Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cousins fed up on the wing

2»

Comments

• Options

Scoham said:

Bob seems pretty set on playing 4-4-2, I think it'll at least continue that way for a while.

I reckon we should play five in the middle with Vetokele on his own playing him like we did with Bent in his first season.
    I really agree with this. In fact it worries me a little that BB so far just sticks with his 4-4-2. But then who am I to argue as so far the record is good. Just think Cousins should be in the middle.
  • Options

dizzee said:

2 more years? What ever happened to footballers staying at a club I.e Totti and Gerrard?

But they stayed at clubs that were their level! Unless we kick on massively then in 2 years if he's still with us he won't be fulfilling his potential...
    When Roma went through bad spells through the years Totti and De Rossi stuck with them and have come out the other side... That's what I call true footballers.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Part me thinks you mate a either over doing this or its utter balls.

In all his interviews he seems one of the most down to earth, feet firmly on the ground players we have and enjoys playing his football, I agree he should be in the middle but he is still young and has to be patient, atleast he is still playing and it think he appreciates that.

When I spoke to him at the player awards he said to me he loves it here and where he has played here all his life he feels like he's at home, and said he prefers the middle but does not mind the wing because he started of as a fullback.

I think maybe after one game Jordan moaned a bit because he didn't perform but not for 1 minute do I think he is looking for a way out.
  • Options
    Whichever way the front six evolves in September it is going to consist at least Vetokele, Buyens, Gudmundsson and Bulot. We have subs and in my opinion we need another top striker. So the other four or five slots including subs might be Wilson, Cousins, Jackson, Tucudean and new striker.
    Whatever the formation they need to play together a few games - yesterday they looked far far better than Brentford aside from Cousins 10 minute 'mare second half. So:

Gudmondsson, Buyens, Jackson/Cousins, Bulot
    With Vetokele & new player up front.
    Let's see who comes in and how they set up vs Watford ~ would love to get results vs them and Wolves as that sets us up for the best season since 2005/06.
  • Options

Whichever way the front six evolves in September it is going to consist at least Vetokele, Buyens, Gudmundsson and Bulot. We have subs and in my opinion we need another top striker. So the other four or five slots including subs might be Wilson, Cousins, Jackson, Tucudean and new striker.
    Whatever the formation they need to play together a few games - yesterday they looked far far better than Brentford aside from Cousins 10 minute 'mare second half. So:

Gudmondsson, Buyens, Jackson/Cousins, Bulot
    With Vetokele & new player up front.
    Let's see who comes in and how they set up vs Watford ~ would love to get results vs them and Wolves as that sets us up for the best season since 2005/06.

You don't fancy Moussa then, sr ? ( In the footballing sense, of course)

Have to say that he hasn't impressed me so far when he's been on the pitch.

• Options
    edited August 2014

Part me thinks you mate a either over doing this or its utter balls.

In all his interviews he seems one of the most down to earth, feet firmly on the ground players we have and enjoys playing his football, I agree he should be in the middle but he is still young and has to be patient, atleast he is still playing and it think he appreciates that.

When I spoke to him at the player awards he said to me he loves it here and where he has played here all his life he feels like he's at home, and said he prefers the middle but does not mind the wing because he started of as a fullback.

I think maybe after one game Jordan moaned a bit because he didn't perform but not for 1 minute do I think he is looking for a way out.

I agree I think he is a down to earth kid, but again in fairness what he says to you at the player awards/says in the press is not the same as what he really thinks - I don't think many 19 year olds would publically moan (at a club event no less) of being played out of position. Fact of the matter is I doubt he'll be happy being played on the left all season, and I certainly don't want to see him there - reckon if it stays the case he could start looking at other options. As other have said, he's much better suited to playing centrally, and I hope Peeters sees that
  • Options
    Awe poor ickle sausage!
  • Options
    I actually think Jordan ought to be praised for making the effort to do a job for BB in a position he more than likely doesn't fancy.

Yes I know he is well paid, and ought to always show good technique because he is a professional footballer, but to go to the absurd end of the spectrum most of us would agree that if Jack Munns was asked to play goalkeeper he would do it, and do his best, but it's probably not his best position, or indeed the way to get the best out of a player.

In the (very admirable) post Brighton interview Igor says something like 'I'm a goal scorer, so I'm doing a job for the team, it's important for a goalscorer to be efficient'...the bit that stands out is 'I'm a goalscorer' rather than 'I'm a footballer who plays wherever he can to get in the team'. Obviously like Jordan Cousins, Igor would do as asked, but it may not be his preference...anyway I think Igor would be wasted in goal :-).

