Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: Typical Charlton Deadline Deadlock?

13»

Comments

• I guess it's either glass half empty or glass half full, I fall into the former, and see the lack of input typical, cue the club statement to try and placate us. it doesn't work for me.

Only half empty ?

• edited September 2014
    Using the youth system I would agree with and nothing better as a supporter seeing the young guys come through the ranks and wearing the mighty red and now white shirt. However the problem we have had with past regimes is keeping these young starlets. The new mob seem to know this already as a previous weakness and I am sure we can overcome this in future with longer contracts and the new training facilities and new money that this all needs. The other problem is that we haven't always produced enough young players in the right positions, striker being the main area so the club should also try and find the next Defoe, not always easy and with every success lots of failures....expensive business football
  • I am greatly impressed again by the sure - footed communication by KM. It is exactly what I would have said we're I to have been involved in negotiations which went to the wire.

What hacks me off is the cut off time at 11.00pm apparently did not apply to the deals for Welbeck, Falcao, or Cleverley. The latter was not completed until 1.15am but all three have been allowed on appeal. So when KM says that we worked on the two players deals but could not get them done before the deadline, I wonder which deadline we were working to?
  • barstool said:

Using the youth system I would agree with and nothing better as a supporter seeing the young guys come through the ranks and wearing the mighty red and now white shirt. However the problem we have had with past regimes is keeping these young starlets. The new mob seem to know this already as a previous weakness and I am sure we can overcome this in future with longer contracts and the new training facilities and new money that this all needs. The other problem is that we haven't always produced enough young players in the right positions, striker being the main area so the club should also try and find the next Defoe, not always easy and with every success lots of failures....expensive business football

I think that is why RD wants us to get Category 1, not only to hold onto our best youngsters but allows us to pickup good youngsters from other clubs not in Category 1
  • A signing like Yann a few years ago to really get the pulses racing would have been great as we all fear Igor the great getting crocked and having a lack of a decent plan B up top.

With midfield looking like a very strong area for us I just wonder if Big Bob might tinker with a 4-5-1/4-4-1-1 to get the best out of the squad if we lose a couple on the trot.

Or maybe adopt the Craig Levein approach and go 5-5-0.!
    You want to drop igor?? ;)
  • I don't remember being that excited when we signed Yann Kermorgant. All I knew about him was that he had previously worked with Chris Powell and that he had been shunned by Leicester following that penalty. So for me it was very much a case of hoping CP was right without really expecting anything special. I do remember getting very excited when he scored within seconds of coming on at Sheffield United though - and never looked back from that point on. At least, until he decided that life was just a bowl of cherries and upped sticks for the south coast.

As for signings that I have got excited about, I don't think any of them have been at the end of a transfer window: Darren Bent (1st June), Dennis Rommedahl (1st July), Paolo Di Canio (11th August). Have we ever made any really exciting, or with hindsight, really important signings on the last day?
  • You don't remember Jesper Blomqvist, then, @Stig?!
  • Nice one, and Robbie Mustoe on the same day. What a great day's business that was!
  • Last night's Standard suggested free agent Sylvan Ethan-Blake could be on his way in.
  • I guess it's either glass half empty or glass half full, I fall into the former, and see the lack of input typical, cue the club statement to try and placate us. it doesn't work for me.

Only half empty ?

the club print off these statements at any given opportunity and just simply change the date.
  • Sponsored links:

• I believe we had a go for Delort but refused to pay silly money. Also we got an explanation on the site regarding our non signings, that's a first!
    There is a loan window now and that could be very interesting as a number of Premier teams have decent players who cannot even make the bench.
  • did we really try to get Ruiz in,did we really try to get Bent in,did we really or did this get put out to make us feel important when they knew there was no chance
  • edited September 2014
    doronron said:

did we really try to get Ruiz in,did we really try to get Bent in,did we really or did this get put out to make us feel important when they knew there was no chance

What like we didn't bid for Chris O'Grady?

Or how we wouldn't sign anyone unless it was a totally shit cast off from a network club?

I don't recall anyone at the club mentioning names. Two players was the actual line.

• posted without reading

If Igor gets injured then we are fooked. Currently he is the only one scoring & up until now BB has been using Church as a replacement for Tucedean,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and we all know what Church can not do.

cant have been an error that the 9 shirt has been left empty - time will tell.
  • posted without reading

If Igor gets injured then we are fooked. Currently he is the only one scoring & up until now BB has been using Church as a replacement for Tucedean,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and we all know what Church can not do.

