Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Curbishley on Talksport

now till 1am. Saying that he had offers to leave CAFC. And that "West ham were the club for me".

Comments

• Move on : )

Going to give it a listen though.
  • Sounds to me he thinks he is still too good for a champ team.
  • He has just stated he would come back to Charlton
  • Would consider the Palace job
  • CHARL7ON said:

He has just stated he would come back to Charlton

Good. I trust he'll do the right thing this time and not express any interest in the Palace job.
  • CHARL7ON said:

What role? Sit on his arse in the west stand?

Nah I love curbs but we've mutually moved on.
  • Fill us in though always interesting what he has to say.
  • Everywhere at the moment.
  • Dave2l said:

CHARL7ON said:

What role? Sit on his arse in the west stand?

Nah I love curbs but we've mutually moved on.
    Not sure that he has. Doubt he will get a prem job now and seems a bit stuck
  • Perhaps he's down to his last million. Move on
  • Sponsored links:

• I have the highest regard for Curbs but the only way he will work in the prem again is if someone like Burnley take a chance on him when they have about six points at Christmas time. He is past his sell by date in afraid.
  • Seems a bit strange - here is a man who's had the life most of us can only dream about - played professional football and then went on to be a successful manager for a decade, probably still has more money than I will ever have, yet I am tempted to say I feel sorry for him.

His problem is that he's been out of the game so long who is going to give him a chance? Especially if he is going to be picky.

I'm also concerned about Chrissy, but at least he is a much younger man.
  • now till 1am. Saying that he had offers to leave CAFC. And that "West ham were the club for me".

The context of the comment was around Curbs always having a clause in his contract that he could leave Charlton if the right club came in , but he didn't choose to have a similar clause at West Ham.

To be fair to him ,I now live in East London and have retained my allegiance to Charlton. Had I been born and brought up in Canning Town I suspect I too would have been a happy Hammer . He also said that he turned West Ham down whilst managing us .

In his much criticised book which was published before his brief spell at Upton Park one of the more interesting passages which did add depth was on the subject of the happy Hammers . He didn't deny that it had crossed his mind about managing them , but at the time they came calling his son's school virtually all were West Ham supporters and he didn't want to put him in an awkward position if the team was doing badly that he might have got bullied and teased about it.
  • Didnt Curbs turn the hammers down in 2001 when Arry left?
  • Perhaps he's down to his last million. Move on

I know for a fact that isn't the case. He's been getting paid very handsomely by al jazeera
  • Saga Lout said:

Seems a bit strange - here is a man who's had the life most of us can only dream about - played professional football and then went on to be a successful manager for a decade, probably still has more money than I will ever have, yet I am tempted to say I feel sorry for him.

His problem is that he's been out of the game so long who is going to give him a chance? Especially if he is going to be picky.

He's persona non grata in the football world since suing the Hammers and winning. What team in their right mind would employ him. Don't feel sorry for him, he's bloody loaded!
  • How Fulham failed to promote him from within is an absolute joke when he was the perfect man for the job there

I'll be honest some of the small undertones I feel are on all these types of threads about Curbs from the "odd" Charlton fan make me feel a bit sick in the stomach and remind me why I don't think we were worthy of the footballing managerial god that was Alan Curbishley and the fact I think we have some right plums who support us

This 100%
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

Saga Lout said:

Seems a bit strange - here is a man who's had the life most of us can only dream about - played professional football and then went on to be a successful manager for a decade, probably still has more money than I will ever have, yet I am tempted to say I feel sorry for him.

He's persona non grata in the football world since suing the Hammers and winning. What team in their right mind would employ him. Don't feel sorry for him, he's bloody loaded!
    I know Jim - just seems a waste.
  • Curbs would still do a fantastic job for any club but i agree with others, that he is going to struggle to get another management job, as he has been out of the game so long and we know how much Chairmen like to appoint someone from the recently failed merry go round of poor managers in this country.

It's the same reason why SCP needs to snatch any job in the Championship or top half League 1 that he gets offered before he gets forgotten aswell.

Hopefully they both get something this season.
  • How Fulham failed to promote him from within is an absolute joke when he was the perfect man for the job there

I'll be honest some of the small undertones I feel are on all these types of threads about Curbs from the "odd" Charlton fan make me feel a bit sick in the stomach and remind me why I don't think we were worthy of the footballing managerial god that was Alan Curbishley and the fact I think we have some right plums who support us

This.
  • Didnt Curbs turn the hammers down in 2001 when Arry left?

Wasn't that when West ham dumped 'arry, expecting Curbs to take the job, and ended up with Glenn Roeder and relegation?
  • What oohaah said. A truly great manager for us. Would be gutted if he got he Palarse job.
  • What oohaah said. A truly great manager for us. Would be gutted if he got he Palarse job.

Mackay working on a contract apparently
  • edited August 2014

@oohaahmortimer well said. Curbs has been and will always be my biggest football hero and I'd be thrilled if he ever came back to work at Charlton, in whatever capacity. It's a shame that he's been out of the game for so long that some people don't seem to rate him anymore. Personally I don't understand why that is much relevant because in my opinion the ability of a manager who has nearly two decades of successful management experience won't easily get undermined by being off the hot seat for six years. Had Curbs taken the Wolves job, I believe he would still be working now (for a football club instead of TV stations) and doing far better than the likes of Allardyce, Pardew or Redknapp.

Agreed. However we live in an age where the Premier League obsessed Football media move from one trend/fashion to the next in no time - whether it be managers, players, teams, formations etc. That is IMO part of the reason why his perception has been damaged.

As Charlton fans we know what he is capable of, but the casual football fan/media outlet are always only ever interested in what Jose Mourinho is saying or what player Harry Redknapp might be after. Any ex-manager outside of that little Premier League bubble is just seen to have a lesser level opinion.