Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Updated Squad List - 26th June

13»

Comments

• seriously_Red
    Sure CAFC were a model club in the 90s in terms of attendance growth and the academy generating talent, some of which was sold to fund expansion. But the the club threw all all of this prudent management out of the window post Curbishley in an attempt to retain and then regain premier league status.

Really how did we get promotion from League One then. Where do you get the impression that Duchet "direction of travel feels right" getting rid of Powell then Riga. Is this improving our club not for me. What is the point of supporters investing in the valley gold at the moment when young players are sold on, or in Poyet's case let go with no income. Yes he may be bringing in players how they will or whether they are better will be shown on the pitch this season I guess. I must say the players that he has brought over last season that he insisted play have not impressed me and were not rated by Riga or Powell. So the jury is out for me at the moment, new pitch fair enough, tidy up the ground ( i believe the supporters played a part in that ), don't know much about the catering but tendering it out is not complicated how that is an upward step not sure (people made redundant). Personally I think RD is thinking of cafc as a short term investment and when he's ready he will get rid.
  • Two years of parachute money plus sale proceeds Darren Bent all spent on trying to buy a return to the premier league with no plan B and the near destruction of CAFC. We know all that.
    TJ/MS did not have the money to top up the squad but there was one other resource missing - time! Losing less money buys time...academy players getting older and better takes time...rebuilding a rapport with fans and positive messaging takes time.

Going back to the subject of the thread Duchatelet has flicked the whole CAFC squad equation around thanks to the his decisions and the CAFC he bought. Instead of a team of journeymen with academy players coming through we now have an academy team supported by a handful of loans and acquisitions - "made in Charlton" as José Riga said. Big difference to the cost base and future transfers in and out. And if the core squad becomes good enough then not too expensive to push for the top six?!

Proceeds from Darren Bent had already been spent in 2006/07, as I recall. Murray's gamble was to try to lock in the 2007/08 increase in the Sky money by increasing resources in 2006 on the assumption we could sell Bent if we got relegated in order to balance the books. Unfortunately, the shareholding directors all fell out when we did and the club was hobbled by the incumbency of Pardew/Waggott, but that's another story.

Since it's obvious to anyone with half a brain the current squad is not sufficient to play a 46 game Championship season we perhaps ought to suspend judgement until we see who comes in and how they do. I am happy to do that.

• Agreed! Let's see who joins us us in July for 2014/15. The squad is thin right now but I don't want second rate squad fillers for the sake of numbers. I would also suggest we need a squad to get us to end December...23 league games and the League cup... Everything changes in January especially if FFP has teeth.
  • That'll be one league cup game then...shouldn't be too taxing
  • @cafcnutter‌ love the user name! Riga was brought in as a short term stop gap because the wheels were falling off under Powell! I know nothing of pressures behind the scenes but we simply weren't winning enough games.

Looks like Poyet is the one who got away - there's a whole thread devoted to this and I've no idea what was or wasn't offered this time last year. Fortunately every other young talent is signed up long term.

What I mean by direction of travel is that we are financially secure as a club, we are letting players go who would struggle to help next season... And we are signing high value replacements. If they suddenly stop and sign a few cheap players then the direction changes - we stay bottom six! But if they continue finding players who add to the squad then all our fans in our nice new shiny seats are set for a treat!
    Two paths - I wonder which one they will choose?
  • Bob Peeters now saying academy graduates will be offered an opportunity to impress before he dips in the transfer market,are these his words or our owners?
  • Where has he said that?
  • From Sky Sports

19:44
    New Charlton Athletic boss Bob Peeters says academy graduates will be offered an opportunity to impress before he dips into the transfer market.
  • Cheers.

Well that can be read a number of ways.

A. He's giving kids a chance ahead of overpaid, over the hill players only here for a last pay day.

B. We're struggling to get any experienced players in so it's the kids or nothing

C. We are going to sign some old pros but BP is going to talk up the kids in the meantime
  • Based on an old quote isn't it? He actually talked about looking to see if we had young players that could step before buying players. Not that he won't make any/many signings and all the youngsters will get a chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2014
    Seriously deluded, can you please list for me all these high value replacements, that you say we have ?
    I'll give you Vetokele, who else ?
  • edited July 2014

@cafcnutter‌ love the user name! Riga was brought in as a short term stop gap because the wheels were falling off under Powell! I know nothing of pressures behind the scenes but we simply weren't winning enough games.

Looks like Poyet is the one who got away - there's a whole thread devoted to this and I've no idea what was or wasn't offered this time last year. Fortunately every other young talent is signed up long term.

What I mean by direction of travel is that we are financially secure as a club, we are letting players go who would struggle to help next season... And we are signing high value replacements. If they suddenly stop and sign a few cheap players then the direction changes - we stay bottom six! But if they continue finding players who add to the squad then all our fans in our nice new shiny seats are set for a treat!
    Two paths - I wonder which one they will choose?

Great news, when and how long did Joe Gomez, Oli Muldoon and Harry Osborn sign up for, hadn't seen it reported.
  • Perhaps Valley Gold should now carry a "wealth warning" -

"Your money is utilised to provide players for the first team. Please note that those first team appearances will be limited to the sale value of that player i.e. the better the player and the more money that sale might generate and the more chance that that player will be sold sooner rather than later. Equally, if we are unable to tie that player into a 10 year contract, no criticism should be directed at current or previous Boards of the Club.

In contributing to Valley Gold, we also ask you not to form any emotional attachment to that player. In addition, we request that you sign an undertaking that, once that player leaves the Club, you do not start any threads on any football related forums praising that individual's success on the playing field as this might cause distress to other posters.

Finally we should advise you that the chances of you actually winning anything are less than winning the lottery. Paying into Valley Gold should be seen as an exercise to fund the future of the Club and the success on the pitch of Standard Liege."