Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Not the Manager this time please.

Out of a tournament early again, the FA will no doubt start looking for the next manager. In my opinion they should be recognising that what they should be looking at is the quality of the players, and specifically how we can raise that quality right from when our kids start to kick a ball. Roy Hodgson is highly experienced, very honest, and has given us at least the best looking attack for many years. An incisive look at the relationship between the number of foreign players playing in our top league, and our poor performance in competitions should be a must. I am grateful that supporting Charlton over 60 years has made me immune to disappointment, thank goodness for 1966, even if it was in black and white.

Comments

• Options
    100% agree, except that I am not immune. I am gutted, and also furious.
  • Options
    I know your right , the English players know your right the fans know you are right but the Premier League and the FA will never agree reduce the amount of foreigners in the league .
    These foreign stars are their bread and butter.
    It's sad but we have to get used to it.
  • Options
    I agree Hodgson has given us the best looking attack in years but there was some important decisions he shied away from Terry ,Cole, Dropping Rooney yes Maybe even Gerard ( as the youngsters looked hungrier ) Ramsey made big decisions like dropping greaves in 66 and look where that landed us ! at the end of the day we knew that suarez was the threat so instead of putting two men on him we decided to zonal mark confused and not immune just gutted.
  • Options
    Roy was dealt a poor hand and perhaps apart from showing a little too much loyalty played it reasonably well.

I don't have any issue with Roy but perhaps keeping him on will mean the root and branch changes needed will be more likely not to happen. I would tell Roy he has the reigns until after the euros when by then a young coach can be appointed that can bring fresh ideas and no baggage to the table. If this appointment means someone from overseas then so be it.

I do not have confidence that the changes required from bottom to top in English coaching will take place however so I am sure that we as a national team will continue to embarrass.

• Options
    We will never progress as long as we allow the influx of foreign players to continue

The English game is the Gravy train ...surprised the FA have not asked Bisto to sponsor it ....

As Bedsaddick said " sad but we have to get use to it ...and as a country win shag all

• Options
    Getting rid of Roy is certainly not the answer... He's finally getting England to play the right way and to sack him would throw all that hard work out the window as whoever replaces him is gonna have their own style of play and the vicious cycle of getting the players to adapt to that will begin all over again.

Maybe if we struggle (i.e. fail) to Qualify for Euro 2016 or the next World Cup under Hodgson he should then go (as England should be making the major competitions) but at the moment would be complete idiocy to even think of the idea
  • Options
    Greaves was not dropped in '66; he was injured in the last group stage match, missed the quarter final, and did not get selected (ahead of Hurst, who scored in the quarter final) for the semi or final.
  • Options
    4 bowman said:

I agree Hodgson has given us the best looking attack in years but there was some important decisions he shied away from Terry ,Cole, Dropping Rooney yes Maybe even Gerard ( as the youngsters looked hungrier ) Ramsey made big decisions like dropping greaves in 66 and look where that landed us ! at the end of the day we knew that suarez was the threat so instead of putting two men on him we decided to zonal mark confused and not immune just gutted.

I don't think he shied away from those at all - if anything, quite the opposite. Not taking Ashley Cole was a strong statement of intent to look forward. Rooney was our best player last night, and we have an exciting blend of youth and experience particularly coming forward. We're short at the back - personally I don't think any of the back 5 are good enough, with the possible exception of Cahill. If we didn't keep conceding avoidable goals there would be less pressure on and more space for our brilliant attacking players. Terry wasn't available for selection, so no decision to make there anyway.

Hodgson has surprised me with the way he's set up his team. In my view it's given us the best chance of getting results against some tough sides, and it's much better to watch than England in just about any tournament since Glenn Hoddle's team. He's set his face towards the future and we'll be much better off for it. Let's be honest, we didn't expect to do well at this World Cup, but the experience could make a world of difference to those players for the Euros in two years' time. A good base for pushing on, I think.

