Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Duchatelet Interview on OS

2»

Comments

• Options

I agree that we are currently weaker and need 4-5 signings before the start of the season.

I have faith not only will we get them, but they will also be good players.

Right now we only have NINE senior pros - so we need at least five new bodies to be able to even have a proper 1st team squad in place.

I remember back in the Premiership days when we had about 28 SENIOR pros in the squad!

4 Johnnie Jackson
    5 Michael Morrison
    8 Reza Ghoochannejhad
    9 Simon Church
    11 Callum Harriott
    13 Dillon Phillips (gk)
    16 Rhoys Wiggins
    20 Chris Solly
    23 Lawrie Wilson
    24 Jordan Cousins
    25 Loïc Négo
    26 Piotr Parzyszek
    30 Nick Pope (gk)
    31 Harry Lennon
    33 Harry Osborne
    35 Joe Pigott
    36 Morgan Fox
    XX Yoni Buyens (on a season-long loan from Standard Liege)
    XX Igor Vetokele

Looks a bit flimsy at the moment, but we still have six weeks to go. I'll try and stop from getting too downhearted!

• Options
    That's what I mean, of the players we have only eight have 30+ games at senior level in England

Jackson, Morrison, Church, Harriott, Wiggins, Solly, Wilson, Cousins.

We then have Reza (about 20 games) and Buyens and Vetokele who are also experienced pros.

Plenty of gaps to fill - but time to do it.
  • Options

That's what I mean, of the players we have only eight have 30+ games at senior level in England

We then have Reza (about 20 games) and Buyens and Vetokele who are also experienced pros.

So when do you reckon we will get relegated? I'll go for with two games left.
  • Options
    The only word I read was the word YOUTH.
  • Options

I agree that we are currently weaker and need 4-5 signings before the start of the season.

I have faith not only will we get them, but they will also be good players.

Right now we only have NINE senior pros - so we need at least five new bodies to be able to even have a proper 1st team squad in place.

I remember back in the Premiership days when we had about 28 SENIOR pros in the squad!

4 Johnnie Jackson
    5 Michael Morrison
    8 Reza Ghoochannejhad
    9 Simon Church
    11 Callum Harriott
    13 Dillon Phillips (gk)
    16 Rhoys Wiggins
    20 Chris Solly
    23 Lawrie Wilson
    24 Jordan Cousins
    25 Loïc Négo
    26 Piotr Parzyszek
    30 Nick Pope (gk)
    31 Harry Lennon
    33 Harry Osborne
    35 Joe Pigott
    36 Morgan Fox
    XX Yoni Buyens (on a season-long loan from Standard Liege)
    XX Igor Vetokele

Looks a bit flimsy at the moment, but we still have six weeks to go. I'll try and stop from getting too downhearted!

You've missed Zac Ansah

• Options

dickplumb said:

Can i ? whoosh. Irony has obviously passed Denmark by.

How do we go about getting a Whooosh button to go with the Like, Lol, etc.?
    Sorry, I thought you were paraphrasing 'Roland out!'
  • Options
    And I quoted the wrong quote!
  • Options
    Buyens and Vetokele are encouraging signings and seem to be of the right quality but for me it's now the next four or five in that will define RD. More of the same and I will believe RD is serious about us getting back up the league. Anything less will mean another struggle. Madness that we are talking about Lennon and Gomez being heavily involved.
  • Options

Very funny.

If we went into the season with the current squad then I would wager on us going down because the squad would be way too thin.

But we have time for new signings - but they have to be good enough and we need five or probably a few more because you cannot do a 50+ game season (at least) with only 14 senior pros.

Injuries and suspensions take their heavy toll over the season and if you end up sticking in young pros like Lennon, Osborne, Pigott and Fox away to the likes of Fulham or Derby then you are going to cop a spanking.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Opinions will differ and we know not the price let alone the calibre of the final signings. August and September will tell us where we are for sure in terms of points and performances.
    Hamer and Dervite are being replaced.
    I'd take Vetokele and Buyens over Poyet and Sordell... To me it feels better knowing that the owner has real money to complete the job.

