Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SouthEastern this Morning

Comments

• Options

7.51, 8.11 and 8.31 from Sidcup apparently cancelled for the next four weeks.

Is this official? For the next four weeks?? Cos if so this will cripple rush hour commuting from Sidcup....I mean that's taking out 50% of the services...

....how the fuck do they expect people to get to work??

Think so, compromise being that the 'fast' trains (07.47, 08.05 and 08.25) will stop additionally at Mottingham, Lee and Hither Green. Good luck to anyone trying to board them tho
    Not that they bothered mentioning the additional stops this morning when I got to new eltham or when i got on the train!
    Obviously they'll make those trains longer........right???
  • Options

Is this official? For the next four weeks?? Cos if so this will cripple rush hour commuting from Sidcup....I mean that's taking out 50% of the services...

Think so, compromise being that the 'fast' trains (07.47, 08.05 and 08.25) will stop additionally at Mottingham, Lee and Hither Green. Good luck to anyone trying to board them tho
    Not that they bothered mentioning the additional stops this morning when I got to new eltham or when i got on the train!
    I honestly "don't know" but im going with "will they bollox the no good ****s)
  • Options

It's probably too much to ask for them to use their brains and think to do this.
  • Options
    little confused.

I live in eltham and need to commute from their to london bridge monday - friday.

Am I f*cked?
  • Options
    If yer man Charlton Andre had managed to jump onto a train I'd have definitely rooted for him, at least if he'd survived the Maryon Park tunnel, that is
  • Options

It's probably too much to ask for them to use their brains and think to do this.
    As much as it seems like a good and simple solution to the problem, there are many reasons why it can not be done, and many are to do with safety.

I am only speaking from my knowledge of when i worked on the railway 15years ago, and i know the safety side has not changed. The main reason is because of the signalling system. Towards London, the signals become closer together (if you actually saw how close you was to the train in front heading towards London Bridge, you would be shocked). So, with each signal, you have a gap between trains, plus a gap etxra say, upto 100ft. So lets say a 8 coach train is 800ft, you need that plus another 100 ft behind as a safety buffer incase the train behind slips past the signal. This gives it an extra space to stop. Now if you put a 10 coach train on that same bit of track, there is no safety buffer, and in fact by adding an extra 2 coaches to that train, would then overlap the signal behind, meaning the train behind would be one signal further back, causing more congestion.
  • Options
    Well I'm very fortunate I guess as I'm on the HS1 every day (although it's not cheap). I was curious at Southeastern's board message this morning that for the next couple of months they will be running trains a little early as something they call 'Leaf Fall Service'. They're running them early so they won't be late - but of course they've not actually said which trains and what times.

On a slightly related matter, how the f did this lot actually win the franchise extension?
  • Options
    cafckev said:

As much as it seems like a good and simple solution to the problem, there are many reasons why it can not be done, and many are to do with safety.

I am only speaking from my knowledge of when i worked on the railway 15years ago, and i know the safety side has not changed. The main reason is because of the signalling system. Towards London, the signals become closer together (if you actually saw how close you was to the train in front heading towards London Bridge, you would be shocked). So, with each signal, you have a gap between trains, plus a gap etxra say, upto 100ft. So lets say a 8 coach train is 800ft, you need that plus another 100 ft behind as a safety buffer incase the train behind slips past the signal. This gives it an extra space to stop. Now if you put a 10 coach train on that same bit of track, there is no safety buffer, and in fact by adding an extra 2 coaches to that train, would then overlap the signal behind, meaning the train behind would be one signal further back, causing more congestion.
    Whilst what you say makes perfect sense, and I don't doubt a word of it, it's worth pointing out that some of the platforms at Hither Green station (and probably elsewhere) have been extended in the last few months to enable trains with more carriages to be used. Also, some services regularly have 12 coaches, some have 8, some have 10, so I presume there wouldn't be a problem with making the latter two a bit longer?
  • Options
    This is the offensive piece of track. They've identified it, are working on it and I am confident that once they've fixed it, there will be no more delays ever!!!!

