Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tough Situation

I have a bit of a problem.

I have always wanted to get into coaching kids football and have been given a great chance to work with a mate of mine with his group of under 10's. He has done a briliant job with them and got them promoted into a decent league where they need to start learning offsides, 9 a side and play on bigger pitches etc. So really looking forward to learning about it all.

Sounds great, where is the catch?

It's for Crystal Palace....

Anyone have any advice for how not to feel physically sick putting on some Crystal Palace gear? I'll be wearing a Charlton shirt underneath obviously but it's tough. Not to mention there are lads who I play football with round the area where the training is who know I'm Charlton....the stick is going to be like nothing else.

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Comments

• Options
    I was offered a trial by Millwall after being released by Charlton. I didn't go.

To be honest though - they do have a good academey setup and it would look good on your CV if this is something you want to be more involved with.
  • Options
    No seriously, their kids so enjoy. If you find a good'un poach him for us. ;-)
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I was offered a trial by Millwall after being released by Charlton. I didn't go.

To be honest though - they do have a good academey setup and it would look good on your CV if this is something you want to be more involved with.

That's what the head says...but the heart...

My mate is a scouser so although he feels dirty putting on the clobber, he isn't as affected. Palace are paying for him to do his badges aswell.
  • Options
    Agreed. Enjoy it. Just make sure any future stars are nobbled or come to us.
  • Options

No seriously, their kids so enjoy. If you find a good'un poach him for us. ;-)

I was thinking that funny enough.

The main guy doesn't know i'm Charlton so all is well at the moment...
  • Options
    Jump in with both feet. Good luck.
  • Options
    Blimey, if that is what you think is a tough decision then you are gliding through life pal.

Enjoy, learn, put your all into it, and see where it takes you. Hopefully it could be a stepping stone to something better.

Good luck
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My mate is Bolton through and through - but as an ex-pro with 300 odd games under his belt for half a dozen different clubs, he is resigned to putting on a Man Utd kit and earning a crust at their Soccer School in India. Gotta be done... As others say, any good 'uns, point them in the right direction.
  • Options

Blimey, if that is what you think is a tough decision then you are gliding through life pal.

Enjoy, learn, put your all into it, and see where it takes you. Hopefully it could be a stepping stone to something better.

Good luck

Thanks mate.

Not a real tough one obviously, wouldn't use here for those. Not seen enough positive results for me to divulge the actual toughies
  • Options
    Done it for millwall for four years, didnt bat an eyelid mate. Ended up getting a decent one through at 8, he wanted to play midfield but told him to stay at CH (strange i know but some kids just have an eye for reafing the game and better facing the ball, he was one of the better ones and his family are cafc through and through, told him to go there and stick at CH. Hes just been released at 16 (differing opionions from new academy managers) had a.great 7 years with us though. I fear he will end up being one that got away tbh.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    Go for it, if you really want it to be your career you have to be a bit mercenary these days-good luck!
  • Options
    My brothers boy (U9s) is with Palaces academy and they are putting a team into either a Sussex or Tandridge league
    Good luck
  • Options
    Blimey mate, you have set your sights low.
    I agree with others, agent Fiiiiish spying future prospects for Charlton.
  • Options
    Whats not to like, just take a can of petrol and a box of matches with you, thanks...
  • Options
    You might get another change to coach; you won't get another chance to retrieve your dignity.
  • Options
    It's a "no brainer" - you simply can't miss this opportunity.

Make sure you ask PD for some brown envelopes first though. You will need those to "tap up" their best up and coming players.

Everyone's happy then, aren't they?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Go for it and enjoy it. I'm sure very few of the kids will actually support Palace either, and you can help them get their dram move away when the time comes.
  • Options
    My son's Under-11 coach is Palace. It pains me to say it that he's all right. Never makes any jokes about Charlton. On the other hand, I was walking my son to the swimming baths on Sunday, wearing his Charlton top, when I saw a car at the lights with one of those hateful Eagles stickers in the window. Full of blokes, it was. And I'll tell you what happened next: just as they were pulling away they shouted at my 10-year-old son, 'CHARLTON WANKER!' then did the wanker sign at him. Grown f*cking men calling a 10-year-old a wanker. As they were pulling away.

Anyway, yes mate, do what's right for you. Absolutely, if this is a great chance and a chance you couldn't in all honesty turn down.

But the thought of pulling on a Palace shirt makes me, personally, feel a little bit sick. I am after all the fellow who refused to sit in a coffee shop with my missus because they had Palace photos on the wall.

(I realise this post probably doesn't help you a hell of a lot.)