Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England

I was thinking on the tube earlier...

About the swiss game. Thinking how we are on a downward spiral, how the world cup performances were so gutless, embarrassing and tactically clueless...and how the loyal fans are quite rightly giving up on the side, and how repetitive it has been following the national side over the last 10 years. (partially due to media drivel)

The pathetic use of term, "golden age" that never existed, and the feeling that, based on personality I have more respect for an ant then I do for wayne rooney...the new england captain, by default.

Then I got a strange emotional feeling, a slight goosebump, where I felt quite sad...not just because I was wasting my time thinking about the england team where I had nothing else better to think about, but because we are now so shite and detoriated, that the team needs all the support it can get. They are no longer decent players that cant carry the pressure on their shoulders...its evidently not within them. I dont like any of the players...but I like my country. Thats it. They represent the country on the main stage sporting level of Football...the thing that has historically brought people together.

Supoorting england is not a good deed or a charity...they are all over paid for what they do. Un technical players that run around like 6 year olds with the intellect of hamsters.

(My slightly over exaggerated rant over)...but the pont im making is, watch the game, carry on supporting the team, because we are not big shots anymore (well we never were really) we are crap, and we need support.

England.

Comments

• Options
    I think it is quite sad that England is no longer on my radar, its not like the big lights of the Premier league have distracted me, I rarely watch it, its just you know every time you watch them you are going to be disappointed.
  • Options
    'Club England' can do one.

• Options
    I find it ironic that people have the knives out for the English team at the moment. Talks of boycotts and protests are futile IMO.

It's the premier league that have done the damage to our national team and most of the blame should be fired in their direction if you ask me.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    We'll win on Monday and all will be forgiven.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Things are only going to get worse for England unless the FA address the lack of English players playing in our top league. In the last round of Premier League games only 80 English players were used. This can't be right if we want to succeed as a national side.

I totally understand why the fans has lost interest, Speaking for myself , i have got fed up of England capitulating in tournaments and this past world cup shambles is the one straw that broke the camels back as far as i'm concerned.
    We qualify for tournaments easily enough but when we get there we haven't a clue.
    We have become the Stoke City of International football and it's only going to get worse.

* having said all that i'm going with the kids to the first qualifying game v San Marino in October. Just £20 for adults and £10 for kids and we should see a few goals. lol
  • Options
    You also need to look at the match day experience. Last time I went to Wembly to see England I watched 90 mins of (average) football and took 90 mins to get from the Stadium to the tube station! Swore I would only go again if Charlton were playing!

Personally, at present, I have no confidence in the FA, the Manager, the team or the Captain.
  • Options

I find it ironic that people have the knives out for the English team at the moment. Talks of boycotts and protests are futile IMO.

It's the premier league that have done the damage to our national team and most of the blame should be fired in their direction if you ask me.

i am curious as to why the EPL has supposedly damaged the England team ?
  • Options
    I'll put my full support behind England once there isn't a manager in charge that is about 20 years out-of-date.

Sick of watching slow, boring football that only leads to 2 shots on target in a game against the might of Norway.
  • Options

Simply because of the lack of English players playing in it.
  • Options
    F*** 'em. Difficult to have sympathy and say they're just not good enough when they're on hugely over inflated wages. Rooney's one of the highest paid players in the world yet misses two easy chances in the WC which likely have made a difference.

I doubt if you asked them they would admit they're not good enough and not worthy of any money or accolades. If they're happy to accept, and even push for, more and more money despite doing nothing to justify it then they will just have to accept fans are turning away from them and pointing out that they are mostly shite. I'm sure the vast majority of them couldn't really care less what fans think or do and it wouldn't surprise me if many players and clubs would quite happily see no England team at all. It isn't going to effect them or their income.

I also have no sympathy for any of the idiotic fans who buy/bought into the PL/Sky/FA/Wembley crap and are somehow now surprised that things are getting worse. They also have their share of the blame.

We've always been mostly crap, but at least it used to be sometimes interesting crap and you had some belief that battling away could get us an occasional result against vastly technically superior teams. Now it's just dull as well as crap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A nonsense argument
  • Options

I also dont like these kind of excuses. We should be able to over come them if we are any good.

I would say the EPL has indirectly altered the england teams potential...selling out for more money.
  • Options

Count the number of overseas players and you will have your answer.
  • Options

i honestly do not think that it has to do with the number of overseas players , more to do with lack of decent and integrated coaching at a youth level and esp when it comes to central defenders. The influx of quality and talent should also raise the level of the english players alongside them. More interesting is the lack of English players abroad and the fact that if you only need to find 30 something talented English players, you'd want them to perform in a league and at a level that makes them progress the most. Hence having talented foreign players is actually a bonus.