Like Roy I'm bitterly disappointed - but heartened by the way in which we've been playing. 63% possession last night - that's one hell of a move forward from where we were 4 years ago. We're missing a world class player of the likes of Suarez, but I think Barkley, Sterling and Sturridge all have the potential to be the sorts of players who can magic something when it's needed. If Rooney was anywhere near his best, he'd have had 5 goals in this tournament already.
  • Options

I know your right , the English players know your right the fans know you are right but the Premier League and the FA will never agree reduce the amount of foreigners in the league .

Bu the foreign players per se are not even the problem. There are loads of foreign players in the Bundesliga.

The point is what happens to the TV money, does it develop our youngsters or just get pissed away, and whether the national team has sufficient priority in preparation for tournaments.
  • Options

Bu the foreign players per se are not even the problem. There are loads of foreign players in the Bundesliga.

The point is what happens to the TV money, does it develop our youngsters or just get pissed away, and whether the national team has sufficient priority in preparation for tournaments.
    Yes and no.

There, that was quick wasn't it? And that's about as much time as the Premier League Chairmen will spend thinking about it too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last world cup we were woeful and scraped through a group containing USA, Algeria and Slovenia, before being humiliated by the first decent side we faced. This time round, with a less experienced and less talented squad we've given two very good sides a game and can count ourselves unlucky. Some progress has been made.

Let's not become the Spurs of international football and start from scratch after every setback.
  • Options
    I like him but thought he left subs far too late last night. Llana and Barkley not given nearly enough chance and Lambert given 10mins.
  • Options
    Game of opinnions. Should go in my opinnion. After a good performance against Italy, he tinkered to accomodate Rooney. We just didn't appear to have a game plan. As I saw it, shape/balance of the team was totally wrong. Back four too deep. Baines too slow. Not enough in the engine room (midfield). Not surprising as he effectively played four forwards. (Sturridge, Rooney, Wellbeck, Stirling). Uraguay were always gonna get stuck in. Something is wrong when best player in first game (Sterling) was one of the worst in this one. Should have done better with resources available, and totally blows the theory that Hodgson is an adept tactician. On the right lines of bringing youth in, but bottled it when it really mattered. Bye
  • Options
    I think they need to do both. Get rid of the Hodgson and sort football in this country out. Won't happen though. I like Roy but when it really mattered he was no different to Sven or McClaren and bottled it and wouldn't drop Gerrard when there's at least two better central midfielders sitting on the bench.
  • Options
    We were drawn in a tough group this year but we didn't do ourselves any favours. We ran out of ideas in the final third and the central midfield has been a disaster. Gerrard only works as a 'holding' midfielder is there's two willing runners to shield him and allow him to pass it about. Playing him in a midfield two is just asking to be overrun and Henderson was given hell by the narrow Uruguay diamond while Cavani sat in Gerrard's space and put him off. It's not Hodgson's fault that we lack a proper holding midfielder - I think the closest one to the England squad is Fabian Delph - but I can't believe Roy didn't tailor his line-up to suit the players better. I suppose that would have meant dropping one of Gerrard or Rooney though and that's never going to happen
  • Options
    GarryManilow, spot on. Lets not mince words here, Hodgson fits the bill, purely in terms of Blazer and school tie. Yet another Yes man appointed by the wanky cronies at the F.A. Ask the Liverpool fans what a great tactician Roy was?
  • Options
    Melrose said:

Ask the Liverpool Swedish or Italian fans what a great tactician Roy was?

• Options

Melrose said:

Was, being the operative word. You could tell after the first 15 mins of the Uraguay match that things weren't right. Most of us didn't want Hodgson in the first place (probably why the FA chose him).
  • Options
    Melrose said:

Melrose said:

Was, being the operative word. You could tell after the first 15 mins of the Uraguay match that things weren't right. Most of us didn't want Hodgson in the first place (probably why the FA chose him).

Go on I'll bite, why didn't you want Hodgson and who did you want?

And what were you expecting from this hidden magician?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Don't understand how people thinking changing the manager will make us any better........... if the players aren't good enough, they aren't good enough. Sometimes we'll get lucky and beat those teams around us. Invariably though, with the players we have available, slim defeats to Italy and Uruguay are in fact quite likely. Simple as that IMO.

