Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Diego's Fee

2»

Comments

• Options

Found this video of Poyets agent talking to RD.....................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Great comedy actor, Gene Wilder.
  • Options
    The fee could be almost anything, certainly £400k isn't the top limit by any means, but I would suggest it's most likely to be negotiated than go to a tribunal. We're talking about a professional here, not a youth player.

In 2010 a tribunal set the fee for Daniel Sturridge, who was 20 when he moved from City to Chelsea, at £3.5m plus a whole load of additionals (appearances, internationals etc).

We won't get that, not least because the base formula used includes last season's salary - but there is more flexibility in English transfer tribunals than in FIFA or UEFA's systems and given that he was a first team regular, has a hatful of youth international caps and was offered a much larger long-term contract, I think a tribunal would set a decent enough fee and probably with sell-on clauses.

But that's probably also why we might want to hope for a decent Premiership club who are prepared to negotiate something decent up front but with additional fees linked to realising his potential, and avoid the relative lottery of the tribunal.
  • Options
    £1.57 and a Werther's original that is slightly sticky and has some fluff on it from down the side of the sofa.
  • Options
    It's so wrong we get nothing after bringing him though the Academy. Unfair on clubs like us who depend on our youth to then get nothing back in £££s.
  • Options
    at the end of the day we are Charlton athletic,a selling club for the big fish in the prem league,we are and always will be
  • Options
    Where's the idea that Jenkinson signed a contract with us before getting his move come from? He only got a 1 year deal when he turned pro.

He might have said to Arsenal he wanted us to get a decent fee, but he never signed a new contract after playing for the first team.
  • Options
    To me this is selling out. I know ther'se feck all we can do about it, but it makes my blood boil. If RD has any business sense, he'll NEVER allow this bull to happen at our club again whilst he's in charge at least anyway. It leaves a very bad taste in the mouth and if he stays in England and we ever play against him, he'll not be getting an applause from me.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Where's the idea that Jenkinson signed a contract with us before getting his move come from? He only got a 1 year deal when he turned pro.

He might have said to Arsenal he wanted us to get a decent fee, but he never signed a new contract after playing for the first team.

Correct, that is my understanding.

• Options
    doronron said:

at the end of the day we are Charlton athletic,a selling club for the big fish in the prem league,we are and always will be

....you mean we are, and have almost always been, like some kind of er... feeder club?
    Agh!

• Options
    Scoham said:

Cheers, saved me writing it, I believe Wenger put a bid in of 1M+ to avoid it going to a tribunal where we would have got less.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Money isn't everything. We got large sums for Bent and Parker but that did little long term good.

As for 'selling clubs' that applies to nearly all clubs. Big fish eat the little fish. There's always a bigger fish until you get to the very top. Southampton stormed the Prem last season. But by August they'll have lost half the team that did it. For 3-4 years they weren't forced to sell anyone.

But all clubs are selling clubs eventually.
  • Options
    Diego is of course exercising his right to leave on a free , but It does seem like Poyet has stuck 2 fingers up at our academy, the club that gave him a chance, what message does it send out to other kids at the club?
  • Options

Diego is of course exercising his right to leave on a free , but It does seem like Poyet has stuck 2 fingers up at our academy, the club that gave him a chance, what message does it send out to other kids at the club?

The message it sends out is join Charltons academy then earn big money elsewhere,its easy.
  • Options
    There's a few ifs and buts here, and I'm still unsure about what the future's going to bring.
    If the Duchatelet system is worked right and we end up as equal partners in the network (a word I hate) not a pyramid, Diego Poyet will realise his mistake in the long run. He'd get a chance to play with reasonably good players from across Europe, and learn different styles and techniques and then when he goes on to play for England if he does, he'd be a far better international player. Instead, more because he seems over-confident than greedy, he could be headed towards a few seasons of watching really great players on the bench and learning nothing more than the rest of us on sky sports TV. His choice, but he believes in himself so good luck to him.
    Just hope a few years from now, we read an interview with him where he realises he jumped ship in haste but everything worked out well in the end for both him and Charlton.
  • Options

Scoham said:

Cheers, saved me writing it, I believe Wenger put a bid in of 1M+ to avoid it going to a tribunal where we would have got less.
    Or where we might have got more. This is why clubs negotiate, because there's the win-win and no risk.

Anyone who thinks Arsenal negotiated a fee in order that they could pay us more is living on another planet.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

he told arsenal that if they wanted him they'd have to agree a fee with us or he'd sign a new contract. Ballsy but arsenal saw why, and lets be honest, a million or so is peanuts for them.
  • Options
    Since Parker and Konch what have we made from the academy in cash sales?

