Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Good Pub names

Have you ever visited a Pub just because you like the name ? Does this affect whether you go there or not?

Many years ago I found a pub in Islington called the Three Johns after seeing Alexi Sayle do a sketch around it.

I now live in North East London and often go through Islington on my way home from work I was pleased to see last week that it has now reopened.

Its funny because when it was called the Hobgoblin , I had no interest in going in there . Now I can see it is the Three Johns I think I will break my journey one night and have a pint.

Comments

• Options
    I always thought that Floyds/Bartrams/whatever should have been called "The Goalkeepers' Arms"
  • Options

I always thought that Floyds/Bartrams/whatever should have been called "The Goalkeepers' Arms"

There was me thinking you could only play with one keeper.
  • Options
    Fanny on the hill
  • Options
    Jarman said:

Fanny on the hill

Been in there a few times.
  • Options

There was me thinking you could only play with one keeper.
    No one likes a smart arse : - )

Plural because the pub would be themed to have pictures of every players whose played in goal for Charlton and a small ceremony would take place to put up a new photo whenever a new keeper debuts.

You can see I've put some thought into this : - )
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Who'd of thought it.
  • Options
    The Frog and Nightgown. Sounds like a wacky chain-pub on the city-centre circuit, but is actually a lovely old tile-hung cottage on a country lane outside Horsham.
  • Options
    Jarman said:

Fanny on the hill

Used to pass it on my way home at night, always enjoyed a quick one in the Fanny.
  • Options
    I visited my parents over the weekend and my Dad and I went to The Four Candles in St. Peters, Broadstairs. It's a fairly new micro pub which had a nice selection of fine ales.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cock Inn
  • Options
    The Swan and Paedo

(One for Peep show fans)
  • Options

Cock Inn

Eddie, how far's the Cock Inn?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Cock Inn

Depends where you're coming from.
  • Options
    The Lock Inn - was down by the canals and locks Ealing way.
  • Options

Who'd of thought it.

You beat me to it.
  • Options
    The Crown & Two Chairmen in Dean St.
    The Old Success Inn, Sennen Cove
    The Hung Drawn & Quartered (and I often am when I get home)
    The Old Dr Butler's Head these last two both in the City. The Dr Butlers is very handy because you can say, without lying, that you have to leave work early because you've an appointment at the doctor's.
    The Cardinal in Westminster was also handy if you needed to seek "spiritual guidance". But is now, unfortunately, re-named The Windsor Castle.
    (Nat West had a competition to name their in-house boozer at their computer centre in Leman St back in the day. I'm reliably informed that "The Weary Banker" was on the short-list until someone twigged....)
  • Options

Who'd of thought it.

Wasn't the pub nearby called 'The World Turned Upside Down@?

• Options
    Phoenix and Firkin (aah the good old 80's). Used to be able to get T-shirts
    Phoenix my pint I'll Firkin kill 'im
  • Options
    Pyrotechnics Arms in Nunhead
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Old Tea Warehouse
    The Robin Hood and Little John
  • Options
    Old Thirteenth Cheshire Astley Volunteer Rifleman Corps Inn. Unsurprisingly, the longest name in the UK. In a back-street of Stalybridge, Greater Manchester.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Cock Inn

Just in the alleyway behind the Cockswell Inn
  • Options

Who'd of thought it.

Wasn't the pub nearby called 'The World Turned Upside Down@?

Yes. And what a great pub name. It was at the top end of the Old Kent Road. Past the Old Dun Cow! Both sadly gone.

• Options
    iaitch said:

Cock Inn

The Cock Inn
    Welwyn
    Herts
  • Options
    Back in the late 70's and not long after I had moved ooop north, there was a pub in Manchester called Tommy Ducks, a little old insignificant back street boozer but the name intrigued me. One night before meeting some mates in town, I decided to pop in to Tommy Ducks for a quick pint and I could not believe my eyes, the entire ceiling was completely covered with knickers. There was every size, type and colour evidently donated over the years by girls on their way to the various night clubs in the area.
  • Options
    Woodin's Shades in aldgate. What does that reference?

I like this one as well in Nunhead - Pyrotechnics Arms

• Options
    Bld_10a said:

Phoenix and Firkin (aah the good old 80's). Used to be able to get T-shirts
    Phoenix my pint I'll Firkin kill 'im

Also the Fox & Firkin, where the T-shirts read: For Fox sake buy me a Firkin pint.

There was a pub in Catford called the Slug & Lettuce, which was known as the Slag & Bedstead by the locals.

• Options
    Is the 'We Anchor in Hope' still going in Shooters Hill?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Is the 'We Anchor in Hope' still going in Shooters Hill?

Yes