why the same cant happen to QPR. Wether we see Redkanp in the dugout at Maidenhead United or Harrogate Town FC remains to be seen ( I really hope so)
  • Options
    We will see what happens with FFP compliance within a few months as the deadline is 1 December for filing accounts. Whether is a penalty for being promoted while over budget or a suspension from player registration (if not promoted), it is obviously important that the regulation has teeth.
    Otherwise it falls into disrepute and clubs sue each other etc. For instance Brighton made a statement this time last year that they could comply and then sold a top player last January.
    If QPR or any other club contest the rules and penalties they should simply be excluded until they settle. I also wonder whether the Championship in future might refuse to nominate clubs for promotion if losses are excessive?
    We all know that clubs overpaying are buying success AND inflating the player market. This needs to stop and I hope FFP works over the next 18 months to deliver lower losses across the league, thus making our national game more sustainable.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Fiiish said:

Good points.
    However, as Katrien says in the article, if nothing is done then that just gives licence for any other club to ignore any financial rules that are in play, and cue mayhem.
    Granted, but clubs that spaff millions more than they're allowed are few and far between in the Football League. The Football League has a bigger problem with clubs not making any money at all and going insolvent than clubs owned by billionaires buying promotion. I'm not saying QPR shouldn't be punished in some way, I just think that:

a) Sending them to a different part of the football pyramid is a pointless punishment because it hurts other clubs more than the offending club and it undermines the reason why we have a league system in the first place (i.e. to ensure clubs are competing against teams on a similar level). Financial punishment (e.g. fining their parachute payments, transfer embargo, wage cap etc.) are more appropriate. If I was going to make a threat to QPR, I'd threaten them with a 10-point deduction for each year they stayed in the Premiership and didn't pay their fine until their eventual return to the Championship. It'd certainly send a message home and it would certainly make an interesting situation where QPR's metaphorical balls were left dangling over an increasingly more vicious pit of crocodiles.

b) QPR will likely escape any punishment as they're rich enough to grease the right palms at the FA and Football League and the Football League likely don't have the cojones to stick to their guns on this one.
  • Options
    Surely Fiiish, you are not saying you think people at the football league and FA headquarters could be dishonest? I can't believe everybody doesn't trust them.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Surely Fiiish, you are not saying you think people at the football league and FA headquarters could be dishonest? I can't believe everybody doesn't trust them.

Of course not, I am merely suggesting for legal reasons that they possess acumen that is often not displayed in public meetings due to the discretion they exercise.