Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Right or wrong: a question about "parent and child" car parking spaces

We all know what "parent and child" car parking spaces are. They are clearly defined, usually with a graphic and notices. They are meant for those times when both a parent (a mother or father) and the parent's son or daughter are in the car.

So, there's no harm in me using one of those parking spaces when I take my Mum to the shops. Right? Or wrong?

Comments

• Daggs said:

They're really useful if you have a new car and are keen to avoid some moron (is that word acceptable?) smashing his or her car door into your lovely new one.

More acceptable than parking in a parent and child space when you don't have a small child in the car.

• I disagree with them whole heartedly, I just don't have the civil disobedience in me to park in them.

British values and all that!
  • I don't see why parents and children need special parking spaces if they are not disabled in any way, I park in them and I'm old and decrepit.
  • I often use the ones right outside Asdas.
    Perfect when you've got a couple of crates to bring out!
  • I don't see why parents and children need special parking spaces if they are not disabled in any way, I park in them and I'm old and decrepit.

Right or wrong, justified or not, the decision to allocate certain bays for certain people is entirely up to the owner of the land (e.g. supermarket) to make. Whether or not they could enfoce it is another matter.

I, like @Huskaris choose to obey the land owners rules - but primarily so I can have a pop at those who don't!!
  • Sponsored links:

• disagree entirely with Parent and Child spaces. If you choose to have kids then surely you just find a space like everyone else. Why should you be treated any differently? I really don't get it.

I used to think just like this............until I had kids. Although I don't entirely agree with parent & kids spaces (we all have to shop so why does anyone without children have to schlep across a car park & those with kids don't) - I do agree that it makes it a lot easier to get kids in & out of child car seats/baby carriers as you usually have to have the car doors fully open.

maybe the answer is bigger spaces for everyone...........but I doubt the supermarkets will want to lose half of their spaces.....will they ?
  • disagree entirely with Parent and Child spaces. If you choose to have kids then surely you just find a space like everyone else. Why should you be treated any differently? I really don't get it.

I used to think just like this............until I had kids. Although I don't entirely agree with parent & kids spaces (we all have to shop so why does anyone without children have to schlep across a car park & those with kids don't) - I do agree that it makes it a lot easier to get kids in & out of child car seats/baby carriers as you usually have to have the car doors fully open.

maybe the answer is bigger spaces for everyone...........but I doubt the supermarkets will want to lose half of their spaces.....will they ?
    Bluewater took the decision to make their parking spaces 10% bigger than those at Lakeside. Bigger spaces = happier cusotmers = fewer complaints about cars being dinged.
  • I live in Lee and if I have to do a shopping trip to either Bromley or Bluewater it is always Bluewater because I hate the parking at Bromley, nothing to do with the cost. Bluewater has bigger spaces and a more user friendly car park, Bromley is simply nasty.
  • Rizzo said:

disagree entirely with Parent and Child spaces. If you choose to have kids then surely you just find a space like everyone else. Why should you be treated any differently? I really don't get it.

You try getting a child in or out of the child seat in a normal parking space that's barely wide enough for a car, let alone a car with the door open.

ok, but why do they have to be by the entrance?

• CHGCHG
    edited August 2014

Rizzo said:

disagree entirely with Parent and Child spaces. If you choose to have kids then surely you just find a space like everyone else. Why should you be treated any differently? I really don't get it.

You try getting a child in or out of the child seat in a normal parking space that's barely wide enough for a car, let alone a car with the door open.

ok, but why do they have to be by the entrance?

The ones I use very rarely are.
  • get smaller buggies
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

We all know what "parent and child" car parking spaces are. They are clearly defined, usually with a graphic and notices. They are meant for those times when both a parent (a mother or father) and the parent's son or daughter are in the car.

So, there's no harm in me using one of those parking spaces when I take my Mum to the shops. Right? Or wrong?

They're for parents with small children.
    Don't be so preposterous.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Chizz said:

They're for parents with small children.
    Don't be so preposterous.
    Where does it say that, then?
    ;-)
  • Is there anything people won't complain about?
  • Is there anything people won't complain about?

I cannot believe someone just wrote that. Typical...
  • Chizz said:

Is there anything people won't complain about?

Wasn't aimed at you, figured you were just having a joke.

Was more about the comments.
  • Chizz said:

Is there anything people won't complain about?

Wasn't aimed at you, figured you were just having a joke.

Was more about the comments.
    ;-)

This.

If there does have to be parent and child parking then locate them furthest away from the shop entrance and make the little buggers walk. Would help cut down on childhood obesity.
  • As one of the deliberately childless I have only ever seen them as a ploy by the supermarkets to pull in people who potentially spend more money. I didn't see any real reason why those that have chosen to knock out a sprog should have any advantage over me.

Having read this thread I can see why you might want more space for taking in and out a car seat, so I am prepared to accept that wider spaces are fair. I don't see why they should be any nearer to a shop as lordromford says.

The spaces should be exclusively for those with car seats though, once little 'un is able to get out of the car on his/her own, off you go and take your chances with the rest of us.

While on the subject of kids in supermarkets, why - despite the warnings of the potential dangers - do some parents insist in letting their offspring stand up in shopping trollies? Okay, if they don't give a monkeys about little Tarquin's safety because its easier to go along with his request than explain why he cannot do something for once that's fine. But what if he has trodden in dog s**t before standing in there, and I get the trolly next?
  • @Dazzler21 Hello - any particular reason you flagged the original post?
  • In our local Tesco there are approximately 1000 spaces with 15 for parent and child.
    Hardly inconveniencing the rest of the general public.

Maybe should complain about the disabled parking as there is a legal percentage that is double the percentage of registered disabled people.