Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bike

I am a little bit overweight
so am trying to think of ways of losing some and have decided I will buy a bike, everywhere I look they are really expensive even on Ebay,
I dont want a top of the range bike just something to get me from A to B

Does anyone on here have a bike they never use(That does work) that they want to sell if so how much

Comments

• Options
    Halfords have an alright selection if you're looking for something that isn't too expensive.

There is also a shop near Sidcup station that sells second hand bikes at reasonable prices.
  • Options

Halfords have an alright selection if you're looking for something that isn't too expensive.

There is also a shop near Sidcup station that sells second hand bikes at reasonable prices.

Sidcup Cycles.

Most of their second hand stuff is still pricey. My old Cube Peloton Pro was up for nearly £600.00. Buggers only gave me £450.00 on a part-ex.

Harry Perry in Woolwich usually has a selection of second hand bikes dirt cheap.

• Options
    Look on gumtree/ebay.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Decathlon in Surrey Docks. They have a great range of cheap as chips bikes that will get you from a to b. Get a cheap hybrid from their in-house range (btwin)

If you're only a few pounds overweight, then a bike is definitely a good choice. If you're more than a couple of stone overweight, running would be better
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I predict you won't lose much weight using any bike to go from A to B, you need to be doing hills, sprints and long distances to get impact from a bike. I have found my (heavier commuting) hybrid useful to push my weight down but thats only when I wanted to reduce when the gym twice a week and a lower carbs diet aren't quite enough to reduce the lbs on the scale - but that was pushing it hard and doing 20 miles a day including Shooters Hill twice. When using my road bike to commute I found after a while it made no impact, it's so light and I was coasting a lot of the time and avoiding hills.
  • Options

Decathlon in Surrey Docks. They have a great range of cheap as chips bikes that will get you from a to b. Get a cheap hybrid from their in-house range (btwin)

If you're only a few pounds overweight, then a bike is definitely a good choice. If you're more than a couple of stone overweight, running would be better

This. For time spent, you're going to lose a lot more weight running than biking.
  • Options
    Cutting down your calorie intake is more important than doing some more exercise. Cutting down your calorie intake and doing some more exercise will obviously be better than either.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Cutting down your calorie intake is more important than doing some more exercise. Cutting down your calorie intake and doing some more exercise will obviously be better than either.

This. My wife has been on a weight loss plan since taking up a bet in January to lose '6 kg' in 4 months (original weight 62kg). She started off going to gym three times a week for 3-4 months and dropping to 1500 calories a day but only lost 3kg. When she went to the gym this bought her a few hundred extra calories a day. For the last two months she's nearly cut out the gym, but dropped calories to 1200 and the extra 3 kgs has come off.

So the point i'm making as AA points out is calories is the key. Incidentally she has used the calorie counter app on iphone and this logs everything that she eats and drinks. It may sound harsh counting a coffe at 30 calories or a slice of bread at 80 calories etc but if you know exactly what you've had (no cheating) you will lose weight.

A mate is a pilot for Easyjet. He took up cycling to work from Sheffield to Manchester airport. Over 6 months he has lost about 4-5 stones and looks as fit as a butchers dog, but he is doing 3-4 50+ mile rides a week over the snake pass!
  • Options
    I've got a mountain bike for sale. Cost 500 quid will take 100 quid. Good condition. Bought from decathlon.
  • Options
    You will actually lose more weight doing a routine ( get an app) on an exercise bike and it's far less dangerous.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You will actually lose more weight doing a routine ( get an app) on an exercise bike and it's far less dangerous.

Will you bollocks.
  • Options

Will you bollocks.
    I'll give him the "far less dangerous bit". I had a near death experience twice and my daughter ended up in A&E with 6 stitches due to cycling!
  • Options
    Yeah - that's certainly true. The only danger you get from an exercise bike is dying of boredom
  • Options

Yeah - that's certainly true. The only danger you get from an exercise bike is dying of boredom

Put it in front of the tele when Jeremy Kyle is on.
    All the incentive you'll need.
  • Options

You haven't see the women at my gym ! Certainly a better view than the rolling hills of Bedfordshire!
  • Options

Will you bollocks.
    You can lose those if you are watching redtube whilst doing it.
  • Options
    I've commuted for 20 years pretty much and only 2 knocks, one slight shoulder injury was only issue from that.
  • Options
    I would love to cycle to work and I would every single day if only bikes were allowed on the roads.
  • Options
    If only bikes weren't allowed on the roads!
  • Options

If only bikes weren't allowed on the roads!

As both a driver and a cyclist, may I be the first to say:
    Yawn