Its not the top that is wrong , unfortunately it starts at the bottom.

I watched the england games at the WC and there wasnt a lack of passion in your team , they really cared. What there was however is a coach that is so out of debt with the modern game, that lacked to balls to go all out gun ho and esp the quality of the centre backs you guys have is so poor. There's enough quality to go around on other positions but defensively its almost painful to watch
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    colthe3rd said:

A nonsense argument
    Explain why it's nonsense.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Mainly that. The fact that a team like Chelsea can buy a young kid from say,Belgium, and immediately loan him out to a lower based premier league club,that could never afford to buy him, who he then goes onto play regularly for, knocking back the chances of young English kids at that club. The Prem/English FA need to grow a pair and stop things like this happening.
    I say grow a pair,more-like forfeit the financial reward they receive for this and all other foreign import deals, that 'make the premier league the best league in the world' for the good of Englishmen in the English game.

• Options

colthe3rd said:

A nonsense argument
    Has the performance of the England team noticeably deteriorated since the introduction of the Premier League?
  • Options

i honestly do not think that it has to do with the number of overseas players , more to do with lack of decent and integrated coaching at a youth level and esp when it comes to central defenders. The influx of quality and talent should also raise the level of the english players alongside them. More interesting is the lack of English players abroad and the fact that if you only need to find 30 something talented English players, you'd want them to perform in a league and at a level that makes them progress the most. Hence having talented foreign players is actually a bonus.

I watched the england games at the WC and there wasnt a lack of passion in your team , they really cared. What there was however is a coach that is so out of debt with the modern game, that lacked to balls to go all out gun ho and esp the quality of the centre backs you guys have is so poor. There's enough quality to go around on other positions but defensively its almost painful to watch
    I'm not sure it matters who you put in charge of the England team . I actually don't think they are intelligent enough to adapt to a different style at tournament level.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

A nonsense argument
    Has the performance of the England team noticeably deteriorated since the introduction of the Premier League?
    erm. Yes. We haven't got to the last four of a World Cup since two years before it started.
  • Options

I'm not sure it matters who you put in charge of the England team . I actually don't think they are intelligent enough to adapt to a different style at tournament level.
    they just like to run a lot and shoot on sight ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

A nonsense argument
    erm. Yes.
    Has it really? Care to elaborate on that one?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

A nonsense argument
    The introduction of the Premier league was nigh on 20-25 years ago. It's like saying " Has Bethlehem changed much since jesus was scooting about in his sandals."

It has changed massively since inception,yes.

• Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

A nonsense argument
    The introduction of the Premier league was nigh on 20-25 years ago. It's like saying " Has Bethlehem changed much since jesus was scooting about in his sandals."

You what? I was asking about the England team's performance in relation to the Premier League. I'm not sure what question you are answering.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

A nonsense argument

You what? I was asking about the England team's performance in relation to the Premier League. I'm not sure what question you are answering.
    Now you come to mention it.

1966- world cup champions

1986- quarter finals of world cup

1990 -semi-finals of world cup

1991 - premier league introduced

• Options

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

A nonsense argument

Now you come to mention it.

1966- world cup champions

1986- quarter finals of world cup

1990 -semi-finals of world cup

1991 - premier league introduced

Sven
  • Options
    Glad you mentioned those.

1996-2014:
    1 Semi
    4 Quarter Finals
    2 Second Rounds
    2 Group stage
    1 DNQ

1976-1994:
    1 Semi
    1 Quarter Finals
    1 Second Rounds
    3 Group stage
    3 DNQ
  • Options
    If the team has not deteriorated, why are we having this discussion? Whether it is due to the Premier league, or just coincidence (I happen to think it has played a part in it) the evidence of my own eyes tells me the team is as poor as I have seen at the moment. I keep hearing and reading that we need a new manager, but like in this thread, no suggestions as to who that might be are forthcoming. The insistence by a significant number of fans (many of whom claim not to care about England anyway) and a large section of the media that the manager MUST be English is sadly holding things back, if that is indeed the reason for the problems.
  • Options
    That team with Carlton Palmer around 1993 was the worst in my lifetime
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    so a league that only has 22% of players registered from its host country--this has no affect on the quality of its national team ? ---------wot utter boollox.

• Options

80 players as quoted above is ridiculous - one in 4 will make the National squad as we have few, if any, decent exports.