Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Wigan (16/8/14) - Post Match Views.

Comments

• Options
    Wigan had huge amount of the ball but didnt hurt us. I thought there goal was actually a cross --he went to get the ball into the danger area----Henderson should have done better. Wiggins was poor but against a very good player. Buyens played well . Tucadean did ok and gave their defence problems was unlucky to go off. Atmosphere very quiet---maybe something to do with people moving to the A block. Bikeys wife and kids were in the North stand.

I like the way we are are going and the fact it didnt all go right on the pitch means Big Bob can see that.
  • Options
    Great result, winning in the last minute makes it even better. Wigan had a lot of the game but as said we created the better chances.

Think Henderson will do well in time but a few poor kicks today. Good to see us pass from the back but there are times when you can't always do it. Pope did well when he came on. Have read how he really commands his area and it showed with the few catches he made, he's not afraid to come to the edge of his area to claim a high ball.

Though the back four did well apart from Wiggins. McMananman is probably better than most wingers but going forward he was nowhere near his best. Ben Haim and Bikey did very well and deserve their places ahead of Morrison. I remember some having doubts in pre-season, especially about Ben Haim, but so far they look as good as any CB in the last few years (which has been one of our strongest areas) and potentially they may prove to be better.

Like the look Gudmundsson, seems he'll drift out the game at times but he should score and create goals for us. May frustrate at times like wingers do but he just looks a level or two above the wingers in the last few seasons, Stewart, Green, Harriott etc.

Buyens also did well again. Jackson had a quiet game, I think he'll keep his place for now but may lose as the season goes on unless he starts popping up with a few goals.

Cousins looks more confident playing out wide than he did last season. The left seems to suit him more which I really didn't expect to see. Great to see him beat players and have a few shots. He did try to repeat his goal a couple of times and the last was probably one too many. No reason why he won't score a few this season if we keep playing good football and create chances.

Up front we could have been better yesterday but there's more to come from both of them. Tucudean again looked like he needs time to adapt. Another day I think Vetokele would score a one on one like that. They didn't have many shots between them with a lot of the shots coming from the midfield.

Bob took a risk putting Moussa up front. It gave us no height up there and meant every long kick from keeper came straight back. It paid off though and for once it was us scoring a deflected goal.

Really can't wait to see more of this team. It looked like we were bringing in better players but the concerns were how well it would all fit together, how good a manager Bob is, will we be able to build a good team spirit etc. So far it's looking very promising. I think it's pretty clear we'll be far better going forward and much more exciting to watch - better players and a much better pitch make a huge difference before you even consider tactics or the manager.

Just need to fill those number 8 and 9 shirts to complete the squad and we'll see where it takes us.
  • Options
    Thought we were lacking something for a while when Tucudean came off... He didnt look the greatest but he was holding the ball up extremely well, waiting for others to come into play before passing and we kinda lost that afterwards
  • Options
    Great game, but really disappointed with Gudmundsson - seemed poor to me, but others seem to like him so I'll hold before condemning further. Tucudean was very hit and miss, and we improved after he left the pitch. Igor looks quality, and Buyens was outstanding :). Our defence looks like one of the best in the league.
  • Options
    Very interesting reading these posts. One observation. I do think a lot of people are underestimating just how good Wigan are. They will be top six I have no doubt once they remember to actually have a shot on goal.
  • Options

Very interesting reading these posts. One observation. I do think a lot of people are underestimating just how good Wigan are. They will be top six I have no doubt once they remember to actually have a shot on goal.

Good point regarding Wigan. I think they will get in the play offs again. Bob and the team should take a lot of credit for the way we restricted them to one shot of any note on target.
  • Options
    With both teams resisting the long ball it was a fascinating contest and looked to be heading towards a draw. However, the substitution of Don Cowie after 75 minutes saw Wigan’s energy levels fading and the home side were looking the more lively. Latics’ crosses into the box were invariably cut out by the central defenders or the dominant substitute goalkeeper Nick Pope, who had come on after 67 minutes.

