Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Frank Lampard retires from international football

It's only taken him this long to announce since the end of the WC......

Comments

• Good, time for Barkley, Wilshere, Rodwell (now he's actually playing) Lallana, Ox and the rest to really step up and move England along. Lampard, Gerrard, Cole, Terry and Ferdinand were all to blame for the huge hype surrounding England since 2006, and in that time we failed to qualify for the euros, underperformed in SA, played average football in the Euros again and then completely bombed in Brazil (though most of them had already given up by this point)
  • Now we just need a manager brave enough to give the talent a chance.
  • That's good of him.
  • Thank God for that
  • Or should i say thank Delort for that
  • sam3110 said:

Good, time for Barkley, Wilshere, Rodwell (now he's actually playing) Lallana, Ox and the rest to really step up and move England along. Lampard, Gerrard, Cole, Terry and Ferdinand were all to blame for the huge hype surrounding England since 2006, and in that time we failed to qualify for the euros, underperformed in SA, played average football in the Euros again and then completely bombed in Brazil (though most of them had already given up by this point)

Agreed. Except remove Wilshere. Never going to make it. Looks weak, out of his depth, terrible WC in Brazil. Plays for an overrated club team and doesn't even turn it on for them. Add to that the arrogance of the smoking, that boy's got West Ham written all over him in about 2 years time, or Villa. Some mid table prem team
  • sam3110 said:

Good, time for Barkley, Wilshere, Rodwell (now he's actually playing) Lallana, Ox and the rest to really step up and move England along. Lampard, Gerrard, Cole, Terry and Ferdinand were all to blame for the huge hype surrounding England since 2006, and in that time we failed to qualify for the euros, underperformed in SA, played average football in the Euros again and then completely bombed in Brazil (though most of them had already given up by this point)

How were the players to blame for the hype? Its not them piling the pressure on every 2 years when the nation suddenly seems to give a rats arse about their national team... Maybe the fact that we didn't perform in tournaments they can be blamed for!

For what its worth, I really rated Lampard for England. Always thought we had more balance in the games it was him and another rather than St Stevie Lad of Anfield. Add to that the fact he's a genuine person and would rarely miss the dull friendlies unlike some others... Hopefully Mr Potato Head follows suit now
  • Now we just need a manager brave enough to give the talent a chance.

What talent?
  • Sponsored links:

• what's with all these 'retirement announcements'?

What's wrong with dealing with the reality of just failing to get selected because you are no longer good enough ?

Why do they have to have their ego's rubbed so much? You've had a great career, everyone slides from their peak eventually. Just accept it with good grace when you don't get picked anymore.

Totally agree. Based on the timing, with Hodgson about to name his next England squad, I'd say it's more than likely that Roy's told him that he won't be in the squad so that he's got the chance to announce his retirement beforehand rather than having to deal with the hideous "shame" of being a 36 year old who, due to his age, doesn't feature in the manager's plans and has therefore been dropped. I can't believe this retirement announcement is making top story on the various sport websites, think everyone in England knew that his career finished in Brazil as far as the national team's concerned.
  • Didnt Roy say he hoped he would still make himself available for selection ?
  • edited August 2014
    Good luck to lampard , and good luck to the future England players Cos u r gonna need it.

What's wrong with dealing with the reality of just failing to get selected because you are no longer good enough ?

Why do they have to have their ego's rubbed so much? You've had a great career, everyone slides from their peak eventually. Just accept it with good grace when you don't get picked anymore.

I'm sure that Hodgson said he hoped that Lampard would still be available. I, personally, think that if he doesn't want to be selected he does have to tell people, opposed to waiting until he is picked and then embarrassing everyone with not turning up.

I'm sure that Hodgson said he hoped that Lampard would still be available. I, personally, think that if he doesn't want to be selected he does have to tell people, opposed to waiting until he is picked and then embarrassing everyone with not turning up.
    As he has done for years now!
  • boggzy said:

what's with all these 'retirement announcements'?

As he has done for years now!
    Yeah. I never said I liked the player. I'd have been happy for him to retire in 2004!
  • Think lampards been a good player for england. England are over rated and that's not lampards fault we need to be realistic and stop blaming management / players etc . We have had some great managers Imo and they have all failed that's got to tell us something. There are a lot of country's who are better than us but that doesn't mean it will stay like that. Let's get behind the youth of england and not shoot them down.
  • Think lampards been a good player for england. England are over rated and that's not lampards fault we need to be realistic and stop blaming management / players etc . We have had some great managers Imo and they have all failed that's got to tell us something. There are a lot of country's who are better than us but that doesn't mean it will stay like that. Let's get behind the youth of england and not shoot them down.

I agree @North_Stand_Clarkey‌ but each new generation keeps letting us down. Is it 48 years of hurt now? I'm just worn down as a fan. Then you get idiots like Jack Wilshere of 'the next generation' unashamedly smoking and behaving like a prat without the talent to back it up.....
  • cabbles said:

Think lampards been a good player for england. England are over rated and that's not lampards fault we need to be realistic and stop blaming management / players etc . We have had some great managers Imo and they have all failed that's got to tell us something. There are a lot of country's who are better than us but that doesn't mean it will stay like that. Let's get behind the youth of england and not shoot them down.

Then you get idiots like Jack Wilshere of 'the next generation' unashamedly smoking
    What a bastard eh?

• Addickted said:

cabbles said:

Think lampards been a good player for england. England are over rated and that's not lampards fault we need to be realistic and stop blaming management / players etc . We have had some great managers Imo and they have all failed that's got to tell us something. There are a lot of country's who are better than us but that doesn't mean it will stay like that. Let's get behind the youth of england and not shoot them down.

Then you get idiots like Jack Wilshere of 'the next generation' unashamedly smoking
    What a bastard eh?

Exactly. Disgraceful. The man in question had a 1000 times the talent of Mr Wilshere though, and wasn't being paid millions of pounds a year (although it may have been a decent wage back in the day). Also smoking was probably seen as socially acceptable for athletes in those days. I mean my gran (no athlete) often spoke of the benefits of 40 a day.
  • Sponsored links:

• That Matthews bloke played in two World Cups and England failed in both. Seems like the theme was set way back in 1950 with one notable exception.
  • at last and should of never been given the option,should of been dropped years ago!