Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Goals.....

Is it too early to be concerned about the lack of goals pre-season? It's been the same for a number of years....no real goal scorer, and lack of goals has often been a problem for us. I was hoping that by now, we would have worked this out, but I'm not convinced we've addressed this? Should Vetokele have scored more than he has? Tucudean? What's happening with Reza - certainly not getting any goals at the moment! Church......don't get me started.

It still doesn't feel like we've got a striker who can bang even 15-16 goals a season let alone 20+

I'll admit, I am more of a glass half empty person, so maybe i'm just being over-worried, but with only 2 weeks till kick off.......

Comments

• braydex said:

Is it too early to be concerned about the lack of goals pre-season? It's been the same for a number of years....no real goal scorer, and lack of goals has often been a problem for us. I was hoping that by now, we would have worked this out, but I'm not convinced we've addressed this? Should Vetokele have scored more than he has? Tucudean? What's happening with Reza - certainly not getting any goals at the moment! Church......don't get me started.

It still doesn't feel like we've got a striker who can bang even 15-16 goals a season let alone 20+

I'll admit, I am more of a glass half empty person, so maybe i'm just being over-worried, but with only 2 weeks till kick off.......

Bit hard to score if your not playing
  • Igor will get double figures if and if we get Powell pulling the strings Scholes esque he should be able to get 15 plus
    plus stil early early days.
  • Sorry, that was what
  • sorry that was what I meant about Reza.....not scoring because he's not playing. Not really sure what's happening to him?
  • I think that we should consider the way in which the team will be structured this season. It seems to me that Bob is looking at a more attacking line-up, with youngsters being given their chance. Time will tell, but I am in the glass half full camp, and I believe that we will be capable of a top half finish.
  • I find the forward line slightly worrying. Hopefully Vetokele bangs them in but if he takes a while to adjust I just don't see where the goals are going to come from.. Hopefully with a full pre season behind them Polish Pete and Reza will step up but I have my doubts.

I posted this about a month ago but since then PP has moved on and Reza looks like he could also be off. I was slightly worried then but i'm abit more concerned now and these friendlies haven't convinced me otherwise. I'm hoping these rumours of players joining soon give us abit more upfront or we could be in for another long season.
  • They are only friendlies! More for fitness and changing style of play or trying out new players and young players for a new manager! Keep carm people "we are going up"
  • Gary Goals
  • TBH i was of the opinion also that they are only friendlies and designed for fitness so no need to worry. But you know what it should also be about developing sharpness, especially in finishing. I'm not pushing any panic buttons yet at all, but i think we should be scoring in these friendlies especially given the levels we are playing against as we will be up against a lot stronger this year. Its the prime opportunity for our strikers to score some goals and go into the season with confidence, not a moniker of not scored in X number of games.

The championship is extremely strong this season. looking at the fixtures there aren't any that i look at think "we should definitely win that one". Again not panicking just pointing out its a really tough division.

It sounds like we are creating chances, but just not putting them away. Vetokele, Harriot, Gudmundsson and Pigott all had chances last night. Vetokele sounds particularly like he is getting into good positions. With Moussa yet to come in and also we have potentially one or two more signings coming in i'm still hopeful we will have the personnel to do better than last year. I still maintain last year we only failed because of our strikers and wingers (or there lack of) as our defensive play was good.

I'm pleased our defence is doing well preseason, but scoring more than the other team wins you games. You never now, they may be saving themselves until the start of the season as its not long now and they might not want to risk injury, and i honestly hope they are.

I'm really looking forward to this season. Seeing the odd goal in these friendlies would be nice though.
  • Not concerned in the slightest, friendlies are meaningless.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not concerned in the slightest, friendlies are meaningless.

This
  • braydex said:

Pretty sure he didn't say he was playing ?
  • braydex said:

Pretty sure he didn't say he was playing ?
    never said he did, but he did say he is not getting any goals at the moment lol
    so I was just pointing out its hard to score goals if you aint playing
  • If my car was not firing on all cylinders when I took it for a meaningless spin round the block, I'd be worried about setting off for the south of France.
  • Goals are overrated. I want to see fast attacking passing which has been thoroughly rehearsed at sparrows lane