Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World Cup Clichés

Just two days to go folks so I'm sure Adrian Chiles, The Boy Lineaker, Alan Green et all will be dusting off their well worn edition of World Cup Clichés 1990-2014.

I fully expect to be entertained by such old favourites as:

"There's no easy games in international football Clive..."
"Rumours are coming out of the French camp that the players are not fully behind the gaffer Gary..."
"Keep you eyes on [insert name of unheard of player here] who's been strongly linked next season to a move to Championship side Charlton..."
"I agree Lawro, African goalkeepers are often the weak link in the side but that looked decidedly suspicious to me..."
"Well there's Ronaldo's partner in the crowd, it's not a bad life as a footballer is it..."
"The heat in the stadium today reminds me of USA'94, who else remembers it was a bit warm then..?"
"...and as England crash out of the tournament on penalties once again, it's back to the drawing board for Greg Dyke..."
"Well, they'll be celebrating well into the night in Tehran after that shock defeat of Argentina..."
"You're right I'm sure we will know every word of Girl From Impanema by the time we leave for home Alan..."

Plus lots of pervy camera work of course...can't wait for it to start now!

Comments

• "Spain need to change things, maybe go to a plan B, because it's just not working for them at the minute"
    "We're here in Rio, where the samba party atmosphere is in full flight"
    "There were lots of worries about the stadiums in brazil being finished on time"
    "There were protests about the world cup coming here, but you can now see the brazillian people have really got behind this world cup"
    "I just think Rooney just isn't quite as sharp as he usually is for united, Clive"

agree, really can't wait now, the lovely weather has made me feel more excited!
  • Great goal by Messi but i'm not sure whether he could do that on a cold wet Tuesday night in Huddersfield.
  • Any interviewer to any ex England Manager - 'Do England have a chance of winning the World Cup'

(those watching in telly land fall over laughing)
  • 'We should just play the kids next tournament'
  • Whenever an African team let a goal in...

"Naive defending"
  • Half the people on Charlton Life: "I shall be watching Extreme fishing on the other side, I don't bother watching England... "

Then they will come up with half a dozen paragraphs the next day about how awful we were.

When I first read this I thought it said extreme fisting.
    Each to their own...
  • Sponsored links:

• Whenever Messi or Ronaldo miss a chance they would usually take:

"Well, he is human afterall...."

Guaranteed.
  • Miss Piggy............I can't believe Big Mig hasn't made the Spain squad team.
  • Half the people on Charlton Life: "I shall be watching Extreme fishing on the other side, I don't bother watching England... "

Then they will come up with half a dozen paragraphs the next day about how awful we were.

You mean you'd hoped that's what it said!

Each to their own...
    Self fisting?
  • Mark Lawrenson

"Listen Gary, id not had much sleep but certainly had one too many Brahma's, how was i to know he had a fanny?

• 'It is a shame to think, that is going to be repeated on the school playground tomorrow' - following some kind of simulation/cheating/sly fouling by a high profile player.
  • edited June 2014
    "fantastic save by Hart there, Head and Shoulders above any others I have seen in this tournament so far".
  • edited June 2014

Half the people on Charlton Life: "I shall be watching Extreme fishing on the other side, I don't bother watching England... "

You're not alone!
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/41463/embarrassing-mis-reads
  • A jokingly said 'Good luck' or 'Easy for you to say' when the Iranian/Algerian/Greek/Bosnian/Croatian/South-Korean line-ups are read out.
  • A jokingly said 'Good luck' or 'Easy for you to say' when the Iranian/Algerian/Greek/Bosnian/Croatian/South-Korean line-ups are read out.

Ha, ha...I'm reading that in Mark Lawrensons voice!
  • Sponsored links:

• I asked the father of Man City's full back how his son felt about missing out on the French squad.
    He said his son would watch the tournament as a fan and would be supporting the team 100%.

Then I thought to myself - thats an Old Clichy.

• "It's a typically disciplined performance by the Germans..."

• And its carnival time here in Brazil as..... ...England draw 0-0 with Costa Rica/England progress to last 16/England score a goal etc etc

• And they're dancing the samba here in Brazil as ......England draw 0-0 with Costa Rica/England progress to last 16/England score a goal etc etc
  • and there we have it, England the new world champions.
  • A whole section on last night's MOTD on "The Group of Death!" (should be read in a Hammer House of Horror stylie of course).

Can't believe I missed such an obvious one...
  • ...and no World Cup is now complete without a psychic animal predicting the scores. This year it's Big Head the turtle...

bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27792753
  • edited June 2014
    "This is our year"

"Lower expectations than the golden generation"

Bla bla bla, I hate the commentary.

• "It's a typically disciplined performance by the Germans..."

Some sort of penalty remark/stereotype if Germany go to penalties - or German officials are invovled in penalties - or USA have penalties - any connection to Germany when penalties are happening...
  • Kent_red said:

"It's a typically disciplined performance by the Germans..."

Some sort of penalty remark/stereotype if Germany go to penalties - or German officials are invovled in penalties - or USA have penalties - any connection to Germany when penalties are happening...
    Ye and how we would have won 10 world cups if it wasn't for penalties.