Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wembley to host Euro 2020 final, according to the Germans...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/03/england-euro-2020-final-germany-2024

"England ‘set to host’ Euro 2020 final in return for backing Germany 2024
• German and English FAs discussing deal, say officials
• Plan would mean England staging 2020 final and semis
• England would then support Germany’s bid to host 2024
• Germany would back England’s bid to stage Euro 2028

The Euro 2020 semi-finals and final are set to be played at Wembley as part of a wide-ranging deal between the English and German football associations, according to German officials.

Euro 2020 is being staged in 13 different countries to mark the 60th anniversary of the tournament, with only Wembley and Munich’s Allianz Arena putting in bids to host the final three games ahead of the vote on 19 September.

The deal, reported in the German media, would see Germany drop their bid to stage the three 2020 matches in return for England backing Germany’s campaign to host the Euro 2024 tournament. Germany would also support England’s effort to host the tournament in 2028.

Helmut Sandrock, the German football federation’s general secretary, told Bild magazine: “We’ve spoken with them about it, that they could hold off [applying for] Euro 2024 and support our application.

“In turn we’d forego the Euro 2020 games and support England’s bid for Euro 2028. Giving up our application for the three final matches in 2020 is only on the table if we can be sure to get the tournament in 2024.”

Wolfgang Niersbach, the German FA president, said earlier in the week: “I can confirm that it is our great goal that the whole of Euro 2024 be played exclusively in Germany."
"

Comments

• Options
    Pretty exciting! Be great for us to host the the Euros final semis and then a whole Euro tournament in the space of 8 years.
    Although I am pretty jealous of the German FA President, wish I was called Wolfgang.
  • Options
    Come on Euro 28.

Surely our best chance to end 62 years of hurt.
  • Options
    Do you think we'd really be given the finals and then The tournament 8 years later? I would love it, but I can't see them both happening. Would be great to have a tournament here again, can't see the World Cup happening again for a long time, probably not in my lifetime :(
  • Options
    Wembley confirmed.
  • Options
    you know we will get the games based in Baku !!!
  • Options
    Some very random cities involved. Wonder why Barcelona and Madrid didn't bid.
  • Options
    What are the other places ?
  • Options
    Shag said:

What are the other places ?

Finals + Semis: London
    Quarter-finals and Group stage: Munich, Baku, Saint Petersburg, Rome
    Round of 16 and Group Stage: Copenhagen, Bucharest, Amsterdam, Dublin, Bilbao, Budapest, Brussels, Glasgow
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    cafctom said:

Some very random cities involved. Wonder why Barcelona

Due to the re-development of the Nou Camp?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26902298

Bet the authorities won't like loads of England fans travelling up to Glasgow or Dublin for a couple of games!
  • Options
    well we are going both those place in next few months....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still think it's a ludicrous idea for the travelling fan, but when have we ever mattered, as long at the TV companies are happy and it lines certain peoples pockets.
  • Options
    Baku is very remote. And there is quite a time difference too.
  • Options
    Helmut sandrock sounds like it follows sex on the beach
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Still think it's a ludicrous idea for the travelling fan, but when have we ever mattered, as long at the TV companies are happy and it lines certain peoples pockets.

A lot of the cities within driving distance of England. It is a money spinner but does have its pros. Wouldn't mind a few trips to most of the places selected and in UEFA's defence I'm not sure there was much of a bidding process as the recession was in full swing and no serious countries were ready to commit(that was my understanding anyway, willing to be put right).
  • Options

A lot of the cities within driving distance of England. It is a money spinner but does have its pros. Wouldn't mind a few trips to most of the places selected and in UEFA's defence I'm not sure there was much of a bidding process as the recession was in full swing and no serious countries were ready to commit(that was my understanding anyway, willing to be put right).
    With respect, who wants to bloody drive from England to Europe for a game?
    I wouldn't mind a trip to some of the venues either - I've done a few with England - Bucharest is quality but a tournament should be in one place.
    How on earth is a fan out in Bucharest for a group game going to book and then get to say Baku at 3 days notice??
  • Options

With respect, who wants to bloody drive from England to Europe for a game?
    I wouldn't mind a trip to some of the venues either - I've done a few with England - Bucharest is quality but a tournament should be in one place.
    How on earth is a fan out in Bucharest for a group game going to book and then get to say Baku at 3 days notice??
    But the last two tournaments have been in Ukraine and Brazil. In Brazil fans were travelling vast, vast distances. Is it really all that different?
  • Options
    Strange to have all three games at wembley. Wonder why no one else was interested.