Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tower of London Poppies

What a wonderful sight they make and once complete in November will total 888,246 ceramic poppies.

Does anyone know what the intention is once the commemoration is over ? What will become of the poppies. ? Wouldn't it be good if they were sold for say £50 each with the revenue going to The Royal British Legion.

Comments

• What a wonderful sight they make and once complete in November will total 888,246 ceramic poppies.

Does anyone know what the intention is once the commemoration is over ? What will become of the poppies. ? Wouldn't it be good if they were sold for say £50 each with the revenue going to The Royal British Legion.

Ditto thoughts from Fanackapan Towers although Mr F suggested £5 per poppy ...

• They are being sold for £25 each with proceeds going to a few associated charities
  • PL54 said:

They are being sold for £25 each with proceeds going to a few associated charities

Thanks PL54

Seems cheap to me but good that various charities will benefit.

• I haven't quite worked out how they are being sold yet but I'll deffo want a couple
  • Absolutely amazing.
  • Truly amazing and will take a look on my walk to London Bridge tonight...
    £25 of which 10% goes to charities and the rest went on production and transportation.
  • When you look at them all and then realise that every single one represents a soldier who was killed in that war it becomes truly shocking. None of those young men should have died, in all truth, they died for fuck all!! God bless every one of them!
  • I ordered one of these yesterday (comes to £30:95p with postage). Money goes towards a great cause and you get to keep a part of history............
  • Sponsored links:

• That`s excellent!
  • just seen this on the news. I will have to go and have a look during the week. A nice idea for a piece of art, and a good commemoration for all to remember.
  • Forgot to do it before but just ordered one
  • Incredible, what a superb idea.

Love how it should give you an indication of the sheer weight of numbers who died but each individual is represented separately too.
  • Ordered mine last week. Fantastic idea, remember, that's just the deceased from the commonwealth. No Americans, or German forces.
  • edited August 2014
    Ordered one myself. What a beautiful and poignant piece of work
  • Agree they look brilliant, an excellent memorial.

I was up the top of the gherkin yesterday and you could see themr from up there, from that distance it really did look like a river of red, very poignant.
  • edited August 2014
    Walked past it earlier. Looks great. Lots of workers there, looked like they were starting to removing them.

Edit...... Didn't realise you could buy them so Just ordered a couple. I don't mind paying the £25 each although I feel the 10% charity contribution is a bit low. But they're taking the p with Postage costs.
  • They are there till November I think
  • Sponsored links:

• Dunno what they were doing then, about a dozen people were attending to them and there was an empty patch where they had obviosly removed some.
  • They have left some spaces not removed any. This mean guests can walk around. More will be added until November when there will be one for everyone who died. They are ceramic which means good packaging is required is needed to survive the post. This is expensive.
  • Think I saw they sold 100,000 in the first couple of days. The imaging is right and with the right coverage they will sell all of them over the next few months.
  • edited August 2014
    Crusty54 said:

They have left some spaces not removed any. This mean guests can walk around. More will be added until November when there will be one for everyone who died. They are ceramic which means good packaging is required is needed to survive the post. This is expensive.

ok cheers.
    I appreciate the packaging has to be good and £6 for 1 is fine. But it's £6 for each one you buy. It doesn't cost twice as much to P+P two of the same items to the same address. Didn't stop me paying it but it may have done if I'd wanted to purchase several. It is taking the P a bit imo.
  • I was there today with my kids.....looks fantastic.
  • Saw them being put in place last weekend looks fantastic - great idea and very moving 850,000 plus people died to save our liberty - great shame that we haven't used it as well as we should have. Two ordered today.
  • I was there today with my kids.....looks fantastic.

• Was at the Tower on Friday most impressed with the display, hope to buy one when they go on sale, overheard a woman say they would be sold on line at some point.
  • Was at the Tower on Friday most impressed with the display, hope to buy one when they go on sale, overheard a woman say they would be sold on line at some point.

You can here, I think: https://poppies.hrp.org.uk/buy-a-poppy/
  • Just seen a recent photo and the area I thought they were taking them away from when I was there is now completely filled in so they were obviously laying more. My mistake.