Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gerrard retires from international football

Comments

• Options
    Was our best player at Euro 2012, was a liability at World Cup 2014. Wish he'd retired before the most recent WC but at least he's called it off now
  • Options

To be fair , i thought he was one of our best players at the last Euro's , i thought he was shocking (carrying an injury at the World cup?).

There's no way his body would be able to cope with Internationals and Champs league this season , he's made the right move , shows about bad the English team is that he was getting picked at 34, when clearly his legs had gone.

You got the feeling that the England team was moulded to fit Gerrard in. If you want an experienced defensive midfielder at the WC, I'd rather have played Barry.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

cabbles said:

Good.

Great club player, like so many others never translated into International form.

Him moving aside will help Wilshere/Barkley/Shelvey etc. get constant game-time for England and start to build a new team around them.

Definitely think that him moving aside will help get younger players involved at an earlier stage in their career. Not Wilshere though. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say he's never going to impact at the international level and he's the tier below what it takes to be top class. In fact he's 2 tiers below. A) he plays for a team that get smoke blown up their arse despite not actually winning anything. B) he's overpaid and really rates himself.

If anything I can see me putting up a similar thread in 12 years time about Wilshere's retirement from intl football whereby I refer back to this and say 'should've packed it in at 22'
    C) He blows smoke up his own arse.

Not dedicated enough to succeed at international level.
    In what way?
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Good.

Great club player, like so many others never translated into International form.

Him moving aside will help Wilshere/Barkley/Shelvey etc. get constant game-time for England and start to build a new team around them.

Definitely think that him moving aside will help get younger players involved at an earlier stage in their career. Not Wilshere though. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say he's never going to impact at the international level and he's the tier below what it takes to be top class. In fact he's 2 tiers below. A) he plays for a team that get smoke blown up their arse despite not actually winning anything. B) he's overpaid and really rates himself.

If anything I can see me putting up a similar thread in 12 years time about Wilshere's retirement from intl football whereby I refer back to this and say 'should've packed it in at 22'
    The injury(s) that he's suffered seem to have really impacted his confidence in the tackle now, and that's a major problem for someone who plays in Wilshere's position.
  • Options
    Should take Hodgson with him.

• Options

To be fair , i thought he was one of our best players at the last Euro's , i thought he was shocking (carrying an injury at the World cup?).

There's no way his body would be able to cope with Internationals and Champs league this season , he's made the right move , shows about bad the English team is that he was getting picked at 34, when clearly his legs had gone.

You got the feeling that the England team was moulded to fit Gerrard in. If you want an experienced defensive midfielder at the WC, I'd rather have played Barry.
    I'll never get over the image of him against Germany in 2010 when he tried to make the tackle as the last man.

Ive seen milk turn quicker.
  • Options

I'll never get over the image of him against Germany in 2010 when he tried to make the tackle as the last man.

That was an absolute embarrassment.
  • Options
    Well at least this creates a space for Danny Green now.
  • Options
    One word

Bye
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    seth plum said:

Well at least this creates a space for Danny Green West Ham Academy Graduate Diego Poyet now.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

That was an absolute embarrassment.
    But at least he has positional discipline, and can be trusted to stay in his position, and not play too many Hollywood balls
  • Options

LenGlover said:

cabbles said:

Good.

In what way?
    My comment was intended to be slightly flippant given the previous comment re Arsenal and recent tabloid photos of him.

But if the premise is succeeding at the absolute highest level, ie actually winning tournaments, there maybe an underlying serious point to be made.

Many of the guys who represent the more successful countries are absolutely dedicated to the game in comparison to some of our players. Players of extreme talent could "get away with it" fitnesswise a few years back but there are fewer and fewer hiding places as the sheer athleticism of the best players improves and, with all due respect to him, Jack Wilshere is not a player of extreme talent in my opinion. He's in the England mix but that doesn't say much in World terms.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Good player for England at times, despite playing for "that team". Should have packed in after the last Euros, but obviously appreciated the honour of playing for his country, unlike others, and never shirked it.
  • Options
    Shame that so many are making disparaging remarks. He may have not been a superstar for England, but he never hid and always gave his all.

Scored some important goals over the years, but England fans aren't the type to remember such things straight after a poor tournament.
  • Options
    Shockingly over-hyped player. Love to see his pass per game/ completion rate. Nowhere near World class as some people contend.
  • Options
    lolwray said:

alex ferguson was right about him

Fergie also said Phil Jones could become one of the greatest players in Utd's history.

