Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who signs our players?

Usually when a club replaces a manager with a head coach they usually also sign a director of football to handle all the signings. Just wondering if anyone knows who picks targets and actually signs the players etc. I don't feel we can really hold Peeters accountable for signings when he is only a "head coach".

Comments

• Options

Usually when a club replaces a manager with a head coach they usually also sign a director of football to handle all the signings. Just wondering if anyone knows who picks targets and actually signs the players etc. I don't feel we can really hold Peeters accountable for signings when he is only a "head coach".

Our biggest signing of the summer was a Peeters signing no doubt about it.
  • Options

In the more recent past I'd concluded that it was Inspector Clousseau.

• Options
    Buyens and Vetekole are definitely Peeters signings, Tucudean too probably seeing as he has been playing for Liege. Gudmundsson maybe. Bikey yes too as we had him on trial before signing. TBH he must at the very least know of so I think he sanctioned that too. Henderson he would have taken advice from Ben Roberts whist Ansah and Cumberbatch are punts and he may not be aware of those. All in my opinion but hope it helps.

Or should I have said none as they were all sourced and supplied by RD.
  • Options
    Considering Powell was sacked because of "disagreements over footballing strategy" I was convinced we would have signed a Director of Football immediately.
    I guess if the signings are successful it won't matter too much who signed them
  • Options
    The article on another thread suggests that the SL sporting director left because he didn't want to be SD for the whole "empire" leaving Roland and Dudu Dahan, the agent, to do the deals.

But elsewhere it has been said that Karel Fayre (sp?) Last seen as a Riga's no.2 is still very much involved and will be more involved again.

But it is an important question that hasn't been officially answered.
  • Options
    Karel Freye.
  • Options
    Phil Chapple is still there, he must have some input.
  • Options
    Iain Dowie was head coach without working with a director of football. I know he had Andrew Mills above him, but it was Dowie that chose which players we should target.

It seems to be the case with Peeters aside from the development squad signings (not sure who decides to sign them?), while Henderson at least was clearly recommended by other staff.
  • Options

Karel Freye.

Thanks, right letters, wrong order. Classic Dyslexic error ; - )

Anyway, he's still around and part of the "empire"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2014
    It's an interesting point.

We don't know who scouts these players but, as mentioned above, BP seems to have had a good say in identifying a majority of them given their past career records and shared previous.

Does PC scout these players from all over Europe? That would surprise me. The fact he is a scout surprises me anyway, but I'll try to avoid stereotyping a footballer who never had a touch as being unable to spot it in others.

Then I wonder who does the negotiation? As in meeting with agents and players and getting a player to chose the club over others? I don't mean the fine print of the contract itself, I mean the work behind the scenes to get deal going. I would expect that to be someone from the football world rather than the business world.

think Burkinshaw - Ardiles/Villa
    Curbs and Claus Jensen
    Powell and BWP

Curbs should do the football CEO role for the network. With his urbane and cosmopolitan outlook he would be perfect for the role. Joking aside, if promotion was ever on the cards, we would need someone to sell the club to higher profile players. I just can't fathom the gap. Either coach and tech director or old school all singing and dancing manager.

makes me admire Redknapp all the more for doing it all himself ;)
  • Options

How else would he get his house in Sandbanks?
  • Options
    Halix said:

How else would he get his house in Sandbanks?

Sandbanks is a sh******!
  • Options
    Leyton Orient, usually.
  • Options
    I thought someone from Charlton just looked on the rumours rumours thread on charlton life and took their pick..
  • Options

I heard it was that nice bloke in the burger van opposite the superstore who can't remember your order 3 secs after you tell him..