Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No more football betting allowed if you work for a football club

As of August 1 2014, it is an offence for any employee of a football club (including directors and some subcontractors) to place a bet on a football match anyone in the world.

This is a new ruling to come in from The FA and includes every employee of every club from the Premier League to Step 4 level .

The FA say they are monitoring global betting markets on a daily basis while English law demands that bookmakers inform the authorities of any suspicious betting patterns. Under new legislation, any betting company wishing to offer bets in the UK must have a licence, putting an end to unregulated offshore bookies. In theory this should make the markets easier to monitor.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2014/may/ban-on-betting-passed-by-fa-shareholders

Comments

• Options
    For example, the person who works the turnstiles down the Valley and puts a fiver on Barcelona to win that night is technically in breach of the rules.
  • Options
    Drastic but maybe it is needed to stop match fixing taking hold.
  • Options
    But how would they know?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

But how would they know?

I would presume every club would have to give a list of current employees.
  • Options
    Agree with Stig
  • Options
    That's me fecked then - or maybe a blessing in disguise as I'm useless at backing winners!!
  • Options
    Ha, that will mess up the goings on at a certain stripey club up the road. One of their workforce always has fistfuls of £50 notes for bets on a Saturday!
  • Options
    Stig said:

Lets face it, if the guy on the turnstiles bets a fiver on Barca, they ain't gonna know.

How did they know about the Ronnie Moore bet ?
  • Options
    I would expect that most Tranmere fans, and many fans of other teams, would have a pretty good idea of what Ronnie looks like and would care that a manager had bet against his own team winning. It's more that just a little bit different to a junior employee betting on a match in another country.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it is quite draconian and unreasonable for staff and contractors who have zero influence or involvement with the footballing side of a club. I understand why they are doing It but I have never agreed with taking a shot gun approach to solving a problem.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

I think it is quite draconian and unreasonable for staff and contractors who have zero influence or involvement with the footballing side of a club. I understand why they are doing It but I have never agreed with taking a shot gun approach to solving a problem.

I think Stig is pretty accurate in that if a steward or a catering staffer sticks a bet on during the week then no-one will bat an eye. It's just a way to simplify things so that if a player is found to have bet on their own game in any way, they can be done for it without needing to mess around proving they did or did not deliberately act in any way to alter the result
  • Options
    hahaha. Just watch the eu courts tear that apart.
  • Options
    When do the tickets for Barcelona go on sale?
  • Options
    Seems a bit extreme
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Kap10 said:

I think Stig is pretty accurate in that if a steward or a catering staffer sticks a bet on during the week then no-one will bat an eye. It's just a way to simplify things so that if a player is found to have bet on their own game in any way, they can be done for it without needing to mess around proving they did or did not deliberately act in any way to alter the result
    I kind of agree, but football clubs and football authorities have proved to be such twats in the past that you can see that said steward being sacked because the club fears sanctions from yhe governing body.

• Options
    Can't be policed it's another crazy rule

• Options

Stig said:

Lets face it, if the guy on the turnstiles bets a fiver on Barca, they ain't gonna know.

How did they know about the Ronnie Moore bet ?

Ronnie was part of a family syndicate , we discussed it on this thread . I would have taken a different view if his fiver had been placed on Tranmere losing . I felt it was harsh.

http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/62113/ronnie-moore
  • Options
    @shirty5
    But it's not "an offence" is it.

It's merely a rule of a "members club" which people and businesses choose to belong to.
    You aren't going to get prosecuted as an individual.
    In addition it's difficult to know what the FA's sanction could be against, say, a turnstile operator other than some pointless ban from working for an FA affiliated club and how would even that be monitored?
    In addition there is, for example, currently a defence to any charges brought against "a participant" by the FA:
    "It shall be a defence to a charge brought pursuant to sub-paragraph (e) if a
    Participant can establish, on the balance of probability, that the Participant
    provided any such information in circumstances where he did not know, and could
    not reasonably have known, that the information provided would be used by the
    other person for or in relation to betting".
    So, in my view, it seems safe to assume that the aforementioned turnstile operator could have as their defence the fact that they were entirely ignorant of any inside info about their bet, and that any FA imposed ban on working in football would be very rapidly overturned by an employment tribunal or human rights court.
    This is just silly FA bluster and it's really aimed, surely, at the higher echelons within clubs. If so, they really ought to say so. I think, too, that the FA probably need to employ better lawyers. (I guess The Football League's abject failure in the Leeds Utd takeover case hasn't managed to filter through to the FA's brain cell yet to serve as a lesson as to what is likely to happen when you make up rules on the hoof.)
  • Options
    They can always get their mates to do it for them. #Loophole
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2014
    cafcfan said:
    But it's not "an offence" is it.

