Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

why is my laptop so slow?

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2014
    rikofold said:

For those recommending a new laptop, I'd ask one simple question - why? It's nice to have a shiny new thing, but if the current does all you want it to apart from the speed then why splash out hundreds when you don't need to?

I bought my current laptop several years ago. Admittedly it was a powerful thing back then, cost me around £800. Since then I've had to replace the keyboard and the touchpad for a cost of around £50 - shows how much I've used it - and I had to replace the screen after I stood on it by accident for about £70 I think.

The above all happened within a couple of months, and I was considering a new laptop until someone gave me the SSD tip - it really is like having a brand new laptop. Seriously, the difference is breathtaking. I bought this one, currently going for £85.

If you want to spend a few hundred quid it's up to you, but I reckon an SSD equipped old laptop will be quicker than any with a traditional 5400 or 7200 hard drive.

All very well for you blokes who know a bit, but what about us Philistines?

Anyone recommend somewhere I can get mine MOT'd? South east London!