Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Hewie in need of help

2»

Comments

• Options
    True legend who I think played every position for Charlton. Good luck Mr Hewie.
  • Options
    Good luck John
    I remember going to his Testimonial as a young lad and whingeing because they had doubled the price of the programme from sixpence to a shilling.
    Remember him best from that year Firmani came back and we finished 4th. That team still rolls off the tongue: -
    Rose, Hewie, Kinsey; Bailey, Haydock, Tocknell; Kenning, Matthews, Firmani, Edwards, Glover
  • Options
    john hewie was my dad's first heroic player introduction to me when he advised, "you support the team you are born nearest to." he then went through the team and john hewie already stood out as just, legend.
  • Options
    Great piece Bluedragon. "Long" John was one of my early hero's when I first started going to The Valley in 1962.
  • Options
    Bluedragon, happy for you to use the pic of Hewie shirt in the museum as long as it was credited.

Would love to see and read more so we can add it to the museum archives.

We will have a look for an action shot of Hewie for you.

How can I contact you direct?
  • Options
    Thanks for the approval on the photograph and for looking out an action shot. I was looking to see if I could send you a personal message via the forum with an e-mail address. I couldn't find how to do it. Is that possible?
  • Options
    check the inbox top right of the screen
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @bluedragon - for a brief action shot of John please find on here a recent thread about Woolwich in 1964. It is a film and shortly after the start there is a short section on CAFC (the match is vs Norwich on 11 Apr 64) and you will easily spot the great man. SE18:Impressions of a London suburb (1964)
  • Options
    John was at right back when I started following Charlton in the early sixties, alongside Brian Kinsey. He was the sort of full back that gave nothing less than 100%, and was a real gent off the pitch, always signing autographs after the game and at training sessions.

He was a bit of a Stevie Brown in some respects and could play in other positions when needed, I remember him covering at centre-half for one game.

This is such a dreadful illness and a shame to see such a great bloke in this position. I hope his family can make him as comfortable as possible, and if they do read any of this, it was a real pleasure to have seen John play.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I think I am right in saying that Hewie wore every shirt number except 11 for Charlton. Anyone know for sure?
  • Options
    Thanks for the film clip. As you say instantly recognisable - very tall. Man-at-Milletts - I am going to nick the second sentence from your first paragraph - a real fan's description.

The seminal book on Scottish internationals describes him as "full-back chiefly but extremely versatile, able to play anywhere in the half-back line and to lead the attack. Very tall, so good in the air, while his long legs loped over the ground at an appreciable rate of knots. Confident and sure with his kicking. "

The same book credits John with a Scottish Under 23 cap but I cannot find it. Scotland's first U23 international was in February 1955 and John was already a B cap and would have been too old.
  • Options

I think I am right in saying that Hewie wore every shirt number except 11 for Charlton. Anyone know for sure?

I am pretty sure he managed the full set, but I'm not able to access Home and Away for a week or so. A very interesting question and we owe him finding the answer.
  • Options
    I also began watching Charlton in 1963 and the team quoted by Six A Bag Of Nuts brings back great memories.Some classy players there and none more so than John Hewie.Calm and authoritative,a thoughtful player who did everything so well.I wish John and his family the very best and hope his illness can be managed comfortably and carefully for him.Good luck John and thank you so much for all you gave to the club and its supporters.
  • Options
    Any chance someone can try to persuade the club to do something
  • Options

My John Hewie testimonial programme has gone awol but, if memory serves me right, I believe it set out his appearances with each shirt number and I don't think he wore 7 or 11 but he did all the others.

I'm another of 1963 vintage but can still remember him looking a class above. My late grandfather was scathing of most of the players in that first season 62/63 but always rated John Hewie I remember.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

My John Hewie testimonial programme has gone awol but, if memory serves me right, I believe it set out his appearances with each shirt number and I don't think he wore 7 or 11 but he did all the others.

I'm another of 1963 vintage but can still remember him looking a class above. My late grandfather was scathing of most of the players in that first season 62/63 but always rated John Hewie I remember.
    I'm sure I've still got the John Hewie testimonial programme.
    I'm away at the GF's at the moment but can check it out when I get home.

• Options
    ross1 said:

Any chance someone can try to persuade the club to do something

If you read back you'll see they already have.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    http://www.lookandlearn.com/childrens-newspaper/CN550212-008.pdf

Blast from the past

http://www.tfgsoccerclub.co.za/shorts/on-guard/

Played in nine out of eleven positions according to this

• Options
    March51 said:

RE: the music idea. Some years ago my mother suffered serious dementia and eventually had to be cared for in a home. The only times she showed any sign of remembering 'the outside world' was when we visited and my daughter played old songs and tunes for her on the home's piano, she even remembered some of the words: that's proof enough for me that it can work. Unfortunately most homes seem to think that leaving the TV on all day is enough.

:-(
  • Sponsored links: