Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Silly local things you remember from years back

Comments

• Options
    Knowing 20 phone numbers off by heart

Portable tv's that had a dial rather than buttons.
  • Options
    Milk Machines
  • Options
    Subbuteo, with about 500 different strips availible, but never one that exactly matched Charlton.
  • Options
    Rabbits hanging in the window of butchers shops, with the fur still on them.

Trams leaving Eltham high st, going to Well Hall an Woolwich
  • Options

Ash trays that you pushed in to make the ash disappear (my Nan had one of these, I was far too young to smoke!!)

I remember the ones that span around as you pressed, you could get them spinning quite fast used keep me amused for hours.

• Options

Subbuteo, with about 500 different strips availible, but never one that exactly matched Charlton.

Charlton were team number 177. Never could find it anywhere. Used to spend ages going through the shelves of teams in Hubble Bubble in Blackfen.
  • Options

Spending your pocket money at Nuxley Toys in Bexleyheath (not Toys R Us!!). I still remember the musty / cardboard smell with all the toys piled high to the ceiling and the bins in the middle of the shop that held the pocket money toys.

I can remember going there as soon as I got any Birthday money etc to get the latest Star Wars figures. Sadly only one branch left now (there were 4 at one time) in Gravesend. Toys still piled high and cheap!
    Its Kit Krazy (the one where you could get the Airfix models etc...) in Bexleyheath that I always preferred to Nuxley Toys.

Really good to see them still going whenever I drive up Bexleyheath High Street
  • Options
    The old man who used to come over on the boat from France and knock on the door selling his French Onions, He was laden with them but used to sell 'em all

Rag and Bone man, would shout at the top of his voice, ANY OLD IRON.

Scrumping for fruit.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Catching a green line 725 bus From Widmore Green(Bromley) To Heathrow, No Longer runs.
    Swimming in the outdoor pool at Holy Trinity Convent, Plaistow Lane Bromley. Now Turned into Apartments
    Getting free crackling with chips wrapped up in newspaper, local Chippy at Holmesdale road, Bromley.

Hey Badger, what road did you live in ?
  • Options
    Getting beaten to a pulp outside the Blue Heaven.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    putting a banger in dog shit - Splendid!!
  • Options
    Omnis
  • Options

The boating pond in Greenwich Park.

I worked there weekends and holidays when in the 6th form.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The paddling pool at Eaglesfield

Charlton Lido (now restored I believe)
  • Options
    buckshee said:

This

That's Lewisham isn't it?
  • Options
    St Martyns grove Lido, Bexleyeath Bowling, Nuxley Toys, Gentrys sports (welling corner), Slam door trains
  • Options

Badger said:

Catching a green line 725 bus From Widmore Green(Bromley) To Heathrow, No Longer runs.
    Swimming in the outdoor pool at Holy Trinity Convent, Plaistow Lane Bromley. Now Turned into Apartments
    Getting free crackling with chips wrapped up in newspaper, local Chippy at Holmesdale road, Bromley.

Hey Badger, what road did you live in ?
    Beechfield Road.
  • Options
    Watching me old mum racing the neighbours to see who could get to the horse shit first for the roses!

Waking up in the winter with ice on the inside of the window!

Tizer with ice cream in it.

Toast and dripping for tea on a Sunday

When the money had run out by Thursday, sugar sandwiches for tea - yum!

My first pair of football boots that had the studs nailed onto them

Wiping your arse with sheets of torn up newspaper.

Getting caught short in the woods and wiping your arse with a dock leaf
  • Options
    Being so cold you undressed and then dressed under the bedding.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

buckshee said:

This

That's Lewisham isn't it?
    Yep , used to love waiting around for it to start. That and the giraffe and crocodile you could play on outside WH Smiths
  • Options
    Proper drinks cans that could turn your ankle when you tried to crush them, but made great footballs.
  • Options
    That lewisham one is a forgotten memory. They used to shit the life out of me. Cracking find that.
  • Options

Being abused by 'Mad Rose' outside Carrington House on my way to school each morning.

Walking into Charlie The Tramp as a 5 year old, who probably resided at Carrington House.
  • Options

The rasta tramp in Woolwich used to scare the bejesus out of me by the under pass on John Wilson street

And sarge the Woolwich tramp by the fountain always looked out for him and gave him a few quid and food, if the tales were true I reckon that's how I'd end up,

I can't remember his name, but the black tramp allegedly, lost all of his family in a fire.
  • Options
    Putting your conkers in the oven.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

The Mackintoshes lorry delivering fizzy drinks to the house

Baines the coalman filling up our bunker

The icecream man on his tricycle

The rag and bone man

What century were you born in?
    I swear Len Glover looks no older than about 55 tops, yet he must be about 70 :-)
  • Options
    Watching the hawker hunter weather jet doing loop the loops at lunchtime at school. Picknick ball bearings out you
  • Options
    Knees from plsyground
  • Options
    buckshee said:

This

Amazing. Can't believe we used to look forward to going to Lewisham. It was
    the only shopping centre we had iirc and I loved it there