Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Darren Bent

Looks like Jimmy Floyd these days from behind. Shocking how unfit he now is. Still looked relatively decent in the Villa highlights.

Comments

• Would you take him back if he was available at a reasonable price?
  • Id have him back at the club without question.
  • Part of me doesnt think it'll be too long before he's a Championship player again
  • Rumoured to be on £70k a week though
  • jamescafc said:

Rumoured to be on £70k a week though

Yeah I thought he'd be on a lot... When does his Contract expire?
  • Such a shame that his career went down the toilet. I know he's picked up an obscene salary for many years but he could have been the best English striker of his generation and now he's an overweight has been who will be desperately searching for a final big payday when his contract expires.
  • As I understand it, he doesn't have the footballing brain to be the striker of his generation.

Nope, the fire has well and truly gone out.

This is the downside of the huge wages in the game, players like Bent are set for life by their mid 20s - by the age of 30 they could not give a fuck any more.

Sure, they'll go through the motions and try a little harder at contract time but the hunger has long gone.

This is the downside of the huge wages in the game, players like Bent are set for life by their mid 20s - by the age of 30 they could not give a fuck any more.

Sure, they'll go through the motions and try a little harder at contract time but the hunger has long gone.
    I think that is a bit harsh on Bent. More to do with successive managers shipping him out to reduce the wage bill.

• Sponsored links:

I think that is a bit harsh on Bent. More to do with successive managers shipping him out to reduce the wage bill.

They wouldn't have done that if he was producing the goods though. Biggest mistake he made was leaving us. Second biggest was leaving Sunderland. After that, it all went tits up.
  • Rizzo said:

Would you take him back if he was available at a reasonable price?

They wouldn't have done that if he was producing the goods though. Biggest mistake he made was leaving us. Second biggest was leaving Sunderland. After that, it all went tits up.
    Biggest mistake was leaving us for Spuds... Hate to say it but West Ham would probably have been the better move for him.

He was just a prat with Sunderland though

Maybe, but he has clearly put on weight, I barely recognised his body shape last night and his failure to even bail down a place at relegated Fulham was pretty damning.

A real wasted talent since leaving Sunderland, started well at Villa but then faded badly - but has been unlucky with managers.

Maybe, but he has clearly put on weight, I barely recognised his body shape last night and his failure to even bail down a place at relegated Fulham was pretty damning.

A real wasted talent since leaving Sunderland, started well at Villa but then faded badly - but has been unlucky with managers.
    For a player of his sort, sitting on the shoulder of the final defender, pace is everything. When you start slowing down, whether it's down to aging, injury or junk food, then you lose your effectiveness. Michael Owen for example was nothing without his lightning pace
  • Would take him back in a heart beat! Just look at his record! When he plays he scores!
  • Did Paul Lambert say once, that Darren Bent would not play for Villa again or am I mistaken.
  • Would take him back in a heart beat! Just look at his record! When he plays he scores!

3 goals in 24 games last season suggest he's lost it.

For some bizarre reason, people said the same when we resigned Jason Euell 3 years ago, despite hardly scoring a goal since the mid 2000s!
  • Derek1952 said:

Did Paul Lambert say once, that Darren Bent would not play for Villa again or am I mistaken.

Same with Alan Hutton, but said before the beginning of the season that he was willing to give both of them another chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Part of me doesnt think it'll be too long before he's a Championship player again

Already is in my opinion.

Couldnt get a decent run in the fulham side and they got relegated.

Id take him back but fully on our terms and not breaking the bank to get him. Its his choice if he wants 1st team action.

I expect him to follow where the money is...wouldnt massively blame him.

3 goals in 24 games last season suggest he's lost it.
    And how many of those games were from the bench? A bit of fitness he would be far too good for the championship!
  • Steve bruce knew how to play him.
  • His big mistake was leaving Sunderland, he was doing well for them and the Villa move never worked out right. from the day Lambert walked in there he was dropping Bent. Sadly successive managers have humiliated him - Errickson taking a 16 year old kid to the World Cup when we needed a fit striker and he was top English born striker, Rednapp with his Sandra comment and Lambert sticking him in the reserves from the day he walked into Villa.

I'd take him back but only of he could get fit before hand.
  • edited August 2014
    I'm not so sure. I think the hunger's gone (at least it looks like he's eaten enough to see to that). Though you never know, maybe a move back to the club that made him and their adoring fans would motivate him enough for another decent season or two.
  • I'm not so sure. I think the hunger's gone (at least it looks like he's eaten enough to see to that). Though you never know, maybe a move back to the club that made him and their adoring fans would motivate him enough for another decent season or two.

Ipswich?
  • Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
    2001–2005 Ipswich Town 122 (48)
    2005–2007 Charlton Athletic 68 (31)
    2007–2009 Tottenham Hotspur 60 (18)
    2009–2011 Sunderland 58 (32)
    2011– Aston Villa 55 (21)
    2013–2014 → Fulham (loan) 24 (3)

Deserves another chance, but needs to work hard to get fit for it.
  • Wouldn't want us to go near him now to be honest. Good player in his day but never had the technical ability to be great and without the physical/pacey side to his game he'd struggle even in the championship.

Fond memories and helped us out a lot when we got relegated but no thanks.
  • Rizzo said:

Would you take him back if he was available at a reasonable price?

Biggest mistake was leaving us for Spuds... Hate to say it but West Ham would probably have been the better move for him.

He was just a prat with Sunderland though
    I make you right there. I still wonder why Spurs bought him tbh. We werent set up for a player that sat on the the shoulder of the last defender then. All the creativity of that Spurs team came from Berbatov and Keane and he was never going to displace the pair of them in the form they were in when he signed. It was only when Redknapp took over that the creativity started to come from deeper which he would have thrived on.

Of course, hindsight is a wonderful thing...
  • I loved Dazza when he was in his prime but I feel he's done now. I'm happy with Igor up top as we finally have a top striker here that can replicate the scoring of Bent (Hopefully).