I have used extreme examples, but I believe in this case with Jordan Cousins he needs cutting a bit of slack....mind you if Munns plays in goal and lets in six, then he deserves a slating :-).
  • Options
    Sounds like Jackson had a decent game yesterday according to match reports I've read today and a quick look through the player marks thread.
  • Options
    I'm fed up sometimes but life moves on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thing is neither Buyins and JJ are the future.

One is on loan and the other is 32.

Difficult balancing act to keep the younger player playing AND the team strong

Its a difficult compromise, but for the manager the priority has to be a strong squad and a match day squad that he believes in. At least Cousins is getting in the team and does get shifted into the middle at times. BP cannot pick the team based on what the player wants but what is best for the team. I do worry that Cousins will become disillusioned but you cannot raelly argue with results so far.
  • Options
    @Fanny Fanackapan‌ I've only seen Moussa for 1/2 hour as I missed Huddersfield (luckily) and the cup games. So hard to judge him.
    I've seen enough of Tucudean and read enough comments to suggest that he fills a slot but we can and should do better!
    The thing is that when this new front six breaks there are chances and goals in it. Really hope we stay lucky and continue to develop as this is potentially the best team for years.
    So so good to have hope again not least because of my tenner bet with @operationpig‌!
  • Options
    Cousins will play where asked. He will give his all and work as hard as he can. I think he started the season well but has been off the boil in the last couple of matches. It is human nature that when things are going well you carry on and when they aren't you start to question why. He would prefer to play central I'm sure.

It is often a conundrum for managers. How and where to play your best players when they all deserve to play. Remember England managers trying to ensure Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes played in the same team so Scholes, to little effect, was shunted out wide?

I think what we saw Brighton do, and other teams will do from now is show Cousins the outside, encouraging him to go that way. He won't of course so checks back inside, finds his options limited and ends up going backwards or giving it away.

I suspect he will be benched next game and will play when either Jackson or Buyens don't.
  • Options
    I think the thing we must remember is, this is a new team, half of them were not here last year, the head coach was not here, he has to get his ideas over to all the players, old and new. I know they train together, but there is nothing like a match, to refine those tactics. As has been said, see where we are after 10 matches, see what squad RD has got together. The good thing is, why the players are getting used to playing together, we are not losing. It is a shame we have international players really, they could have spent the next two weeks refining team work, but we all love having good players. You also never hear about the two new coaches BP brought in, anyone hear anything about them?
  • Options
    JJ still worthy of place. Team lacks leadership without him.
  • Options

J BLOCK said:

Joe Gomez favourited a tweet form someone saying spurs should sign him .. Saw it other day

That's really disappointing.
    One thing to remember is that on Twitter, favoriting is how you mark tweets you want to refer back to later. It may not be as sinister as it looks! At any rate he is young and no doubt will want to end up in the Premier League - the tweet to him may be being taken as a compliment rather than a burning desire to quit CAFC!
  • Options

J BLOCK said:

Joe Gomez favourited a tweet form someone saying spurs should sign him .. Saw it other day

One thing to remember is that on Twitter, favoriting is how you mark tweets you want to refer back to later. It may not be as sinister as it looks! At any rate he is young and no doubt will want to end up in the Premier League - the tweet to him may be being taken as a compliment rather than a burning desire to quit CAFC!
    Could just be a bit of banter given that he's a big Arsenal fan
  • Options
    I don't think too much should be read into the Cousins out wide thing at the moment. We're 5 games into a 46 game season - the chances of the skipper still regularly playing centrally at the end of the season l think are minimal.

My take is that Johnnie is currently in the team almost as much for his experience and league know-how as anything. We've started the season with 7 blokes in the team who are new to the club. 4 of them have never played in the league before. You need someone on the pitch who can talk new players through games, opponents etc - the coach knows that, and that's Jackson, even more so with Morrison out of the side. As the season goes on and the team are more used to each other, Jackson will be needed less for that reason.

Also, as winter comes around, pitches get heavier etc, l'm sure Cousins' extra energy and fitness will be much more to the fore in a central position where Johnnie may well start to find things more difficult.

So, in short, l reckon it's a bit early in the season to read too much into who plays where - it will definitely change as we go on.
  • Options

J BLOCK said:

I get you, but now...with the talk about a move to Liverpool or Newcastle it doesn't look great plus the favourite. Not saying it's looking bad but far from ideal.
  • Options
    Jackson offers more in the centre than cousins does imo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kipper23 said:

After the Wigan game I bumped into an old mate of mine who happens to be a relative of Jordan Cousins.

Convenient!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Have you been drinking Dazzler?
  • Options
    I personally think a 5 man midfield with Yoni and Cousins behind Jacko would work.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

Have you been drinking Dazzler?

Yep knocking em back at 2pm!?!?!?

Who do you think I am?