Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next England captain?

In the very likely event that Gerrard calls it a day after Tuesday (or even before) who do you think is the best replacement with an eye on France 2016?

Rooney is being talked up in the media as the best candidate and I can see some merit in this but his form at international level is already patchy and I would prefer him to focus on that. After that there's not a obvious candidate. Cahill is likely to maintain his place for the foreseeable future but even though I don't normally like goalkeepers as the skipper I would give it to Hart as he seems the most natural leader in the squad at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    I agree, Hart is very passionate and don't mind screaming at the so called prima donnas, give it to him as he will probably be the most consistent and play in nearly if not all of our games
  • Options
    Not Hart, but no idea who.
  • Options
    Very impressed with how hart handles himself. I remember in the euros the england team facebook had a video of the younger lads playing table tennis with hart, oxlade chamberlain got a bit overexcited and Hart just quietly got him to calm down and be sensible. So deffo Hart for me, Rooney no way.
  • Options
    I do not think there are any natural leaders in the squad at present which is a problem.

Rooney will get it by default given that he is the most experienced player at international level but he is definitely not captain material. Would also make him pretty much undroppable and given his very patchy form in an England shirt that would not be the ideal situation.

I would go with Hart as well given the lack of other candidates.
  • Options
    Not Rooney, would make him even more undroppable than he already is.
  • Options
    It has to be someone whose place in the first XI is pretty much guaranteed. The criticism of Rooney has been over the top and there have been at least four players worse than him out there. It's between Hart and Rooney but is Hart undroppable? I think Forster will push him hard over the next few years and he is just as good as Hart.

Does it really matter? We are the only national team that attaches any grest importance to this. Italy and Spain just pass it on to the player with the most caps. It's meaningless really. The captain in football doesn't mean anything like it does in cricket for example.
  • Options
    Joe Hart hands down. Sensible, established number one and the closest England have to a player with a winning mentality.
  • Options
    Rooney in the press conference the other day was an embarrassment. You can literally see him struggling to manage talking and breathing at the same time. Captain? Don't make me laugh.
  • Options
    Cahill, Hart and Rooney are really the only choices at the moment.

They'll probably give it to Rooney. The worst choice of the 3.
  • Options
    Not Hart or Cahill
    if Rooney then I would just scream

IMO there is no-one really worthy of it, but would give it to Jags
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    None of the current crop. Have a clear out of the old pros and then pick a captain for the future. It's a ceremonial job anyway so at least pick someone who can talk in public properly
  • Options
    Give it to one of the younger players, so not Rooney, Hart or Cahill.

Let's create a true captain for the next four tournaments.
  • Options
    Rooney as captain would be a 'courageous' decision from the FA. I'd put a fair amount on him losing the armband to a red top sunday exclusive within a year of getting the job.
  • Options
    Baines
  • Options

Blimey, Hart is only 27 and should be coming into his prime as a keeper. Butland may be pushing him in a year or two but Hart should still be around for the next two tournaments.
  • Options

Blimey, Hart is only 27 and should be coming into his prime as a keeper. Butland may be pushing him in a year or two but Hart should still be around for the next two tournaments.
    Im just not convinced he is level headed enough to be a good captain for us.

I would much rather give it to a younger player that England choose to build a team around, not that we will put that much long term planning in anyway, so it is a moot point, so might as well give it to Rooney for the Euros then Hart for the World Cup after.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Rooney in the press conference the other day was an embarrassment. You can literally see him struggling to manage talking and breathing at the same time. Captain? Don't make me laugh.

Thought the same, if you didn't know he was English you would think he was speaking in a second language, the way he had to pause to think about how to say pretty straight forward sentances for a natural English speaker
  • Options
    Looking down the main page for a thread to read, I noticed this one, "Next England captain?"...........and the one directly underneath was called "Who cares?". Summed it up for me............
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Cahill doesn't strike me as a leader. So much so that I really do think he works better if he's got someone playing next to him telling him what to do (Not Terry.Well not for England anyway). Jagielka is very similar in that respect.
  • Options
    Jagielka shouldn't even be in the team let alone captain.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quite demanding if you ask me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCFHnX3_6RQ
  • Options
    Is Hart head'n'shoulders above Rooney?
  • Options
    Like it or not folks it will be Rooney, you heard it here first (I am Roy in disguise, I called all the subs right in the Uraguay match the other night, remember?) :-0
  • Options
    Rooney as captain will be a disaster, as that is just what he needs, more pressure on him in an England shirt.
  • Options
    The position causes more problems than it solves. I'd pick my captain on a game by game basis and a tournament by tournament basis when applicable - and tell all of the senior players that they are my captains.
  • Options
    It's just so irrelevant. An armband is meaningless. They can and should all be leaders.
  • Options
    morrison