Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brighton and Hove Albion vs Charlton Ath | Sat 30th August 2014 | Match Preview and Predictions

Tuesday saw the first competitive defeat for Bob Peeters and his Addicks as Charlton lost 1-0 to Derby in the Capital One Cup.

Whilst the defeat wasn’t too big a disappointment, Peeters will certainly be hoping that his side can continue their unbeaten streak in the league on Saturday, away at Brighton.

This will be the Addicks third appearance at the Amex stadium and they will be hoping to secure their first ever win there after drawing 0-0 in 2013 and losing 3-0 last season.

The Opposition

Life under Sami Hyypia has only just started to click in to place for Brighton after the ex-Liverpool centre-back arrived to manage the side last June.

Brighton started the season poorly by losing games against Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham. However, the Seagulls have won their last two league games against Leeds and Bolton to help push them up the table.

Brighton’s recent results coincides with their good pieces of business in the transfer window. In the past few weeks, Sam Baldock (from Bristol City), Joe Bennett and Gary Gardner (both on loan-from Aston Villa) are just some of the names that have arrived at the club to add greater strength to Hyypia’s squad.

PAULIE’S HIGHLIGHTED PLAYERS TO WATCH:

Brighton:

The Seagulls’ player to watch this weekend is playmaker João Carlos Teixeira, who is on loan from Liverpool.

The 21-year-old has scored in his last two games for the club and has received praise from boss Hyypia who stated in a recent interview: “‘we need quality from the other players so that we can get him on the ball in dangerous areas and he can score goals.”

Teixeira will probably play just behind Craig Mackail-Smith, although recent signing Sam Baldock and summer addition Chris O’Grady will also be pushing for starting spots.

If you’re not aware of Teixeira’s ability, take a look at this ‘Izale McLeod’ style YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAXoVzlHtiQ

Charlton:

The Addicks’ player to watch this Saturday is centre-back Andre Bikey.

The Cameroon-international has been very impressive since his arrival in the summer and will need to be on top form to help Charlton to get a result this weekend especially with the threat that Brighton have going forward.

As well as being a ‘rock’ at the back, Bikey has helped contribute going forward by assisting Igor Vetokele to score the equaliser against Huddersfield last weekend, which can be seen below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X06K5NQ27wk&list=UU99akEsugT_s4tv_r2oxuOQ

The Line –Up

The poor performance away at Huddersfield last weekend will certainly be in the mind of Bob Peeters ahead of Saturday’s match at Brighton.

In goal, Nick Pope will probably continue as Stephen Henderson is still a doubt for Saturday.

In defence, Tal Ben Haim, Chris Solly and Rhoys Wiggins should return following a rest in midweek to partner Bikey.

In midfield, the four of Gudmundsson, Buyens, Jackson and Cousins are likely to be included in the side.

And upfront, Igor Vetokele may be partnered by George Tucudean again, although Franck Moussa will be pushing for a spot in the ‘number 10’ role just behind the main striker.

The Prediction

Two good sides with two fairly new managers means a decent game is on the cards.

I’ll go for a 1-1 draw.

Comments

• Usually try and remain positive when it comes to predictions.

However with Brightons new additions, especially Baldock and their win at home last Saturday i think they might just edge us 2-1. Also that was the first time I've seen those extended highlights from the Huddersfield game, Pope looks very, very sluggish and although that was a great save I think Brighton will be eager to test him on Saturday. Really hope I'm wrong and we get something from the game. A point would be excellent in my book.
    Gudmundsson to score for us.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Tricky game. Would be happy with a draw.

2-0 Charlton
  • I look at the Brighton squad and I cannot believe they haven't got promoted. Our squad looks quite good but theirs is full of talent. The fact that Christ o Grady and Sam bald I won't even start.
  • Fancy Brighton by 2 but hope I am wrong
  • Can't see past a 5-0 defeat.
  • Brighton 1 Charlton 2 I'm going for just because that was the score 22 years ago Gorman and lee I believe scoring last time I saw this fixture live! This time round Vetokele and gudmusson will score
  • Went to this match last year and we were truly awful. I think we managed only one shot on target. Hoping that we fare better this time around although I am told by my Villa mate that the two lads on loan are pretty useful. Also I noticed their stats from last Saturday, 26 shots, 11 on target! Can't see anything other than a defeat by at least 2 goals. Come on Charlton, prove me wrong!
  • Sponsored links:

• Really tough game. Think we will lose by 1 or 2.

Looking through the fixture list this season there are a hell of a lot of tough away games. Would take a point big time on Saturday
  • take a point

2-0 defeat unfortunately
  • I'd play Gomez instead of Solly because at the moment he looks the better player. Keep the same team we played against Derby at the Valley. High pressing, pacey game, happy with another away draw. 1-1
  • Im normally optimistic but got a bad feeling about this one, think we will lose.

Hopefully we play well though.

• 2-0 defeat and Big bad bald Belgian Bob's honeymoon is officially over .
  • 2-2, all this talk about Brighton being a brilliant squad (which they are), but so are we, we'll get a decent result. I'll be very happy with a point going into the break.
  • to add on to that, Il say Jackson gets off the mark as well as buyens, just not with a penalty this time
  • edited August 2014
    I would like to think we could 'nick' 3 points here, however I'd take a 1-1 draw....................match thread from 2 pm
  • colin1961 said:

Tough game at a place we don't do every well at new or old ground ...
    Go 2-0 to Brighron but this would be my team . 4-2-3-1
    Pope / Henderson
    Solly
    Bikey
    TBH
    Wiggins if fit

Cousins
    Gomaz
    Reason is they would give us so much energy and could cover full backs

Gudmunson
    Buyons
    Harriott

Vetokele

Think this team could get a result

Thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-0 win. Vetokele with the goal.
  • I suspect our first league defeat, and would be very happy with a point.
  • Let 'em be... We're not been beaten so far this season for a reason
  • Let 'em be... We're not been beaten so far this season for a reason
    Yep, we got lucky in the 92nd minute.
  • Oggy Red said:

Let 'em be... We're not been beaten so far this season for a reason
    Yep, we got lucky in the 92nd minute.
    And were unlucky in the 85th minutes against Brentford...
  • I wasn't digging you out, FA ....... I read your post and wrote the response that came instantly to mind.

Perhaps I should have included a smiley!

;o)
  • Went to this match last year and we were truly awful. I think we managed only one shot on target. Hoping that we fare better this time around although I am told by my Villa mate that the two lads on loan are pretty useful. Also I noticed their stats from last Saturday, 26 shots, 11 on target! Can't see anything other than a defeat by at least 2 goals. Come on Charlton, prove me wrong!

Prove me and the bookies wrong as well, as we are 11-4 to win with the seagulls 5-6 on.

It's important the 2000 cafc odd fans (some more odd than others) keep behind the boys as the roller coaster gathers momentum.

I'm just so relieved that we are playing championship football after the debacle of last season.

• edited August 2014
    Oggy Red said:

I wasn't digging you out, FA ....... I read your post and wrote the response that came instantly to mind.

Perhaps I should have included a smiley!

;o)

Ahhh apologies @Oggy_Red :)