Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

D-Day 6th June 1944

2»

Comments

• Great pix and story SE7toSG3. I like the 'D day dodging' phrase too ;o)
    I think everyone should visit the Normandy beaches, it certainly leaves an impression on what was arguably the most important day in the 20th Century.
  • A lesser known London connection to D Day is that the hard core rubble used to sink old vessels as part of the outer Mulberry Harbour was blitz damaged masonry from Paternoster Square by St Pauls as a defiant gesture.

Again well done BBC so far for such great coverage and I thought Obamas speech at Omaha was spot on.
  • Out of interest, on radio two this morning they interviewed the author of a new book called, I think, The Battle for Normandy. Sounded like a great read which I intend to buy. Incidentally my dad came off the beach at Dunkirk, and so many of those brave lads were reluctant to talk about their experiences. Strange that those of us who lived through the war, actually speak often as if it was all a wonderful time.
  • Granpa said:

Strange that those of us who lived through the war, actually speak often as if it was all a wonderful time.

I think it was Churchill who said something like 'there is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at and they miss'!!
  • My dad was 15 when WW2 began. He lived in Poznan so actually experienced the war from beginning to end.
    He was sent to Belgium where he worked in a print shop. He was accused of helping (polish) jews and was sent to Dachau but the train lines were bombed and he and a few comrades escaped from the train and somehow they made it to Switzerland.
    From there he joined the 3rd Carpathian Rifle Division and was sent to Africa. He fought in the North African and the Italian Campaigns as part of the eighth army. When the war was over he was given the choice of returning to Poland but stayed in the British Army and spent 1946 in Jerusalem before demobbing back to Blighty.
    Like many here, he has never been keen to talk about the war. I suppose he just had to do what was needed.

Incredible story - thank you for sharing.
  • bylbyl
    edited June 2014
    D-day is not about gloryfing past military achievements - it was hell on earth for all involved.

i hate how all the worlds big shots are there "to remember" when they just keep starting wars over religion - nationality - scarce resources - influence spheres - arms lobby - suppressing minorities - economical and financial power all over the world at the expense of the local population and their own soldiers

many wars were fought before WWII and many are and will be fought after.

I hope the human race will learn from their mistakes but looking around i think we still have a long way to go.

Just a few thoughts from belgium, a country that was left in ruins two times after the world wars and where plenty of battles were fought all throughout history.

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/chapters/antwerp.html
  • The futility of war is ever apparent, but the bravery and spirit of those who fought for us in WW1, WW2 and countless other conflicts must never be forgotten..just as, as per byl's comments above, the idiocy, arrogance and incompetence of those in power who drove and continue to drive mankind to war should never be forgiven!
  • Remembering with pride, dignity & gratitude is very different from gloryfing past military achievements. Today is about those who served in 1944 not those in power today in the crowd. I would think we all realise that and then we can debate the failings of mankind tomorrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone watch the d day banquet tonight on Great British Menu???

Got very teary eyed when the veteran sang the folk song he wrote. Emotional stuff.
  • DRAddick said:
    Was just gonna post these! Did you see the link underneath all the photos for the strangest people?

http://viralious.com/2013/12/29/9-people-you-wont-believe-actually-exist/4/
  • Brings a tear to your eye watching the coverage - we owe so much.
  • My dad was a paratrooper in ww2,sneaked in under age at Hither Green recruitment because his older brother was already a para.
    told us very few stories from the war . Now has dimenshia (spelling ) and in a nursing home.

What he did tell me though was that he had 17 drops and the Germans who caught him were very good to him, except a very young soldier who wanted to shoot him, but the older Germans talked him out of it.