If you are basing Gerrard on his international performances then you can tar many others with that brush. Including Paul Scholes. Gerrard won huge games for Liverpool almost single handedly.
  • Options
    Either England's players underperformed when they put on the three lions......or they weren't as good as we thought they were.
  • Options
    I think some players are suited more to club football than international. Gerrard is one of those, his play could never adapt to the international game despite England trying to play him in the same role.
  • Options
    I hate to agree with anything that Robbie savage says, but one thing stuck in my mind over the WC what I agreed with.

Along the lines of:

"Most international players grow when they wear their national shirt, England players shrink".

I keep telling myself he nicked that line from someone in the pub....................
  • Options

I think some players are suited more to club football than international. Gerrard is one of those, his play could never adapt to the international game despite England trying to play him in the same role.

Over his best years Gerrard was most effective as a driving force in midfield for Liverpool while others would take care of the defensive work. For England his ability was a lot more limited because he would have to be more disciplined and sit back while Lampard could go forward. If one England manager had the balls to drop Lampard or Gerrard for a committed defensive midfielder (Parker) years ago then, in my opinion, England would have been a more complete side and competitive. But I do agree he is more suited to club football in general.

He is not the first mature International player who has stayed on one tournament too many to know they shouldn't have, but how easy is it for a player (and captain) to step aside when they have had a good previous tournament? Not very easy at all I'd imagine.

Looking at some of these reactions it is like Francis Jeffers has announced his retirement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:

Thoughts?

Should of retired 4 years ago

This.
  • Options
    What is sad is that I seriously doubt there was a better alternative player for most of his career. He had a bad World Cup and he is getting slated. He has won just as many World Cups as Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, added together. I suspect that he could have (at his prime) got into one or two squads that did win an international tournament.

I think it says more about the Premier League, and English football in general, that we had neither enough good players to play with him nor enough good young players coming though to replace him before we was 34.

I can't think of one player that is available for selection now that would have been above a 25 year old Gerrard in the pecking order.
  • Options
    Peoples England world cup frustration is blarring their judgement of gerrard.

I dont think he was as good for england as he could have been, but still a great player and one england will miss...because most of them are much worse then stevie-g.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Complete indifference.

His slouching demeanour during the various National Anthems of his international career exemplified his interest (or rather lack thereof) in the honour of representing his country.

A few crocodile tears after our recent World Cup capitulation as a cynical ploy to try and keep the tabloid pack off his back doesn't "cut it" (to use the modern vernacular) for me I'm afraid.

LenGlover said:

cabbles said:

Good.

Utter garbage.
  • Options
    Gerrard is quality , for England it hasnt quite happened , but who else performs when they put on the shirt ,as captain he carried himself superb doing all the PA shite the FA asked of him , being captain of your country in any sport has got to be the greatest honour u could achieve and so few get to have the honour ,Gerrard is a proud man and i wish him well for the future.
  • Options
    You missed a trick after Englands dismal performance today at Lords- you should have entitled this thread 'England captain quits'
  • Options
    Think we still need him in the squad to be honest.
    Looking down our list of out and out centre mids shows just how far we are behind teams like Germany.

Henderson and Gareth Barry look like the only Englishmen who are guaranteed a game at CM in the top 7/8.
  • Options
    So, the England football captain quit today. Hopefully the cricket captain will follow him (resign as captain that is. He can still do a job as an opener).
  • Options

Looking down our list of out and out centre mids shows just how far we are behind teams like Germany.

Henderson and Gareth Barry look like the only Englishmen who are guaranteed a game at CM in the top 7/8.

Barkley? Wilshere? Gerrard is done. He was to blame for at least one of Uruguay's goals and he's never consistently performed for England.
  • Options

Barkley? Wilshere? Gerrard is done. He was to blame for at least one of Uruguay's goals and he's never consistently performed for England.
    But Wilshere doesn't get in Arsenal's team, he's behind Ramsey, one of Arteta/Flamini who is holding, and Ozil who is attacking.
    And I just don't see Barkley as a replacement for the role that Gerrard was doing. Maybe he will be in the future, but right now he's very much an attacking midfielder who is playing just behind the striker.

Henderson will hopefully improve after being exposed to CL football next year, i'm worried however that he's the only centre mid who will be.