In the final ten minutes, which included five minutes of added-on time, Latics were all at sea. The left hand side of defence had all but folded and Perch and Ramis really had their work cut out holding things together. The midfield was unable to provide the protection it had given earlier. Vetokole broke through for a one on one with Carson but the keeper made a fine save. Perch made an excellent block from Gudmundsson. But even Ramis, who had been excellent up to that point, was looking ragged.

It had looked like a goal was on the cards for Charlton in added time, but it was to come when a shot from Moussa from outside the area was deflected by Kiernan, giving Carson no chance.

The stats showed that Latics enjoyed 55% of the possession with six corners to Charlton’s three. But more revealing was that Charlton had five shots on target to Latics’ one. In fact Wigan only mustered four shots in the whole game.

This is the kind of report I like to read on a Sunday morning.

http://threeamigoswigan.com/2014/08/17/latics-legs-go-again-in-defeat-at-charlton/
  • Options
    Two deflected goals, 3 points - great stuff.
  • Options
    cafckev said:

Fantastic game. Oh a victory feels even better with an injury time goal.

I do worry for Wiggins. He didnt do bad today but he is not the player he used to be and i think its starting to show now and i also feel that he knows it and is getting frustrated too.

I think he is scared of getting injured again, who can blame him for that? Hope he settles soon, fox is too raw in my opinion.
  • Options
    Who did the tunnel jump on Saturday?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wow, where to start!

Good to see The Valley looking fresh and the pitch top, top class.

Wigan are a good side and will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. They dominated much of the play, but failed to make any clear cut chances; credit therefore to our back four and the general discipline of our team who kept their shape. Bikey was immense in all senses and Ben Haim was not far behind. Wiggins was initially given a torrid time by arguably the best winger outside of the Premiership but buckled down and reduced the threat. Solly is Solly!

Buyens to me was MOM just behind Biley. He was neat and tidy, worked hard and he made me forget about Poyet leaving. Goodmunsson to me was disappointing on the day but showed enough to suggest he will come good. I liked George up top, thoughtful player who can hold up the ball and bring other players into the game. He needs however to get to grips with the physical side of our game. Igor worked hard with not too much to show for his energy, but his pace will frighten other teams and he looks to have goals in him; shame the one good chance to come his way was well saved by Carson. Pope looked assured when he came on, solid in dealing with crosses (no Hamer-like flaps) and it was good to see that he cleared out two of the opposition when he needed to win a high ball.

Disappointments were Henderson, whose distribution was poor (but far to early to judge him), Jackson who had a quiet game and Wiggins initially.

Overall, a far better team than last year. Too early for any lofty predictions but I cant see us struggling like last season. I came away from the game thoroughly pleased with the effort and commitment of our team against good opposition.

Cant wait for Tuesday!
  • Options

Who did the tunnel jump on Saturday?

Moussa. Who looked made up.

Bob Peeters encouraged him to do it. It was a nice touch.
  • Options

I don't manage many games these days, due to a combination of anno domini and impecunity; however, through the kindness of a relative I was able to get a pass for the Millennium Lounge in the West Stand. It sounds ungrateful, but the place is very gloomy and I wonder what my old mates on the East Terrace in the late 1950s would have thought of spending the equivalent of two weeks wages on a round of drinks!! All the stalwarts of the days of yore would also have had something to say about the 'suits' in the lounge and the appearance of Katrien to greet her guests. Was that her mum at her side?

On to the game - I can't say I've seen better pitches at The Valley. It reminded me of those Cyril Lord carpet adverts of the 1960s. I think the said Cyril even patented a synthetic grass called 'Cyrillawn'. Also impressed by the repainted yellow stairways.

I can only echo the sentiments expressed in these columns as regards individual players. The goalie, Henderson, needs to work on his clearances and ball distribution. George up front needs to adapt quicker to the conditions of the Championship. Several times he appealled to the ref after he was pushed and got no response. He will have to muscle his way through defences and avoid taking one touch too many on the ball.

