Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Team for the first game last season

2013 versus Bournemouth

B. Hamer
D. Dervite
M. Morrison
R. Wiggins
C. Solly
M. Gower
C. Harriott
A. Hughes
B. Pritchard
Y. Kermorgant
M. Sordell

Possible this season if we started tomorrow so not including our two mystery players (hopefully a striker and midfielder)

Henderson
Solly/Haim/Morrison/Wiggins
Gudmundsson/Buyens/Jackson/Harriott
Vetokele/Moussa
Subs: Pope/Wilson/Bikey/Gomez/Cousins/Tucudean/Church

At least the midfield looks stronger, not much to choose in defence, and I am not going to get involved in an argument about Kermorgant

Do you think we look stronger?

Comments

• Options
    I think there will be a difficulty regarding the Cousins/Buyens selection. network player v Academy graduate, used to the league v new to the league, senior player with expectations v younger hungry player, I wonder how that one will pan out.
    Yes I am assuming they are in competition with each other to a large extent.
  • Options
    you know what, that side doesn't look bad at all.
  • Options
    Hughes and Gower in a midfield two was always going to be a mistake. Knowing what we know now if we'd played another central midfielder instead of Sordell we might have been a bit better off. Oh well.
  • Options
    Looking at that side, a central midfielder and a teen on the wings, and a central midfield partnership of about 70 years, I'm surprised Bournemouth didn't hit double figures!

Kermorgant and Sordell should have been wonderful, but really wasn't
  • Options
    Tough to say if we look stronger. We don't know what Igor is capable of yet for us, same with Henderson (two areas where we may be weaker). Also we didn't know how valuable Dervite would be for us last season at the time.

Just for the sake of that poor midfield, yes we look stronger.
  • Options
    I think we look stronger although I think Bikey will be ahead of TBH
  • Options
    Henderson

Solly, Morro, TBH, Wiggins

Gudmunson, Buyens, Cousins, Jackson, Harriott

Vetokele

Pure guesswork as I am yet to see a pre season game.

I would imagine the definite starters are Henderson, Morro, Wiggins, Jackson.

Every other position, it may be argued is up for grabs
  • Options
    Cousins has gotta play IMO, had a good season last season got stronger as it went on would be silly not to let him develope further, can only see him improving.
  • Options
    No Wilson?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

Henderson

Vetokele

Vetokele must be a definite starter as well... He's pretty much played every Pre-Season game for us and is our marque player
  • Options
    Henderson
    Solly Bikey TBH Wiggins
    Gudmundsson Buyens Jackson Harriott
    Vetokele Church

Pope Morrison Gomez Wilson Cousins Moussa Tucudean
  • Options
    ross1 said:

2013 versus Bournemouth

B. Hamer
    D. Dervite
    M. Morrison
    R. Wiggins
    C. Solly
    M. Gower
    C. Harriott
    A. Hughes
    B. Pritchard
    Y. Kermorgant
    M. Sordell

Possible this season if we started tomorrow so not including our two mystery players (hopefully a striker and midfielder)

Henderson
    Solly/Haim/Morrison/Wiggins
    Gudmundsson/Buyens/Jackson/Harriott
    Vetokele/Moussa
    Subs: Pope/Wilson/Bikey/Gomez/Cousins/Tucudean/Church

At least the midfield looks stronger, not much to choose in defence, and I am not going to get involved in an argument about Kermorgant

Do you think we look stronger?

And we were outplayed, outclassed, overrun and taught a lesson by a good, newly promoted side. Can't happen again. Can it?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Henderson
    Solly Bikey TBH Wiggins
    Gudmundsson Buyens Jackson Harriott
    Vetokele Church

Pope Morrison Gomez Wilson Cousins Moussa Tucudean

If church starts the first game I'll be truly gutted
  • Options

you know what, that side doesn't look bad at all.

You're right it looks woeful ;o)
  • Options
    Cousins has to start but I think we will play 4-4-2
  • Options
    Henderson
    Wilson/Solly Bikey Morrisson Wiggins
    Cousins buyens
    Gudmundsson Moussa Harriott
    Vetekole

Pope Wilson/Solly Ben haim Jackson church Ansah George
  • Options
    Hughes and Gower in the middle shocking decision. I'm sure they didn't once play alongside each other in preseason that year.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Hughes and Gower in the middle shocking decision. I'm sure they didn't once play alongside each other in preseason that year.

Think offering gower a contrct was a worse decision!
  • Options
    Very true
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cabbles said:

Henderson

Vetokele

Vetokele must be a definite starter as well... He's pretty much played every Pre-Season game for us and is our marque player
    Good point. I put him in up top on his own, but would be happy to see two forwards up front personally. I realises this raises the issue of only having 2 centre mids, one of which has to be JJ. This is difficult because I think the consensus is JJ has to play in a 3 man central midfield. I think Pompey has to be the closest to his starting XI, so we'll have to see.
  • Options

Hughes and Gower in a midfield two was always going to be a mistake. Knowing what we know now if we'd played another central midfielder instead of Sordell we might have been a bit better off. Oh well.

Powell made a mistake ?
  • Options

Henderson
    Cousins buyens
    Vetekole

This
  • Options

Henderson
    Cousins buyens
    Vetekole

Bit too much like for like in that team in my opinion. Cousins and Buyens jobs are very similar, Gudmundsson, Moussa and Harriot are all flair players on the ball but will all drift in and out the game.

Think a solid 4-5-1 or even 4-4-2 would outrun that midfield box to box especially with no big voice to run the midfield. Buyens & Gudmundsson new to the league, as is Moussa essentially (although will cut it no problem), Cousins still very young and Harriott not a leader. Don't think either of Solly or Moussa will start our opening game, either.
  • Options
    ---------Henderson
    Solly - Haim - Morrison - Wiggins
    ---Buyens - Cousins - Jackson
    Gudmundsson - Vetokele - Moussa

Please
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

---------Henderson

Please

I don't have any clue at all, but in that midfield three it would seem to make sense to have Wilson for Buyens.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Everyone picking Morrison but something tells me Bikey and Ben Haim start? As long as Henderson settles then the back five looks good to me and we can put Hamer and Dervite firmly in the past.
    Upfront I sense they are trying out Harriott with Vetokele...no idea what formation the front six will play: 4-3-3/4-5-1 or 4-4-2... But I sense Tucudean and Wilson on the bench. Along with Gomez. Perhaps Solly only plays an hour to ensure he influences and starts as many games as possible.
    Just a week to go ;)
    Edit: seen the Portsmouth thread and that's the obvious choice for starting line up...
    No Morrison and look at the reports / press conference after to get an idea of who doesn't retain their starting place from today.
  • Options
    Midfield was very weak on the opening day last season, but we had better players in the squad who were unavailable or overlooked that day for whatever reason. Defence probably stronger than this year, attack probably about the same (Igor hopefully better than Sordell, but I'll be amazed f we signed anyone who can do what Yann dies better than Yann).

Couple more good signings and I might change my mind, but I don't really think the squad looks that much stronger than last year. Maybe a bit better balanced and we at least have more options on the wings. That said, we should have finished further from trouble than we did last year so this years squad should keep us out if too much danger (I hope).
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

---------Henderson

Please

Like that BUT I'd love to find a place for Wilson and when Moussa is fit I'd play him ahead of Buyens although admittedly I have not seen him play yet but he and Cousins seem too similar.
  • Options
    With our current team, I would like to see us try 3 5 2, we have 3 good CH, actually with Gomez we would have a very good ball playing CH.