Some of you lots seem to think Hodgson should be our new CB.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It doesn't matter who the England manager is.

There are a few honourable exceptions but English players do not seem to take pride in playing for their country in the way that players from other countries do and thus lack motivation in comparison.

In my opinion England teams will continue to fail until there is a genuine pride in being selected to wear that white (unless it's red) shirt once more.

• Options
    Bollox is it not the managers fault.
    He's had 2 years to work with them. OK The Ox and Walcott injuries haven't helped. But we had a better squad than many.
    But we have looked like a team that hasn't played together.
    Don't remember a more disorganized defense.
    I struggle to comprehend what they do in training.
    And as I have already said, Roy's tactics show someone who is totally clueless. Giving Pirlo the whole pitch to play on was beyond a school boy error.
  • Options
    I agree and disagree Len

I genuinely don't think a lack of pride is the problem, in fact guts has kept us ticking for the best part. A dearth of talent and inability to adapt has been our boggle at international level for a while
  • Options
    Not sure who I'd have wanted as manager. Don't expect a magician, but do expect somebody who can set up right for each match with regards to opposition/situation we are in.

Football is a game of fine margins. I don't fully accept that our players are not good enough. We are not world beaters. but I honestly believe that with a better manager/tactician, we could have progressed further. We weren't too far away this time. It was bloody obvious the Uragyuans were going to chase everything and get stuck in. We were simply out thouht and out muscled in this game. I would love to know in retrospect what Roy's game plan was in this game. We played well in the first game. He had to address the Rooney/left side problem. He did, but he got it wrong. He made the wrong decision. Players who had played well in the first game had to adapt to accomodate Rooney. They then seemed to not know whay they were doing. Also it was a totally different game. This is where Hodgson failed. A good manager can get great results from "not so great players" Think of Eire in previous world cups, and Wimbledon in domestic football.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Bobby Robson through the eighties was vilified by fans and media alike and failed to take us to at least one major finals. But took us to a world cup semi final. By that point though he had enough of the fans and media over hid perceived failures that he left after 1990 and we got G Taylor and Robbo went on to further great achievements in the club game; what happened to the England side he left....we have had a few games since but nothing like a run
  • Options
    I really like Roy and don't wish him to be sacked but i do feel a little let down that it feels in the end, he was too wary of giving the new young/fresh players the chance to break out of the cycle of failure.

I would like to have seen a lot more of Lallana, Barkley & Shaw for starters.

Lambert is another, this will be his only tournament yet he never really got the chance to make an impact despite his excellent finish against Ecuador.

Just feels like another wasted World Cup, where we have left with nothing, not even experience for players likely to be the heart of the England team in 2 & 4 years time.
  • Options
    I see what you are saying but you've not answered what I was asking

Who do you reckon has that tactical nous? For me you want Jose Mourinho who would do exactly what Sven did. Win games ugly and make us tough to play against. I never had much of a problem with that but he had players who could make things happen. Prime Paul Scholes, young, hungry aggressive Wayne Rooney, the best finisher england have ever had in Owen, the best ball player in Beckham, three if not four of the best centre halves in Europe at the time. Terry, ferdinand, Campbell, king and Southgate to begin with. And an unappreciated Hargreaves. The press still bullied him into playing both Gerrard and lampard out of position and shoved Scholes out.

And we won ugly and closed winnable games out but didn't play with any degree of imagination at all.

Now we're having a go with a young midfield and crap defence and shocker we got shown up
  • Options
    Carter. Through Stella and Red wine, I would say Venables and Hoddle. If you're looking for a man motivator, then I would say Harry Rednapp. With regards to the way we win or style, don't care really. You can only worry about that when you're good enough to win a bloody match. Interesting debate..........my hangover awaits!
  • Options
    Haha fair one mate

For what it's worth I thought Hoddle almost cracked it but then said some very stupid things im the papers which fucked him and probably he national team. He inherited a fantastic squad from very tenderballs who did everything right amd rebuilt us.

Harry ain't that man though, as cliched as it sounds he ain't got a transfer budget at that level and I really doubt his tactical acumen is on the same level as Roy's

Let the hangovers commence!