Based on what exactly?
    Based on the simple fact that they want to pull on the shirt first game vs Brentford. And the coach wants them here and they are rated by fans in their respective countries.
    As others have posted, if we see four more players signed to improve the spine of the squad, good enough for the first 18, then we are looking good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

dickplumb said:

As someone out of touch with social media, what does a Whooosh mean?

• Options
    ross1 said:

thenewbie said:

I think that in the context of what has happened in the last two weeks, with Morro re-signing, and very good reports about Buyens and Vetokele, that is a pretty credible statement. Clearly we need more, but his statement seems to recognise that. He still isn't explaining about Riga, because Riga has a fine reputation for developing the youth too, but we have always wanted a Charlton full of academy stars, and if thats Peeters speciality, lets give it a go.

He is never going to elaborate on Peeters over Riga I think, he's said through KM they looked at options and Peeters was the choice made, and why, and drawn a line under it. While it would be nice to have a point by point breakdown of his thinking he has no obligation to share it with us so the best thing to do is accept it and move on and get behind Bob and the boys.
    I still believe the rumour that RD wanted BP in January, offered him the job, but could not leave his club, so RD told him the job would be his and BP has kept up with the players in first 11 and under 21's since then. Who made the decision to release the players we did, this happened before BP was appointed, how did RD know whether the new manager wanted them? He wanted rid of CP so gave the job to JR till the end of season with no intention of giving him the job for this season, as he had already promised it to BP.
    Err, could you run that past me again please, ross.

• Options
    The moon ehh? Mind you that soup dragon would make a great defender.
    Look the inhabitants can see Big Bob's space ship coming in to land -
  • Options

dickplumb said:

As someone out of touch with social media, what does a Whooosh mean?

whoosh!

correct me if I am wrong as I have only learnt the term from the mob on here

someone makes a statement that is sarcastic or ironic, showing the disagreement with what is the literal meaning. someone fails to spot the irony and criticises them for holding the literal view, when in fact they hold the opposite.

whoosh
  • Options

Scoham said:

Opinions will differ and we know not the price let alone the calibre of the final signings. August and September will tell us where we are for sure in terms of points and performances.
    Hamer and Dervite are being replaced.
    I'd take Vetokele and Buyens over Poyet and Sordell... To me it feels better knowing that the owner has real money to complete the job.

Based on what exactly?
    Based on the simple fact that they want to pull on the shirt first game vs Brentford. And the coach wants them here and they are rated by fans in their respective countries.
    As others have posted, if we see four more players signed to improve the spine of the squad, good enough for the first 18, then we are looking good.
    What exactly are simple facts?
  • Options
    facts which are more than 64.567% probable.

everyone knows that.

its a simple fact that we are too hard on SR. personally, I love the statistical optimism.
  • Options

Very funny.

If we went into the season with the current squad then I would wager on us going down because the squad would be way too thin.

But we have time for new signings - but they have to be good enough and we need five or probably a few more because you cannot do a 50+ game season (at least) with only 14 senior pros.

Injuries and suspensions take their heavy toll over the season and if you end up sticking in young pros like Lennon, Osborne, Pigott and Fox away to the likes of Fulham or Derby then you are going to cop a spanking.
    So you agree with me then?
  • Options
    There is the potential for the gaps to be filled with quality players or not get filled at all. You can't tell with this owner! The next few weeks should be interesting/ or not!
  • Options

There is the potential for the gaps to be filled with quality players or not get filled at all. You can't tell with this owner! The next few weeks should be interesting/ or not!

I think it's certain that the squad building is not complete. We have one centre back and two untried or tested kids. One untried GK. Without looking at other positions it's certain we'll sign a GK and at least one, probably two centre backs.