Jordan Cousins in the first half found himself often in acres of space on the left of the pitch. When he was used, he scored a screamer, but then tried several times unsuccessfully to repeat the feat. As others have noted, the back line and midfield show promise. I was particularly impressed with Tal Ben Haim, who showed composure in all he did. Man mountain, Bikey, is the bloke every team needs, although he could be caught for pace, if the attacker does manage to get past him.

The opposition came to play football, which is to their credit. No surprise that Wigan had the lion's share of possession. However, as the chap behind me remarked - 'God, this lot are boring!' And in spite of all their pretty patterns their was no real end result for the Wigan team, aside from their one goal. When they brought Maloney on, I thought we'd suffer, but we upped our game and the introduction of Moussa proved decisive.

Aside from our winner, my high spot of the second half was when, substitute goalie, Pope, did a two fisted smash through a couple of Wigan attackers, leaving them prostrate on the floor and the ref, D'Urso gave us a free kick! That boy, Pope, has prospects.

As for the spat between the managers Peeters is Dutch and Roesler is German. Past history should explain the behaviour. There is little love lost between these two tribes.

Belgian but close enough. Good post.

• Options

I don't manage many games these days, due to a combination of anno domini and impecunity; however, through the kindness of a relative I was able to get a pass for the Millennium Lounge in the West Stand. It sounds ungrateful, but the place is very gloomy and I wonder what my old mates on the East Terrace in the late 1950s would have thought of spending the equivalent of two weeks wages on a round of drinks!! All the stalwarts of the days of yore would also have had something to say about the 'suits' in the lounge and the appearance of Katrien to greet her guests. Was that her mum at her side?

On to the game - I can't say I've seen better pitches at The Valley. It reminded me of those Cyril Lord carpet adverts of the 1960s. I think the said Cyril even patented a synthetic grass called 'Cyrillawn'. Also impressed by the repainted yellow stairways.

I can only echo the sentiments expressed in these columns as regards individual players. The goalie, Henderson, needs to work on his clearances and ball distribution. George up front needs to adapt quicker to the conditions of the Championship. Several times he appealled to the ref after he was pushed and got no response. He will have to muscle his way through defences and avoid taking one touch too many on the ball.

Jordan Cousins in the first half found himself often in acres of space on the left of the pitch. When he was used, he scored a screamer, but then tried several times unsuccessfully to repeat the feat. As others have noted, the back line and midfield show promise. I was particularly impressed with Tal Ben Haim, who showed composure in all he did. Man mountain, Bikey, is the bloke every team needs, although he could be caught for pace, if the attacker does manage to get past him.

The opposition came to play football, which is to their credit. No surprise that Wigan had the lion's share of possession. However, as the chap behind me remarked - 'God, this lot are boring!' And in spite of all their pretty patterns their was no real end result for the Wigan team, aside from their one goal. When they brought Maloney on, I thought we'd suffer, but we upped our game and the introduction of Moussa proved decisive.

Aside from our winner, my high spot of the second half was when, substitute goalie, Pope, did a two fisted smash through a couple of Wigan attackers, leaving them prostrate on the floor and the ref, D'Urso gave us a free kick! That boy, Pope, has prospects.

As for the spat between the managers Peeters is Dutch and Roesler is German. Past history should explain the behaviour. There is little love lost between these two tribes.

Better not call Bob Dutch (he's Belgian). FYI, Belgians tend to have a bit of "friction" with the Dutch.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    We were lucky yesterday. In the second half it took us until the last minute to have a shot anywhere near the target. Don't you find that peculiar?

We are at home. We get an attacking throw-in, our man has the ball over his head and is poised, frozen. Time passes. Eventually, one of our midfielders rushes up from thirty yards, receives the ball awkwardly and taps it back to him. By then, two Wigan defenders are in his ear, and we lose possession.

