Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

why do some cafc fans have to have a scapegoat ?

Good start to season but feel that it could be wiggins turn. Remember simon francis getting pelters and losing confidence, yet going on to having the most assists for a full back in the championship for bournemouth last season.

Comments

• Options
    I blame you for both goals
  • Options
    Haters gonna hate..............
  • Options
    Get off your soapbox
  • Options
    Because they're bullies/cowards who get a kick out of belittling someone else.
  • Options
    Why is saying a player had a poor game making him a scapegoat?

Personally haven't heard any abuse aimed at Wiggins so far.
  • Options
    your not wrong on your assessment of wiggins as a defender at present ValleyGary, but my point is players are affected by their own crowd getting on their backs, I'm sure big Bob will drop anyone who have a run of bad games now our squad is becoming more competitive.
  • Options
    Why do Norwich fans have actual goats?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Scapegoat is completely different to being critical of someone's performance and voicing an opinion on it.

Haven't seen anything close to people making Wiggins a scapegoat. I've seen people saying Wiggins didn't play well but that's just a view. I think he played ok, but when the rest of the team plays great and there's a weakness what are we meant to do other than raise it and discuss it.

We know how good he can be and has been. I firmly believe that when fit and firing we have the best fullbacks in the league, but Wiggins hasn't been playing that well. I didn't hear anyone abusing him or anything, but groans are normal. I groan/sigh when there's a simple ball on and someone takes too long and loses it. Fans around the country are no different.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah, there's a difference between being disappointed with a normally fantastic player's poor performance and booing/jeering his every touch. To be honest, Wiggins has never totally recovered from the bad injury to his foot - he's gone from brilliant to merely very good, which is a shame. That said, he's got some good skills and a decent cross still, and no way do I want him dropped.
  • Options
    I think Jaddick maybe i have pre-empt wiggins getting abuse as groan + sighs and the odd voice of discontent. but it was worth it for the tangent that led to norwich fans having actual goats !
  • Options
    Thought Wiggins was fine last night personally
  • Options
    I think about 5 people marked Wiggins 6 or under. Going by what I've heard that is harsh. Fingers crossed for he doesn't look at CL though!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Chris Powell once told me:

"I tried to buy a scapegoat once and left with Simon church! Was proper gutted!"
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

Chris Powell once told me:

"I tried to buy a scapegoat donkey once and left with Simon church! Was proper gutted!"

Easy mistake to make
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I think about 5 people marked Wiggins 6 or under. Going by what I've heard that is harsh. Fingers crossed for he doesn't look at CL though!

Not just harsh, absolutely ridiculous. He played very well on Tuesday.
  • Options
    You can't have a scapegoat unless something has gone wrong.
  • Options
    I gave Wiggins as an example because he has been one of our better player in the past and agreed he has suffered with two injuries since then but i still think he can regain that form when he would storm down the wing and him and chris Solly were our best players along with Yann the man. Also i meant Bob Peeters would drop anyone who's form was poor over a period of time so you know what you got to do COYR.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    masicat said:

Parkinson doing great at Bradford. Francis doing great at Bournemouth. Wilson firmly settled in at the Valley. The whingers almost always get it wrong. When Derby scored their second the twat behind me said "typical Charlton". Someone replied "yes you are" ....

It was pretty typical though.

Every club says the same thing. Poor old Charlton are the only club refs, the papers and the tv hate. Its basically the same for everyone else. Even Man Utd fans say they are treated badly because they are Man Utd. Lets not even go there on poor old Liverpool.

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Why do Norwich fans have actual goats?

Because the sheep have learnt to run away?
  • Options

Good start to season but feel that it could be wiggins turn. Remember simon francis getting pelters and losing confidence, yet going on to having the most assists for a full back in the championship for bournemouth last season.

Why can't people understand the difference between criticism and a scapegoat....just why?
  • Options
    How can there be any scapegoats when we haven't lost a game all season? The closest one could get would be to blame Harriott for hitting the Brentford bar...two points dropped or Vetokele for slipping when clean through the other night...another goal would put us top on goal difference!
    There are individual criticisms but nothing compared to last season. I think the constructive debate is around where and when will the squad be strengthened to cover for injury and loss of form and questions as to whether Jackson starts every game when the midfield looks strong in the last 1/2 hour etc.
  • Options
  • Options
    It's not just Charlton, look at the national team, there's a scapegoat after every tournament failure!
  • Options
    A scapegoat is someone who has a minor role in a mistake and is blamed to protect other culprits.

Criticising a player's performance is not making him a scapegoat. Blaming him for losing a game, when many other factors contributed, would be.

Haven't seen any scapegoating on here yet.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    ….though people still find a way to make fun of Simon Church given any opportunity.
  • Options
    Agree with others, despite me wrongly using the word scapegoat in another thread over people being too critical of Jackson, people should be able to to be critical of players in a non-abusive way.

I do think some fans have a habit of judging a player purely on his last game or two, if he played badly (in their opinion) he suddenly needs to be dropped, just look at some of the comments in the Pope thread.

I have a mate who on a weekly basis swaps his opinions on the long term prospects of certain players based normally on remembering the one mistake they make and ignoring all the good things they do.
  • Options

Agree with others, despite me wrongly using the word scapegoat in another thread over people being too critical of Jackson, people should be able to to be critical of players in a non-abusive way.

I do think some fans have a habit of judging a player purely on his last game or two, if he played badly (in their opinion) he suddenly needs to be dropped, just look at some of the comments in the Pope thread.

I have a mate who on a weekly basis swaps his opinions on the long term prospects of certain players based normally on remembering the one mistake they make and ignoring all the good things they do.

This!
    In a similar vein there are people who posted last season about all the perceived mistakes made by M.Duchatelet and the manager / coach...particularly after we lost vs Barnsley.
    Some sentiment expressed by a small minority was more anti-Charlton than anything we might see posted by one of our visitors from Sheffield, Palace or Millwall!
    It was a tough season but ultimately we triumphed and the players who chose to stay in our squad should be lauded for their past efforts and whatever contribution they make this time.