Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

You know when you start something and wish you hadn't.....

Last night, my wife and I fancied some ice cream. So, I went out to the local Morrisons to buy some. The parking charge is usually 60p per hour, but after 6pm, it's a flat rate of £1. (Yes, I know this is boring, but stick with me.) A sign on the wall tells you that as long as you spend £5, you get 60p refunded or the full £1 if it's after 6pm. All good, so far. I spend £5.11 and hand in my ticket to get the £1 refund.

The old bag (for, she was a real old bag) gives me 60p back. "It's £1 after 6pm", I tell her. "You only get a maximum of 60p refund whatever you pay" she snaps back at me. "That's not what the sign says", I reply. "You're wrong", she says to me aggressively. So, I start to leave, thinking I really can't be bothered about 40p.

Then, as I pass the customer service desk, I think "stuff it, I don't see why I should lose 40p" and "I don't like the old bag's attitude". So, I stop at the customer service where a lady says that I am right and that I am not making a fuss and she is very sorry for the inconvenience.

I soon begin to regret it. They can't make parking refunds at customer service, but I can't get it back at the till either. The supervisor is called. I think about leaving and giving up. The supervisor arrives and repeats that customer service can't give refunds. "It's time to go", I think. Then, the supervisor says that we could ring up something or other, give me 40p and when they cash up tonight they can amend the customer service till records and the till I had checked out at. The old bag is now asked why she got it wrong as she scowls at me. It is beginning to sound like a lot of work for them just for 40p.

Then, there is a complication. The supervisor's code won't work, so the supervisor's supervisor (or whoever) is called. It is promptly resolved and the old bag is chastised again. She really hates me now. Finally, the supervisor's supervisor hands me 40p.

I don't know why I did it, but I promptly stuck the 40p in the charity pot and walked out. Disappointingly, I wasn't man enough to make eye contact with the customer service lady, the supervisor or the supervisor's supervisor. I can feel the old bag's eyes burning holes in the back of my head as I leave.

If anyone working for CAFC is reading this, be careful when I buy my ticket tonight. I'm nothing but trouble.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2014
    You're one tight bastard... ;)
  • Options
    No reason to feel guilty when you are in the right. The amount doesn't matter it's the principal.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

You're one tight bastard... ;)

Totally unfair. By standing my ground, a charity is 40p better off today. :-)
  • Options
    You should have pretended you had forgotten something and qued back up at the old bags till and been really polite and tried to strike up a conversation
  • Options
    Nicely handled, you've got class! Drives me mad, stuff like this.

Seeing as it was acknowledged quite early on that the end result will be you receiving your 40pence back, there is absolutely no reason at all why they couldn't give you the 40p, let you get on your way and then waste their own time working out how to reconcile their tills. Don't understand why you're required to stand around and watch them trying to figure it out, always seems to be the way though.
  • Options

You should have pretended you had forgotten something and qued back up at the old bags till and been really polite and tried to strike up a conversation

What - you mean stalked her?
  • Options
    Surely the supervisor could have just given you 40p from their own pocket and sorted out the tills later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Surely the supervisor could have just given you 40p from their own pocket and sorted out the tills later.

It sounds as though you are angling for the job of the supervisor's supervisor's supervisor for that practical comment.
  • Options
    Old bags of that bloody minded ilk deserve people to stand up to them.

They are bullies pure and simple and should not be allowed to get away with it.

It's the principle that is important not the 40p and sticking it in the charity box makes that point emphatically.

Well done you.
  • Options
    Stick it to the man.....

or the little old lady in your case,

Jokes aside good for you. I'd have done the same and felt no guilt at all. Maybe she should be better at her job and drop the attitude then it wouldnt have happened.
  • Options
    Thing is with those situations, if I have someone really pleasant and nice who is wrong over something quite slight, then I will leave it.

If it is some crabby jumped up bag of gravel trying to make me look stupid, then it's a case of the gloves are off and being stubborn to make them hate me even more.
  • Options
    I would like to think I'm not tight, but I would have done the same.

Cant stand people with terrible attitudes.
  • Options
    I like the message you sent putting the change in the charity box, well done mate.
  • Options
    My wife says you were very rude and she didn't like your attitude. I wouldn't go back if I were you!
    She's always right.
  • Options
    I've been known to argue the toss over less than 40p. The amount is irrelevent, the priciple is paramount.............
  • Options
    Well done for sticking to your guns. Especially as you were happy to put the money in the charity pot. Nice style!

While I empathise with you in terms of the service (or lack of it) provided by the "old bag", I'd also empathise with their staff. The lack of training, proper supervision, guidance and mentoring can be terrible at big retailers. Maybe she had been told that they only pay a maximum of 60p? Maybe she'd never worked beyond 6pm and not been asked for a full £1 refund before. The customer service people should have been better informed too. And their supervisors. And their supervisors' supervisors...

It's not good enough to get poor service. But it's also not good enough to expose your staff to situations they are not trained to deal with.

I know of one person working for a big supermarket who last week was asked to clean the floor at the entrance of the store. When asked where the vacuum cleaner was, she was told there isn't one and to use a dustpan and brush. She then asked the supervisor "Seeing as we took £1.25m at the tills last week, do you think we could splash out £50 on a vacuum cleaner?". "I've asked", came the reply, "but when I filled the form out and sent it to head office, I didn't get a reply".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As amusing as your story is TMA (and I did laugh, well done on putting the change in the charity pot!), I'm glad Chizz got there before I did just above. I've learnt that working for the big retailers can sometimes be as infuriating as dealing with them as a customer, on occasion.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

As amusing as your story is TMA (and I did laugh, well done on putting the change in the charity pot!), I'm glad Chizz got there before I did just above. I've learnt that working for the big retailers can sometimes be as infuriating as dealing with them as a customer, on occasion.

On another occasion, I would probably have walked out without making the slightest fuss. I think it was the old bag's attitude that was the real problem. I can tolerate under-trained staff, but politeness doesn't cost anything. I'm just waiting for the 'thank you' letter from the charity for my generous 40p donation :-)
  • Options
    I agree there. There's no excuse for rudeness, whether at work or not.
  • Options
    Sod the supermarkets, they have driven all the small businesses into oblivion and obliged you to shop there, and they will continue to look for angles and scams all the time.
  • Options
    When i saw the thread title I assumed it would be Delort's Dad regretting sending all those Tweets...