It's not just I who notices this: all the East Stand were complaining.

Look at this one. We had a rare corner: Our man played it short, and his mate gave it back to him. The lino 60 yards opposite flagged immediately: We were offside. This is a very basic error, committed not even by Sunday players in the local park.

We won yesterday, without playing football. We were bloody lucky. Don't you think it's about time simple moves were rehearsed and understood at Sparrows Lane?

• Options

We were lucky yesterday. In the second half it took us until the last minute to have a shot anywhere near the target. Don't you find that peculiar?

We are at home. We get an attacking throw-in, our man has the ball over his head and is poised, frozen. Time passes. Eventually, one of our midfielders rushes up from thirty yards, receives the ball awkwardly and taps it back to him. By then, two Wigan defenders are in his ear, and we lose possession.

Look at this one. We had a rare corner: Our man played it short, and his mate gave it back to him. The lino 60 yards opposite flagged immediately: we were offside. This is a very basic error, committed not even by Sunday players in the local park.

We won yesterday, without playing football. We were bloody lucky. Don't you think it's about time some simple moves were rehearsed and understood at Sparrows Lane?

I sat in the east stand. I remember a one on one amongst others.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Just watched the 10 minutes of extended highlights on Player, just wow, we really are an exciting team when going forward, especially like Buyens, Tucudean & Gudmundsson for that.

Wiggins & Igor both a bit unlucky not to score after fine saves by Carson.

Love the Ben Haim, Vincent Kompany style forward run to start the move that got us our winner, just decided he was bringing that ball forward, love the attitude from the players.

So jealous of you guys getting to watch this team 23+ times this season, wish i could get to the Valley more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1StevieG said:

Just one thing that puzzles me, why was everyone wearing boots in silly colours? Whats wrong with black?

Erm......where have you been the last 20 years? Boots in silly colours have been around for ages.
    Have been battling cancer for most of the past decade. However, did see quite a few games last season and didn't notice the fluorescent colours then. I admit I'm not the most observant but were they really that bright last season? Still prefer black anyway.

• Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    LuckyReds said:

Look at this one. We had a rare corner: Our man played it short, and his mate gave it back to him. The lino 60 yards opposite flagged immediately: we were offside. This is a very basic error, committed not even by Sunday players in the local park.

We won yesterday, without playing football. We were bloody lucky. Don't you think it's about time some simple moves were rehearsed and understood at Sparrows Lane?

I sat in the east stand. I remember a one on one amongst others.
    Not in the second half you didn't - wherever you sit. In the second half we did nothing at all until the 90th minute: Vetokele's one-on-one with Carson.

Don't you think it strange that when Cousins scored, he rushed down the touchline, embraced all the people in the front row, gave blessings to the disabled, hugged his mother, and leaped in to Peeters' arms?

Could you imagine Derek Hales, Paul Walsh, or Yann Kermorgant doing that? Good players defend, pass, move and attack. It's their bloody job.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Look at this one. We had a rare corner: Our man played it short, and his mate gave it back to him. The lino 60 yards opposite flagged immediately: We were offside. This is a very basic error, committed not even by Sunday players in the local park.

We won yesterday, without playing football. We were bloody lucky. Don't you think it's about time simple moves were rehearsed and understood at Sparrows Lane?

Very harsh. We looked fitter and stronger towards the end of each half. I don't understand the comment about how we won without playing football. Did we win by playing cricket then?

So I imagined the shot before the 90th minute from Vetokele that forced Carson to push the ball out for a corner?

Please get your facts right.
  • Options
    Didn't realise D'Urso was the ref. Thought he was poor, far too many soft free kicks.
  • Options

In regards to silly boots did anyone see Bikey's... one was pink the other blue

Cheers Colin
  • Options

In regards to silly boots did anyone see Bikey's... one was pink the other blue

You'll take it up with Bikey and have with him about it then @ForeverAddicketed ?

Good luck with that !