Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your Top Five......Sports stars of all time ( non football )

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Assuming Bruce Lee is not allowed.....

Ronnie O' Sullivan
    Jimmy WhiteBjorn Borg
    Seb Coe
    Daley ThompsonMichael Schumacher
  • Options

boogica said:

Seve
    Ian Botham
    Bjorn Borg
    Daley thompson
    Roberto Duran

I wondered when Bjorn Borg would get a vote. He just missed out in my list .
    Borg, imagine if he had the rackets they av today instead of the wooden donnay one.
  • Options
    Michael Johnson
    Jimmy White
    Fernando Alonso
    Ricky Hatton
    Phil Taylor
  • Options
    Not sure if I was supposed to put my favourite, or the best (I have seen). So done both:

Favourite:

1) Nigel Mansell
    2) Lewis Hamilton
    3) David Ortiz
    4) Curt Schilling
    5) Freddie Flintoff

Best:

1) Ayrton Senna
    2) Michael Schumacher
    3) Roger Federer
    4) Shane Warne
    5) Brett Favre
  • Options

David Beckham
    Andrew Flintoff
    Wayne Gretzky
    Bob Crow
    Zenedine Zidane

Eh?

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Roger Federer - my fav sportsman of all time. made things look so easy. also remember back to the 08 wimbledon final (when he was two sets down, came back to 2-2 and eventually lost). imo the best final ever. wanted him to win so badly - never been so exhausted and deflated after watching a match (of any sport)

Ronnie O'Sullivan - makes snooker excititing. only watch it when he's playing

Jonny Wilkinson - consistent performer and for those winning points!

struggle to think of two more
  • Options

Not sure if I was supposed to put my favourite, or the best (I have seen). So done both:

Favourite:

1) Nigel Mansell
    2) Lewis Hamilton
    3) David Ortiz
    4) Curt Schilling
    5) Freddie Flintoff

Best:

1) Ayrton Senna
    2) Michael Schumacher
    3) Roger Federer
    4) Shane Warne
    5) Brett Favre

Favourite .
  • Options
    I was tempted to include Brady but I think NFL players are hard to include as they are so reliant on factors around them. I know Brady in particular has gone to Super Bowls with poor teams it's hard to say if that would have happened with a poor coach/system instead of Bill. Whereas the likes of Michael Jordan and Lebron James due to the sport are more likely to be dominant sportsmen regardless.

Roger Federer
    Michael Jordan
    Lebron James
    Michael Schumacher
    Ayrton Senna (Not seen live but seen enough)
  • Options
    Brady in particular has gone to Super Bowls with poor teams - err no!
  • Options
    1: Mohammed Ali
    2: Thomas Hearns
    3: Lance Armstrong (yes the drug cheat)
    4: Nigel Benn
    5: Daley Thompson
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Usain Bolt
    Freddie Flintoff
    Ronnie O'Sullivan
    Jimmy Anderson
    Andy Murray
  • Options
    So we have a confirmed drug cheat and a convicted rapist. I wonder what makes them a favourite?
  • Options
    edited May 2014

So we have a confirmed drug cheat and a convicted rapist. I wonder what makes them a favourite?

In my case , Mike Tyson , I loved watching him . The most destructive boxer of all time IMHO .
    His later convictions have no bearing on my enjoyment of watching him box.
  • Options
    A P McCoy
    Frankie Dettori
    Lebron James
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    Carl Fogarty
  • Options

They're all drug cheats. Some confirmed, some not. Armstrong was a superb cyclist, with or without.
    Some people try and make it sound like if you pumped any old fat bloke with drugs and he'd win Le Tour.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Bradley Wiggins (not a drug cheat)
    Nadia Comăneci
    Alan Knott
    Daley Thompson
    Kerri Strug
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Stone said:

They're all drug cheats. Some confirmed, some not. Armstrong was a superb cyclist, with or without.
    Some people try and make it sound like if you pumped any old fat bloke with drugs and he'd win Le Tour.
    Armstrong was good but not 'superb', he had not won anything major (bar two classics) before his first tour win, his best finish in le tour being 36th while withdrawing from his other 3 tour entries before he 'won' it.

Plus his attitude and constant denial of the doping absolutely stunk. He'd probably make it into my top 5 entries of least favorite sports stars.
  • Options
    Curtly Ambrose
    Reggie White
    Viatcheslav Ekimov
    Geoffrey Boycott
    Virat Kohli
  • Options
    Valentino Rossi
    Muhammad Ali
    Marco Simoncelli
    Kirkland Laing
    Alan Wells
  • Options

@SuedeAdidas‌

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/25389659

Talk of playing Aussie rules as well in the future.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@SuedeAdidas‌

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/25389659

Talk of playing Aussie rules as well in the future.

Thats not the world belt though. Its "international" heavyweight belt. Klitschko holds WBA world.

supreme crossover nonetheless. But he has not and will not ever hold a world title in the true sense.
  • Options
    Some athlete indeed.....but the WBA international belt does not make him the Heavyweight World Champion.
  • Options
    Goran Ivanišević - Winning Wimbledon as a wildcard.
    Alex Higgins - just pipped Jimmy White for me because he won world title twice.
    Jerry Rice - San Francisco 49ers Wide Receiver, 3 x Superbowls
    Ben Ainslie - Incredible Sailor at all levels
    Jessica Ennis-Hill - Delivered in 2012 under incredible pressure
  • Options
    James Hunt

Barry McGuigan

Daley Thompson

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Jessica Ennis
  • Options
    Stone said:

No, they're not.

No, he wasn't.

Who are these "some people"?
  • Options

Stone said:

Armstrong was good but not 'superb', he had not won anything major (bar two classics) before his first tour win, his best finish in le tour being 36th while withdrawing from his other 3 tour entries before he 'won' it.

Plus his attitude and constant denial of the doping absolutely stunk. He'd probably make it into my top 5 entries of least favorite sports stars.
    And what did Wiggins and Froome actually win before Le Tour? Weak argument that one.
    Oh and don't let the fact that he had cancer get in the way of his lack of previous success eh? Or maybe that was a lie too?

At the end of the day, he never failed a dope test did he? Just like dozens of others who are still racing with undetectable chemicals.
  • Options
    Ian Botham
    Tom Kristensen
    Stirling Moss
    Steve Davis
    Seb Coe
  • Options
    Ian Botham
    Gary Sobers
    Ronnie O'sullivan
    Gareth Edwards
    Steve Redgrave
  • Options
    Steve Davis
    Nigel Benn
    Naseem Hamed (when he was with Brendan Ingle)
    Johnny Wilkinson
    Bradley Wiggins
  • Options
    Muhammad Ali
    Michael Jordan
    Jack Nicklaus
    Lester Piggot
    Shane Warne