Palmer. £300k. Chelsea. 0
    Jenks. £1M. Arsenal. 8 games
    Shelvey. £1.7M? Liverpool. 42 games
    Poyet. £tbc. Tbc. 20 games
    Ajayi. £0. Arsenal. 0 games
    Herbert. £300K? Arsenal. 0 games
    McGinty. £500K. Man Utd. 0 games
    Colkett. £0. Chelsea. 0 games
    Tom A?. £0. Stoke. 0 games
    Defoe. £3M? West Ham. 0 games
    Lloyd Samuel. £? Villa. 0 games

Probably others, just concentrated on those who have ended up at PL clubs that I could remember.

Given the above is 11 players a total inward amount of cash of maybe £7M is less than £1M each (Poyet yet tbc). In addition they have made a grand total of 70 games between them, and only 3 have actually played for us at all. Palace got more for Mosses and for Zaha. How do we get our best young guys to hang around a little longer?

• Options
    doronron said:

Like another 85 or 86 clubs in the league.
  • Options

Loyalty has got to be a two way thing. If a club receives an offer for a player, the club tells them to f*** off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chris Powell told TalkSport a couple of month's ago that we actually got £1.5 million for Jenkinson (of which he spent just under £1 million on new players). I guess that we got some decent add-ons for appearances and for Carl's first England cap in November 2012.

My recollection is that we eventually got about £1.4 million for Defoe, following West Ham's illegal poaching.

I think that we only got £50,000 for JLloyd-Samuel, which understandably infuriated the club. That was another contested poaching case. At the tribunal set up by the F.A., Villa's then manager, John Gregory, contended that, although he'd signed Samuel, he did not expect him to play for the first team. What a twat. On the issue of compensation, 'Deadly' Doug Ellis had the temerity to argue that Villa should only make a pro-rata contribution for the player - eg. that if Charlon's youth set up cost, say, £1 million and had 100 players across age groups, the fee should be £10,000.

Interestingly, when Jonjo Shelvey went to Swansea, we got an additional fee as the development club (over and above that due under the sell-on clause) because he went to a team under the jurisdiction of the Welsh Football Association.

In terms of Diego Poyet, if he does go to the Premier League, we (and he) will do better if he goes to somewhere like Everton, rather than Chelsea, because the percentage profit on any future sale is likely to be very substantial. I see, for example, that Bournemouth, who lost Adam Lallana to Southampton as a 12 year old, stand to collect over £6 million from his sale to Liverpool - a most acceptable windfall, given that their initial compensation was £2,000 plus a £1,000 finder's fee -
    http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/11306983.AFC_Bournemouth__Lallana_windfall_will_boost_Cherries__chances_of_meeting_financial_fair_play_criteria/

Poyet will get game time at somewhere like Everton (under a manager who promotes youth and a passing game) and I reckon that we'd collect a decent wedge down the line when he is eventually sold on to a bigger club, whether in England or Europe. In contrast, if he ends up at Chelsea, he'll just be shoved out on loan to Vitesse Arnheim or elsewhere and his career may stagnate. If and when he does get in their side, he may end up staying there for a very long time.
  • Options
    Think this a load of bull but I have just got back from a coaching course and another coach has heard that Poyet may be signing a 5 year contract at Crystal Palace,would that be a good for us if we were to get more money when he is sold on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Tell that coach you heard it from to lay off the joints he smokes.
  • Options

Think this a load of bull but I have just got back from a coaching course and another coach has heard that Poyet may be signing a 5 year contract at Crystal Palace,would that be a good for us if we were to get more money when he is sold on

He saw the fake guardian post on Facebook then lol!
  • Options

How do we get our best young guys to hang around a little longer?

Maybe play them sooner ?? Poyet was 19 when he made his debut for us whereas Bowyer & Konch were only 16, so we got to see a couple of seasons before they left.

just a thought.
  • Options

How do we get our best young guys to hang around a little longer?

Maybe play them sooner ?? Poyet was 19 when he made his debut for us whereas Bowyer & Konch were only 16, so we got to see a couple of seasons before they left.

just a thought.
    yes, blood them sooner for definite has to be the way, my word, even prem teams seem to act before us in this regard - and get a much more savvy negotiator on board too.
  • Options
    Or actually have them on a contract?
  • Options

Found this video of Poyets agent talking to RD.....................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ

Then I watched the 100 greatest movie insults, which is what someone needs to say to Poyet's agent.