Very proud of my dad and like most sons probably not told him as much as I should have.
  • My dad was in the Royal Tank Regiment and I had no idea what he had done during the war. He would never talk about it. Some years back, when he was in his seventies, on a Remembrance Sunday, he suddenly appeared wearing his medals and sobbing helplessly. Thus it was that I discovered that his task had been to clear bodies from the beaches. That was all he ever told me and he continued to cry on and off for weeks and was never quite the same again. It breaks my heart still, what kind of hell did those young men endure? Never forget, never again.

• My great grandad was at Dunkirk and D Day. One of the only stories I know was his time in Holland during Operation Market Garden. He and a few of his pals like many of the British were left behind in a hasty retreat from the Germans. Thankfully a very kind Dutch family sheltered my great grandad and his pals in their attic where they remained unfound until they could return to the allies. My great grandad remained close friends with that Dutch family after the war, meeting up on many occassions.
  • One of things that made D Day a success was the disception.
    Were any landings made or attempted at Calias? I could never find any info about them.
  • One of things that made D Day a success was the disception.
    Were any landings made or attempted at Calias? I could never find any info about them.

there was a bogus army on the cliffs of dover if i remember correctly, thousands of fake tanks, aeroplanes and billets were put up to deceive the germans. Calais was so heavily fortified it would've been suicide attacking there.
  • For anyone who wants a highly readable account, the following hour by hour account is quite good

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/10878674/D-Day-6th-June-1944-as-it-happened-live.html
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2014

One of things that made D Day a success was the disception.

there was a bogus army on the cliffs of dover if i remember correctly, thousands of fake tanks, aeroplanes and billets were put up to deceive the germans. Calais was so heavily fortified it would've been suicide attacking there.
    Another fascinating D-Day story was the 900 or so American troops who died on a Devonshire beach during a training exercise blunder, think it was called Exercise Tiger.
  • My dad was in the Royal Tank Regiment and I had no idea what he had done during the war. He would never talk about it. Some years back, when he was in his seventies, on a Remembrance Sunday, he suddenly appeared wearing his medals and sobbing helplessly. Thus it was that I discovered that his task had been to clear bodies from the beaches. That was all he ever told me and he continued to cry on and off for weeks and was never quite the same again. It breaks my heart still, what kind of hell did those young men endure? Never forget, never again.

I never really knew my grandad but when he died and we were clearing his stuff we found a diary from when he served in burma. One entry simply read "cleared ??? Village today, bad day" When I spoke to his brother he told me that his company came across a village that the Japanese had burnt down and massacred the inhabitants. He was part of a detail that had to dig up the victims, which included several dismembered children and bury them properly.
  • Going back to the OP about Charlton fans at D-day, did anyone else see the 2 brothers (Ernie & Johnny) chatting on the itv news yesterday?
    The presenter credits them as CAFC fans right at the end.

My dodgy screen recording here, so apologies for the sound quality.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfOWRF5RI-Y&feature=youtu.be
  • MOBY DUCK said:

Going back to the OP about Charlton fans at D-day, did anyone else see the 2 brothers (Ernie & Johnny) chatting on the itv news yesterday?
    The presenter credits them as CAFC fans right at the end.

My dodgy screen recording here, so apologies for the sound quality.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfOWRF5RI-Y&feature=youtu.be

Love it, the club ought to present them at a home game with vip day out.
    Come on Roland, they saved your arse from speaking German etc.
  • love reading about ww2. It really is like some classic epic novel or hollywood movie where there were clearly a good side and a bad side, but there were good people who died fighting for the evil side, and that is also fascinating. The entire world was involved as well, well and truly (britain only got bombed a few times in ww1 if i remember correctly). Also the fact there are still veterans walking around today who fought in it.
  • edited June 2014

(britain only got bombed a few times in ww1 if i remember correctly).

Over 5,000 bombs were dropped on Engalnd from Zeppelins and Schutte-Lanz airships as well as aeroplanes - over 550 people died as a result.

The German Fleet also famously shelled the North West of England in December 1914 and again off the East Anglia Coast in April 1916.

Anyway, I didn't find Normandy too much of a strain last month.