Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

M6 toll road

Is it worth the money?

Comments

• Options
    if your in a hurry and really don't want to be stuck in m6 rush hour traffic then yes, if your in no hurry and its just the normal m6 slow traffic then no.
  • Options
    Also depends how far north on the M6 you are heading. An alternative is stay on the M1 to J23a then take the A50 which is dual carriageway to the M6. You can come back on to the M6 at either J15 or J16 (the stoke junctions).

Hardly anything in it mileage terms but you will completely swerve Birmingham, most of the worst parts of the M6 and have no toll to pay. Plus its a far more pleasant drive.

If I am heading southeast from Stockport I never ever use the M6, the A50 is a godsend.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    If it says Toll Clear but not mentioning the regular part then dont pay it and stay on. I decided not to last week and saved myself over £5 as i wasnt in a rush and it was fine.

I do like driving it tho... you can really open up on it - obviously only when there is no other car in my eyeline which happens a lot, its often empty. Its very fast...

I stayed on the M1 last week going to Cheshire and then drove over the Peaks (I think it was the peaks) which was far more scenic than staying on 3 junctions worth of tailbacks.
  • Options
    A50 9times out of 10.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I do like driving it tho... you can really open up on it - obviously only when there is no other car in my eyeline which happens a lot, its often empty. Its very fast...

The national speed limit still applies on the toll road!!

I would second the A50/M1 option although the A50 can be choked at times.
  • Options
    I use the M6 fairly often. The first few times I was fooled by that Toll Clear sign into using the toll road. Then I thought I'd give the main M6 a try and found there were no problems at all. I've never used the toll road since and never had any problems going through Birmingham on the M6.
  • Options
    I always use it unless it's the middle of the night.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Been caught a couple of times in a jam on the proper M6 through Brum. It ain't pretty I can tell you!
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Been caught a couple of times in a jam on the proper M6 through Brum. It ain't pretty I can tell you!

What Birmingham or the M6 Traffic Jam?
  • Options

What Birmingham or the M6 Traffic Jam?
    Jams look the same all over the world mate. There's only one Brum to stare forlornly at losing the will to live...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've managed to always avoid it and taken the main M6 purely because of the time of day I have been travelling.

The rumble strips they seem to have as you go round Brum on the M6 make my car feel like its going to fall apart (03 Ford Ka)

Did it the other day in a 3 series BMW and I didn't even realise I was driving over them.
  • Options
    Never understood the logic of the toll road.

The purpose is to reduce traffic around B'ham, so they effectively build a bypass & then make you pay to use it. wtf ??? who, in their right minds is going to pay a £5 when they can take their chances on the "old" road. It would have been better to make people pay to use the existing road (with big discounts for those living in B'ham who need to use it like they do for the d'ford toll) and make the "bypass" free & then more people are likely to use it
  • Options
    If you own a sports car ( I don't) it's well worth paying five quid.
  • Options
    Went through Birmingham Sunday a week ago, well tried to and it was a nightmare!. Congestion signs everywhere. What all that traffic was doing mid day on a Sunday I have no idea, no football or festivals on.
    Mind you the M25 earlier was carnage, slow, slow,stop, stop, slow. Felt exhausted when I did arrive 6 hours later, with a headache to boot. Driving through this part of the world " black country' has never been a joy, but I think I will go via Wales next time, or go by train.
  • Options
    Brilliant road use it 10 or 11 times a month worth every single penny
  • Options
    The M6 is the most hideous motorway I have ever driven on. Used to work for a company who had a massive distribution warehouse and sales office in Stone, Staffordshire. Every single time I had to go there that poxy motorway was jammed. Every. Single Time. Junction 6-19 is an absolute bloody nightmare. Agree that the A50 is a decent shout as an alternative, but after a while of putting up with that shit I used the toll every time.

Incidentally, I did talk to a firefighter about this a few years ago. Apparently, the main reason that the M6 is so bad is because there are a shitload of bad accidents - due largely to the motorway having lots of sharp bends and steep hills (the road infrastructure is very dated - more modern motorways are better designed). I'd imagine that fact that most people who live in the midlands are fuckwitted troglodytes also doesn't help...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yep, the current roadworks (average speed check) round Hilton Park, heavy traffic, and bad road surface near Spaghetti Junction make the Toll Road like a breath of fresh air - very few HGV's, steady fast speed, less hassle. Saved at least 25 mins even when travelling off-peak (last Thursday lunchtime). Rush hours it's a no-brainer. It's just far more pleasurable, too.

The A50 is also a good shout, but take a tip from a roads geek: Exit the M1 at Junction 24 (not 23A as signed) and you save a precious couple more minutes rather than faffing about on connecting roads and roundabouts!
  • Options
    Avoiding the Brummy boy racer chavs, as well as just avoiding Brum in general, is worth any amount of money.

In seriousness if travelling during busy periods, especially as I believe there are still some long term roadworks around there, then it's definitely worth it. It's a nice bit of road. However if travelling during quiet times then it's not worth it.
  • Options
    Really starting to like the coleshill area up.there just up from Corley services jct of m6

Re affirmed my dislike for all things coventry but the guys from brum are all good tbf
  • Options
    You save at least half an hour using the M6 toll unless the regular M6 is completely clear (spoiler alert: it never is). Plus you avoid the proles.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You have to watch if you are heading north, there is often problems on the M6 after the toll road rejoins the motorway.
  • Options
    Others have hinted at it, but the pre-toll road signage is at best inept and at worst a blatant cash grabber. When I am approaching the point where I need to decide whether to go old M6 or toll road, this info I need is not "M6 toll clear" it is "M6 completely screwed!". I can then make an informed decision.

I do like toll road. If I am driving on business and having my expenses paid I absolutely do it every time. If I am under my own steam I general take stock of how much traffic at the split is taking the toll road as an indication of how quiet the old road is before I decide. One thing to watch out for on the toll road, particularly when its very quiet, is hidden police speed check cars. It is very tempting to floor it on that stretch of road but they do occasionally assume that you will and have mobile cameras out.