That' s more like it Golfie, get them negative vibes going :-0
  • edited September 2014
    how many teams actually have two prolific strikers even in the prem, you cant go thinking if igor gets injured we are fooked, if it happens how we deal with it will be key, we all dream of a 20 plus a season striker , 2 is stuff of fantasy
  • edited September 2014
    Loan window opens soon anyway. No big deal.
  • RedChaser said:

posted without reading

Why is that negative ? I'd say Golfie is merely pointing out a fact. Church has had numerous occasions to stake a place in the side and unfortunately, he's not up to it, Pigott is obviously someone the club rates but he need games under his belt, Tucudean is acclimatising. Without Igor's goals we'd be in a similar position to last season. Finally on Church I don't agree with fans not supporting him when he's playing but he clearly isn't good enough.
  • Palace resign Andy Johnson until January.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2014
    Spanish said:

RedChaser said:

posted without reading

Why is that negative ? I'd say Golfie is merely pointing out a fact. Church has had numerous occasions to stake a place in the side and unfortunately, he's not up to it, Pigott is obviously someone the club rates but he need games under his belt, Tucudean is acclimatising. Without Igor's goals we'd be in a similar position to last season. Finally on Church I don't agree with fans not supporting him when he's playing but he clearly isn't good enough.
    @Spanish‌ See @nthlondonaddick post, which was spot on, immediately after Golfie's and mine. How can you say at this juncture with the loan transfer window to come and players out of contact that we will be 'fooked'? I don't disagree with your analysis of our present striking options at all but to say that at this juncture we are 'fooked' is typical of someone who often only has eyes for a worse possible case scenario. Now if Golfie has a crystal ball then perhaps he could PM me with this week's lottery numbers. :-)

As many have said it's all 'what if' Igor gets injured, hopefully he won't and hopefully there is another striker to come in. If not, also being mindful of the African Nations Cup, then we get on with what we have and IMO that is still good enough with the right tactics maybe 4-3-3 on attack, 4-5-1 when defending, to see us mid table and still better than last season. Oh, and Golfie is wrong by saying that BB is using Church as cover for George, this was the case at Brighton but of course Moussa came on to replace him at Udders, the two home games and scored the winner v Wigan!
  • we arent the finished article as a squad, however considering where we were last season this is dreamland, 5 goals in as many games for Igor, Gunners looking quality first touch and distribution ( as soon as a wordly goes in others will follow) defence is solid, in my view 2 good keepers, Buyens looks great, Bob is great, its a step up but a work in progress, we won't be had over a barrel and we see what we can do in the loan window...

Overall it's a very good start, great aquisitions over the summer, and that knob with the tatooed tear can kiss it as far as Im concerned, we dodged an $XXXXXXX a week bullet...

We move on...
  • I understand that BB has a cunning plan to solve our striker "problem"

This will see Morro reinstated in the team whilst providing Igor with a strike partner of some substance.

Step forward Andre Bikey-Amougou.

Simples.

• As soon as Henderson gets injured we are fooked...as soon as...nope can't think of anywhere else we are thin on the ground.(aside from Vetokele above)
    We have a vacant #9 shirt and we need a couple of bodies to ensure we get to the January window with decent results...
    September will tell us just how good we have become and anyone watching, be they CAFC fan or pundit can make a sensible assessment.
    Our promotion odds have shrunk from 20:1 to 12:1 since the kick-off vs Brentford. Not saying we will definitely win vs Watford and Wolves but four points will make a lot of people sit up.
    So I hope we get in the right loans to max our chances and have every confidence that CAFC will give it their best shot.
  • Maybe we could get the players we were negotiating with up to deadline, on loan until January with an option to buy then, would give Bob a good chance to check them out. Don't know if this feasible or not. BTW this is my first post above 2 words, which were 'Derek Ufton'

You forgot your Gordon Lightfoot post : - )
  • Maybe we could get the players we were negotiating with up to deadline, on loan until January with an option to buy then, would give Bob a good chance to check them out. Don't know if this feasible or not. BTW this is my first post above 2 words, which were 'Derek Ufton'

You forgot your Gordon Lightfoot post : - )
    You read my mind Henry !

• So I did, getting a bit senile in my old age. You guys are sharp!
  • Very quickly, just to let you know who you are dealing with here!! First game at the valley 1952/3 season , Dad took me , against Stoke City, we won, 4-1 or 5-1 cant remember exactly. Grew up supporting Charlton, Emigrated to Canada 1972 but always go to a game when we come over, usually every 2 years. Will be over at the end of this season, not sure dates yet. So there you are, another lifelong supporter from the colonies.