Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone know where this is ?

Comments

• I assume the general beige colour in the crowd is whippet being carried overhead
  • edited September 2014
    Remember quite a few of those names in your team that day Piggy, a couple with other clubs though, Johnny Sissons West Ham, Peter Rodrigues more famously for Saints when they won the cup v Man Ure with a Bobby Stokes goal but particularly Craig, Prendergast and Pugh for your lot. Can't beat a bit of nostalgia :-)
  • LenGlover said:

Did you go Piggy or are you a youngster?

Sadly not mate but my Uncle did and Pele was amazing, no one could touch him that day.

Or most days. I wonder if the gap between Div 1 players and Div 2 players was as great in those days?
    I very much doubt it, even right up to the late 80s you had second division players playing for England.

You may have done - we didn't.

I remember 1,2,3,5,8,9 and 11.
    2,9,& 10 for Santos.
  • LenGlover said:

Did you go Piggy or are you a youngster?

Sadly not mate but my Uncle did and Pele was amazing, no one could touch him that day.

Or most days. I wonder if the gap between Div 1 players and Div 2 players was as great in those days?
    I very much doubt it, even right up to the late 80s you had second division players playing for England.

I seem to remember Reg Mathews being regular England goalkeeper when playing for Coventry in

the old Third Division.

• edited September 2014
    Ray Wilson of the 1966 World Cup Winners played for England and Huddersfield Town in the second tier from 1960 to 1964 before transferring to Everton. Terry Paine part of the 1966 England squad also played with second tier Saints at that time
  • Santos won that game 2-0, it was originally due to be played at 7.30 but due the a national coal strike, energy had to be saved so the floodlights couldn't be used, so it was switched to a 2.30 kick off on a Wednesday afternoon. Many schools were deserted that day with kids and even teachers not turning in due to Pele being at Hillsborough.

That's me done guys lol

Had television not reached Sheffield by 1972?

Great pic though OP

• Sissons was a very decent player.
  • RedChaser said:

Ray Wilson of the 1966 World Cup Winners played for England and Huddersfield Town in the second tier from 1960 to 1964 before transferring to Everton. Terry Paine part of the 1966 England squad also played with second tier Saints at that time

Ray Wilson played for Hudds in the game we won 7-6 at the Valley.

• Sponsored links:

• edited September 2014
    Mike Bailey was capped by England c 1964 playing in the second division for us.

Terry Paine was in the 1966 World Cup Squad as a Southampton player when they were division 2.
  • RedChaser said:

Let me guess, you were one of the 100,000 there that day :-)
  • RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

I was there. Mr. Shankly was not a happy man.

• Stig said:

Wasn't that Rildo that showed up on SSN last night?

I wonder if there'll ever be a Brazilian footballer called Dildo ?
  • edited September 2014

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

I was there. Mr. Shankly was not a happy man.

My Dad would have been there but sad to say my earliest recollection of going to games was later that 57/58 season when he took me to the 4-1 away win at Ipswich on Lewis Coaches. Happy days :-)
  • Selhurst
  • RedChaser said:

Remember quite a few of those names in your team that day Piggy, a couple with other clubs though, Johnny Sissons West Ham, Peter Rodrigues more famously for Saints when they won the cup v Man Ure with a Bobby Stokes goal but particularly Craig, Prendergast and Pugh for your lot. Can't beat a bit of nostalgia :-)

Graham Pugh's son Jimmy is a mate of mine actually, Graham went on to be a pub landlord (like most of them ;)) and Jimmy was a brilliant footballer himself (I played some games with him in training etc) but he never hit it big time and after they all moved to Lincoln to another boozer Jimmy had a spell at non league Lincoln Utd, shame because he had it in him but he liked his booze and women too much owd lad.

• edited September 2014
    By the way, apart from Henry (Impressive mate) did anyone else know it was Wednesday v Santos at Hillsborough?

• I knew it was Wednesday at Hillsborough, hadn't worked out Santos.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2014

By the way, apart from Henry (Impressive mate) did anyone else know it was Wednesday v Santos at Hillsborough?

Nope, my initial thought was that's Albert Johanneson of Leeds on the ball with possibly Norman Hunter in the background.

Yeah Santos was a hard one, I was surprised Henry got it so quick actually.
  • Pele often talks about that friendly as being the highlight of his career....................
  • Pele often talks about that friendly as being the highlight of his career....................

He wanted to sign for us but we had Prendergast ;)

• RedChaser said:

Graham Pugh's son Jimmy is a mate of mine actually, Graham went on to be a pub landlord (like most of them ;)) and Jimmy was a brilliant footballer himself (I played some games with him in training etc) but he never hit it big time and after they all moved to Lincoln to another boozer Jimmy had a spell at non league Lincoln Utd, shame because he had it in him but he liked his booze and women too much owd lad.

Likewise, I had a few team mates who got distracted by wine, women and song :-)
  • Is that Andy delort 3rd from right? Must be Wigan.

FFS Pele is the most famous footballer ever.

He was wearing a Santos shirt

It was posted by OP

It was the Kop at Hillsborough

I was born in the 60s

Who else could it be?

: - )

• RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Got to be better than wanting wine, women and song and missing out because you were a good footballer! Having siad that, can't think of too many footballers who miss out....

He just Googled DunsbyOwl and Pele ;-)

• RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Got to be better than wanting wine, women and song and missing out because you were a good footballer! Having siad that, can't think of too many footballers who miss out....
    Once they've made it, can't disagree :-)