It's merely a rule of a "members club" which people and businesses choose to belong to.
    You aren't going to get prosecuted as an individual.
    In addition it's difficult to know what the FA's sanction could be against, say, a turnstile operator other than some pointless ban from working for an FA affiliated club and how would even that be monitored?
    In addition there is, for example, currently a defence to any charges brought against "a participant" by the FA:
    "It shall be a defence to a charge brought pursuant to sub-paragraph (e) if a
    Participant can establish, on the balance of probability, that the Participant
    provided any such information in circumstances where he did not know, and could
    not reasonably have known, that the information provided would be used by the
    other person for or in relation to betting".
    So, in my view, it seems safe to assume that the aforementioned turnstile operator could have as their defence the fact that they were entirely ignorant of any inside info about their bet, and that any FA imposed ban on working in football would be very rapidly overturned by an employment tribunal or human rights court.
    This is just silly FA bluster and it's really aimed, surely, at the higher echelons within clubs. If so, they really ought to say so. I think, too, that the FA probably need to employ better lawyers. (I guess The Football League's abject failure in the Leeds Utd takeover case hasn't managed to filter through to the FA's brain cell yet to serve as a lesson as to what is likely to happen when you make up rules on the hoof.)

I agree. In betting shops, for example, most betting is anonymous. You could argue that the media are in a much better position to receive and make use of inside information, but the FA can't control what reporters do. Extending their rules to include, for example, catering staff betting on other matches in different jurisdictions means absolutely nothing and unless incorporated into each club's staff policies I don't see how a club could even act on it, still less the FA.
  • Options
    It looks like there are two major changes to the rules.

1. In the past a club's employee could bet on matches that did not involve his club; or the competitions his club plays in that season; or the competitions involving any club he has played for that season. So, for example, a Charlton player, signing from Aston Villa, this season would not be allowed to bet on the outcome of (or outcome of any game involving teams in) the Premier League, the FA Cup, the League Cup or the Championship. Other matches (eg League One or European matches) would be ok.

The new rule extends it to all matches.

2. Players used to be prohibited from match result betting; spot betting (ie number of goals, corners, yellow cards, etc); or competition betting (eg who is going to win the FA Cup). But other bets surrounding football (eg player transfers, hiring of managers, etc) are now included.

The bit I don't get is this: "Under new legislation, any betting company wishing to offer bets in the UK must have a licence, putting an end to unregulated offshore bookies". How does a new rule, that imposes an obligation on betting shops in the UK "put an end to unregulated offshore bookies"? That's a leap that I can't decipher.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

The bit I don't get is this: "Under new legislation, any betting company wishing to offer bets in the UK must have a licence, putting an end to unregulated offshore bookies". How does a new rule, that imposes an obligation on betting shops in the UK "put an end to unregulated offshore bookies"? That's a leap that I can't decipher.

It is just muddying the waters and is an entirely separate matter.

When the new Gambling (Licensing and Advertising) Bill finishes wending its way through Parliament all bookmakers, not just UK ones, will be required to get a license from The Gambling Commission if they wish to provide betting services to UK-based punters.
    That puts them under the auspices of The Gambling Commission's enforcement regime and - if they wish to keep their license - means they will need to comply with the Commisssion's edicts. That will include the provision of data on betting if they are needed to demonstrate that there had been "unusual betting patterns".

Now, whether the proverbial turnstile operator putting a £5 bet on a match with a Gibraltar-based bookmaker is going to trigger any enforcement action..... well, I leave you to decide!

The other pertinent question, of course, is whether The Gambling Commission would be inclined to use its enforcement powers to work out whether a member of a private body had breached that body's membership rules. I think they may be more inclined to not waste their resources on such an enquiry unless there was the scope to demonstrate that there had been either widespread or high worth fraudulent activity.

In fact, the Commission's own policy statement, using phrases such as "risk assessment", "proportionality" and "offences under the Act" together with a clear focus on "the prevention on illegal gambling" rather indicates that the body with the enforcement powers is quite likely to tell the FA to FO.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Chizz said:

When the new Gambling (Licensing and Advertising) Bill finishes wending its way through Parliament all bookmakers, not just UK ones, will be required to get a license from The Gambling Commission if they wish to provide betting services to UK-based punters.
    So a company wishing to offer a market in Premier League fixtures in, say, Venezuela, to punters in, say, South America, north America and Continental Europe, has to get a "licence" to allow them to do so?
  • Options
    No. That's why I explained "if they wish to provide betting services to UK-based punters."
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

No. That's why I explained "if they wish to provide betting services to UK-based punters."

What happens if a uk punter goes on line, finds them and places a bet?
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

cafcfan said:

Well, for on-line betting you need an account right? For the bookie's money laundering regime, I assume (I don't know I've never done it) you'd need to provide an address, a bank account where your winnings can be paid into plus other stuff like confirming your age to prevent under-age betting? They could also tell which country you computer was in. So unless you went to extraordinary lengths to use a VPN and set up fake details they'd still know where you were from wouldn't they?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    cafcfan said:

Kap10 said:

cafcfan said:

Well, for on-line betting you need an account right? For the bookie's money laundering regime, I assume (I don't know I've never done it) you'd need to provide an address, a bank account where your winnings can be paid into plus other stuff like confirming your age to prevent under-age betting? They could also tell which country you computer was in. So unless you went to extraordinary lengths to use a VPN and set up fake details they'd still know where you were from wouldn't they?
    You are right about bank account or card and computer location, although you don't need to proved an address. However my point was more related to a punter placing an unsolicited bet, would they have to block it or could they accept it.