Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THE RESULTS - Charlton Life's top 10 Favourite sports stars of all time

Thanks for voting. Over 90 people voted and 150 sports men and women were voted for.

Another " Your Top Five" coming on Friday.

Here are the results.

1. Ian Botham

2.Muhammad Ali

3.Daley Thompson

4.Ronnie O'Sullivan

5.Johnny Wilkinson

6.Bjorn Borg

7.Steve Redgrave

8.Andrew Flintoff

9.Shane Warne

10.Phil Taylor

Just missing out on the top 10 were Jimmy White , Roger Federer , and Seve Ballesteros

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Interesting results those Beds. I absolutely love my darts and Taylor is an unbelievable player but I couldn't put him in my selection as I just don't like the man at all. A brilliant champion but a dislikeable man.

I'd also probably have put Ali in there but went for people I've seen since growing up and he was before my time.

Thanks for doing that though, intriguing to see who people went for.
  • Options
    I call a stewards.
    How is Phil Taylor a sportsman? - Darts is a game not a sport.
    Any game that started in a pub cannot be a sport!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I call a stewards.

I was gutted that Seve was beaten by Taylor but that's the way the votes went .
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I call a stewards.

The FA was founded in a pub... ;-)
  • Options
    Not one woman which is a pity.
    For me someone like Navratilova or Nadia Comaneci (sp?) were better sports people than Phil the power Taylor.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Not one woman which is a pity.
    For me someone like Navratilova or Nadia Comaneci (sp?) were better sports people than Phil the power Taylor.

Jessica Ennis poled the highest of the women with 5 votes but it was a few short to make the top 10.
  • Options

Greenie said:

I call a stewards.

I was gutted that Seve was beaten by Taylor but that's the way the votes went .
    Seve was a proper proper sportsman in every sense of the word, and a man of huge dignity. I also wouldn't have had Taylor in there.

Sport isn't entirely about physical prowess though. Darts is something people can relate to as we've all given it a go and realise that to be that good it takes huge talent, dedication, hours of practice and when doing it in front crowds of around 10,000 plus, big cojones.
  • Options
    That's cricket isn't it? The 20th century game with the wooden sticks and that, do we still have that?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    The Telegraph ran a poll like this back in 2009 and their top ten was

1.Roger Federer
    2.Jack Nicklaus
    3.Muhammad Ali
    4.Michael Jordan
    5.Michael Phelps
    6.Martina Navratilova
    7.Usain Bolt
    8.Valentino Rossi
    9.Steve Redgrave
    10.Lance Armstrong

Only two of that list got in our top 10.
  • Options
    Interesting stuff, well done for organising Beds.

Personally I'd have given a mention for Seb Coe and Nick Faldo, along with Daley Thomson and Redgrave were heroes of mine growing up. Would also have mentioned Jess and Kelly Holmes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A few of mine were actually favourites due to their personality as well as sporting prowess, as Beds did say that was okay within his criteria. Did anyone else do the same?
  • Options
    Something about Redgrave i really don't like
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I call a stewards.

Sport - athleticism is a necessity and also must be a risk of injury

Darts - injured by hot lights and standing up too long. Doesnt pass the athleticism test.
    Snooker - great game not a sport though

flintoff no way.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I call a stewards.

I knew someone would be pedantic 're Darts, hence why I made sure a darts player was in my top 5. I was going to be put in a British wrestler like Cyanide Sid Cooper or Dave Fit Finlay but I thought that would cause a row 're is Wrestling fixed?
  • Options
    Wrestling is fixed? Noooooooooooooooooooooo!
  • Options
    edited June 2014

1.Roger Federer
    2.Jack Nicklaus
    3.Muhammad Ali
    4.Michael Jordan
    5.Michael Phelps
    6.Martina Navratilova
    7.Usain Bolt
    8.Valentino Rossi
    9.Steve Redgrave
    10.Lance Armstrong

Interesting that there is only one Brit in that list, whereas there are seven in CL's. Home bias perhaps? I think I only included one Brit - Lester Piggot but not surprised he didn't make it to ours or the Telegraph's top 10 even though I consider him Britain's greatest ever sportsman.

How Nicklaus and Jordan are not in everyones' top five is beyond me!! (but I accept it's favourite and not necessarily best)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

1.Roger Federer
    2.Jack Nicklaus
    3.Muhammad Ali
    4.Michael Jordan
    5.Michael Phelps
    6.Martina Navratilova
    7.Usain Bolt
    8.Valentino Rossi
    9.Steve Redgrave
    10.Lance Armstrong

Interesting that there is only one Brit in that list, whereas there are seven in CL's. Home bias perhaps? I think I only included one Brit - Lester Piggot but not surprised he didn't make it to ours or the Telegraph's top 10 even though I consider him Britain's greatest ever sportsman.

How Nicklaus and Jordan are not in everyones' top five is beyond me!! (but I accept it's favourite and not necessarily best)
    I suspect the reasons are this: British sportsmen because as you later say it's favourite, not best, which is probably what the telegraph was asking; and they were asking a certain demographic, very different to ours on CL.

Lester Piggot blotted his copybook, and for the most part (not all), people who are into racing care about the betting rather than the sport. (Even if they claim different).

No Jordan - because British people mostly don't care about basketball. In ten years running a bar in Portugal I have never had a holiday maker come in and ask me if we were showing basketball, and if you walk into a British street now and ask people to name three NBA franchises it would take you an hour to find two people who could.

No Nicklaus because he won his last major nearly thirty years ago, on any random questionnaire like this people will more easily recall the recent past. And of course many of our fellow members were not even born when he was at his pomp, or at the very least not able to remember it.

That's my take on it anyway? :-)
  • Options
    Strange Ian Botham's number 1, was a cracking cricketer (one of the best ever) and his charity work is brilliant and he works hard at that, but he's a terrible, terrible pundit and doesn't seem like that much of a pleasant character. Would've thought others would be above, but there we go!
  • Options
    Ali is always near the top of these polls. Personally I hate Ali, no doubt a fantastic boxer but not a fan of the man at all.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I call a stewards.

Yet nobody bats an eyelid about snooker?
    Less energetic than darts....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Greenie said:

I call a stewards.

Snooker is a sport, mainly because of the amount of tournaments nowadays, almost every week there is a tournament off some kind on
  • Options

Greenie said:

I call a stewards.

Snooker is a sport, mainly because of the amount of tournaments nowadays, almost every week there is a tournament off some kind on
    There are poker tournaments all the time, and more online. Is poker a sport now?
  • Options

Greenie said:

I call a stewards.

they have darts tournaments on every week too, not uncommon for players to be in two tournaments a week

• Options
    IA said:

Greenie said:

I call a stewards.

There are poker tournaments all the time, and more online. Is poker a sport now?
    Poker is not full time, you can pick and choose if you go to a tournement
    if you did that in snooker your ranking position would fall down and could lose your place on the tour(Just ask Steve Davis)
  • Options
    There is a definition of sport (from the IOC, I think) which concerns such things as getting better by practice. Darts and snooker both qualify.
  • Options

There is a definition of sport (from the IOC, I think) which concerns such things as getting better by practice. Darts and snooker both qualify.

Does having sex qualify then?:-)