Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Warning Culture: How many of the top 10 museums have you visited

edited August 2014 in Not Sports Related
http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/top-10/museum-galleries/#page=1

Looking at this stuff with a Venice trip looming, I've been on this list to St Petersburg Hermitage, and Amsterdam Rijksmuseum, and probably British Museum and the Louvre when young (but don't remember much)

not on that list also the Egyptian museum in Cairo, and the Vatican was closed when we decided to try and visit..

Has anyone done all of them?

Comments

• 6/10
    Smithsonian
    Louvre
    British Museum
    Prado
    Vatican
    Rijksmuseum

(The NatGeo List was obviously compiled before a certain SE7-museum was created)
  • Smithsonian
    Louvre
    Hermitage
    British Museum
    Met
    Prado
    Vatican
    Rijksmuseum
  • British and Rikj Riijk Rick the Dutch one...
  • Eight out of ten for me - haven't been to the Vatican or the Hermitage.
    But that's a weird list. What's often cited as the best museum in Europe - the National Gallery - isn't in it! And the Smithsonian shouldn't be Number One particularly when the article cites these as the main attractions: "Dorothy’s ruby red slippers, the dresses of the First Ladies". I mean, come on, have some dignity and class please America!
  • No Hornimans, No Erith, No Ripleys Believe it or not? Shit list.
  • Have done the Louvre and the Vatican Museums from that list...
  • British and Louvre
  • British Museum
    Prado
    Rijksmuseum
    Had a beer near Le Louvre
  • Sponsored links:

• How has the Greenwich Fan Museum not made that list?! How can anyone make a realistic claim to be culturally sophisticated without knowing about fans?!
  • 4/10 - British, Acropolis, Louvre, Vatican

• British Museum
    Prado
    Rijksmuseum
    Had a beer near Le Louvre

I didn't see the Acropolis.......another one for this culture vulture
  • 3/10 and I bloody work in Museums....
  • 6/10 - three of them at least twice.

Not surprised the Egyptian Museum isn't on that list as it is probably the most disorganised Museum I've ever been to, with the exception of the Kink Tut room. There was more dust in the museum than at the pyramids.

Managed to vissit a month before the uprising - so hopefully everything remained in place.
  • Just 6 from that list.

Louvre
    British Museum
    Prado
    Moma, NY
    Vatican
    Rijks

The kind of list compiled by American journalists for American tourists.

Been to plenty more terrific galleries and museums not on that list.
  • edited August 2014
    cafcfan said:

Eight out of ten for me - haven't been to the Vatican or the Hermitage.
    But that's a weird list. What's often cited as the best museum in Europe - the National Gallery - isn't in it! And the Smithsonian shouldn't be Number One particularly when the article cites these as the main attractions: "Dorothy’s ruby red slippers, the dresses of the First Ladies". I mean, come on, have some dignity and class please America!

To be fair, when you only have 200 years of history and most of that history consists of white people murdering, enslaving or otherwise abusing the basic human rights of non-whites, they have to fill it with some pap.

5/10 otherwise. There's only one on there I've missed and actually been to the city it's based in though (Amsterdam).
  • Just the one.............. Louvre. Surprised Imperial War Museum wasn't in there.....could have had 2 then!
  • Four out of ten
    Smithsonian
    Louvre
    British Museum
    Rijks

Have been to NY but didn't have/make time for theirs, and haven't visited the other places.