• Options
    MrLargo said:

cafckev said:

Whilst what you say makes perfect sense, and I don't doubt a word of it, it's worth pointing out that some of the platforms at Hither Green station (and probably elsewhere) have been extended in the last few months to enable trains with more carriages to be used. Also, some services regularly have 12 coaches, some have 8, some have 10, so I presume there wouldn't be a problem with making the latter two a bit longer?
    Yes, but it depends where the train is signalled. If not all lines into London Bridge are the same length between signals, so for example a 12 coach train, is signalled down on line, which has the overlaps and spaces to take it, but a different line may only be able to take 8 coaches. This means that if a train was to be extended, it might not be able to use its normal line as it cant take the extra 2 coaches. Believe it or not, it takes months of planning to sort out a timetable, because of reasons like this, and as a former signalman, you get in a lot of trouble if you reroute a train off of its planned route!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our millwall friends are going to love this thread.
  • Options
    cafckev said:

Fair point Kev. I was only hoping for a couple of extra carraiges, but can see why they cannot do this, now you have explained.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

little confused.

I live in eltham and need to commute from their to london bridge monday - friday.

Am I f*cked?

No
  • Options
    cabbles said:

This is the offensive piece of track. They've identified it, are working on it and I am confident that once they've fixed it, there will be no more delays ever!!!!

Looks alright to me. Bloody Elf n Safety!!
  • Options

In assuming that if no trains are starting at Sidcup for 4 weeks, then I'd expect the same coming home with those that end there

Could be right - just had alert that 17.10 and 17.32 from CX both cancelled with 17 and 39 calling at additional stations

Happy commuting peeps!
  • Options
    The 06.34 from Sidcup now goes to Charing X instead of Cannon St. Grrrrrrrr!!!!!
  • Options
    The 06.34 from Sidcup now goes to Charing X instead of Cannon St. Grrrrrrrr!!!!!
  • Options
    WayneK said:

I hate having to switch platforms as well. Mine's the other way round. A couple of weeks ago, I got to westcombe park normal time for my 7.42am to Charing X, didn't notice there were delays coz just glanced up at the board and saw a train due to be arriving at 7.42, assumed it was my Charing X one. NO, it was the delayed 7.32 to Cannon St. I was reading on the train so didn't look up until after we left London Bdg, next thing I know I'm pulling into Cannon St. Agitations
  • Options
    no victoria trains up the bexleytheath line this morning meant everything else was alot busier - no bl**dy seat!!
  • Options

no victoria trains up the bexleytheath line this morning meant everything else was alot busier - no bl**dy seat!!

There won't be for another month or so mate. They're all coming down the posh line until a broken rail is fixed somewhere I'm told.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There won't be for another month or so mate. They're all coming down the posh line until a broken rail is fixed somewhere I'm told.

How long has Slade Green, Erith and Abbey Wood been posh?
  • Options
    Bastards. Signal failure between Waterloo East and L Bdg meant nothing left Charing X for about 40mins tonight and huge delays thereafter. I missed a doctor's apt. Gits
  • Options
    Just had a 70 min wait at lewisham! Useless company!
  • Options

cafckev said:

Fair point Kev. I was only hoping for a couple of extra carraiges, but can see why they cannot do this, now you have explained.
    There's nothing to stop them digging under bridges etc and introduce double decker trains...
  • Options

cafckev said:

There's nothing to stop them digging under bridges etc and introduce double decker trains...
    The cost may be a factor.
  • Options

cafckev said:

And i am sure that you wouldnt mind paying for it in the form of increased ticket prices!
  • Options
    Been working lates this week and there is nothing more soul destroying than being knackered and starving after a long day and the trains dicking you about.

South Eastern have managed it three days in a row now. Utter useless
  • Options
    But they must be the best because we pay so much to use them, imagine how rubbish it is in cheap Germany....oh hold on...

Seriously hate them, rarely any explanation for a fault and everyone is expected to just get on with it as if crap trains are the norm.
  • Options
    I'd be interested to know how signalling problems is south easterns fault.
  • Options
    we are train spotters of course so anyone ever travel on the double decker train that use to go down the bexleyheath line in the very early 70z ? weird thing you had to be a Hobit or a kid to sit in the upstairs bit