Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weird penalty (goal or no goal?) : Afghanistan vs Maldives

Is this a legitimate goal? It was awarded but I'm not sure it should've been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8TeCUcMiSE

Comments

• Options
    Great watch! This is the FIFA rule interpretation:
    "Feinting in the run-up to take a penalty kick to confuse opponents is permitted
    as part of football. However, feinting to kick the ball once the player has
    completed his run-up is considered an infringement of Law 14 and an act of
    unsporting behaviour for which the player must be cautioned."

So, in this example as the player just fell over, whether on purpose or not, in his run up before getting anywhere near the ball, I reckon the ref was correct to allow the goal.
  • Options
    Doesn't the ref have the power to decide whether the behaviour is unsporting or not? If I was the ref, I would have deemed it to be - I think, but you can argue that some keepers waving their hands all over the place is unsporting too!
  • Options

Doesn't the ref have the power to decide whether the behaviour is unsporting or not? If I was the ref, I would have deemed it to be - I think, but you can argue that some keepers waving their hands all over the place is unsporting too!

How can an accident be unsporting? Also, as per the rule stated above, he didn't feint once at the ball.
  • Options
    You think that was an accident?!
  • Options
    It is an old prat fall trick from the theatre, and he glances at the referee too, unsporting behaviour.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

It is an old prat fall trick from the theatre, and he glances at the referee too, unsporting behaviour.

Spot on. Yellow card too

• Options
    Nothing at all wrong with that
  • Options

Even if it's in the rules there's quite a lot wrong with that !
  • Options
    Booking for Ungentlemanly conduct. Retake of penalty.
  • Options

Then it's confirmed. No goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So if Suarez did this in the World Cup v England, you wouldn't have anything to say about it?

Unsporting and cheap.
  • Options
    I wouldn't if Rooney done it...
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to win like that - sometimes you get reminders that football has sunk as low as it can. At least we as fans should be outraged.
  • Options
    Read the rule quoted above. Perfectly legal. You may not be happy with the morality if it wasn't an accident but as he wasn't at the ball there's no offence even if it was on purpose.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Is it legal for the penalty taker to shoot the keeper before taking the penalty? I'm not sure it says you can't in the laws of the game. I think the question mark would be under the ungentlemanly conduct rule. This has to be interpreted by the referee as context is everything in this respect.
  • Options

Is it legal for the penalty taker to shoot the keeper before taking the penalty? I'm not sure it says you can't in the laws of the game. I think the question mark would be under the ungentlemanly conduct rule. This has to be interpreted by the referee as context is everything in this respect.

Shooting the 'keeper would be violent behaviour and therefore a straight red. The three match ban would probably be served whilst on remand.
  • Options
    forgot he'd already been awarded a penalty and dived cause he was in the area.
  • Options

Shooting the 'keeper would be violent behaviour and therefore a straight red. The three match ban would probably be served whilst on remand.
    Yes, but it would be disallowed under a law outside the penalty one. A ref could deem falling over on purpose to be unsporting behaviour - that is my point. This one clearly didn't. If it wasn't a one off - I'm sure FIFA would cover it by guiding refs that it is unsporting behaviour.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

"Feinting in the run-up to take a penalty kick to confuse opponents is permitted

So, in this example as the player just fell over, whether on purpose or not, in his run up before getting anywhere near the ball, I reckon the ref was correct to allow the goal.

Sums it up, referencing only the facts. The rest of the thread is just uninformed shite.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Sums it up, referencing only the facts. The rest of the thread is just uninformed shite.
    Does it depend on interpretation of the laws of the game though ?

A player should be cautioned for the offence :

Acts in a manner which shows a lack of respect for the game.

In my view this is relevant in the players behaviour. Certainly a trick designed to put the goalkeeper off purely and simply. Lack of respect for the game in my view.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

cafcfan said:

In my view this is relevant in the players behaviour. Certainly a trick designed to put the goalkeeper off purely and simply. Lack of respect for the game in my view.

I agree
  • Options
    He didn't feint in the run-up, he fainted.
  • Options
    Ok a question then

If he was on a yellow card and then got booked for this - what happens to the penno? Does someone else take it? Don't they have to name the 5 penalty takers?

Just wonder if it's ever happened
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Ok a question then

If he was on a yellow card and then got booked for this - what happens to the penno? Does someone else take it? Don't they have to name the 5 penalty takers?

Just wonder if it's ever happened

Hang on, are you asking if a player could be sent off DURING a penalty shoot-out? Because that would be AMAZING.
  • Options
    I presume they move to the next - a player can be sent off after the game so it is possible in the shoot out - just unlikely as players find it difficult to do anything worthy of a red card in this situation.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Even if it's in the rules there's quite a lot wrong with that !
    How is it in the rules, he never got to the ball so its not an infringement
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Exactly the point I've been trying to make. Perhaps I was too tactful and should have been more colourful with my vocabulary.
  • Options

I presume they move to the next - a player can be sent off after the game so it is possible in the shoot out - just unlikely as players find it difficult to do anything worthy of a red card in this situation.

Shooting the keeper would definitely get a red.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

The rule is quite explicit in allowing attempts to confuse the keeper.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

cafcfan said:

The rule is quite explicit in allowing attempts to confuse the keeper.
    Yes that's why I said interpretation of the laws is the thing here. The rules do allow for feinting during the run up but where does the line get crossed into unsporting behaviour ? In this case I think it does.

I ask this question. If Johnnie Jackson did this at a The Valley would you be happy with that or think that he was going too far and acting outside of the spirit of the game ? I know what I think.