Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A Question For The Old Gits On Here

At the bottom of Belmont Hill there is an old advertisement faded but still visible on the brickwork. It's obviously for a painters and decorators but I don't recognise the word "Crainer"

Any ideas

Comments

• At the bottom of Belmont Hill there is an old advertisement faded but still visible on the brickwork. It's obviously for a painters and decorators but I don't recognise the word "Crainer"

Any ideas

I've passed that thousands of time in my life, but only noticed it last Friday - has it been covered up?

To be honest, I read it as Grainer - probably wrong though.

Whatever it is, it's certainly old!
  • Took that photograph this morning.
  • It is Grainer - someone who polishes wood to bring out the grain!!
  • It could well be a G ! That would make sense.
  • Thanks Guinness. Very interesting but no enlightenment for the word Crainer or Grainer. If it is a G I'm now thinking it must be painting grain effect on timber ?
  • A grainer is someone who paints inexpensive wood to make it look like expensive wood!!
  • Thanks Guinness. Very interesting but no enlightenment for the word Crainer or Grainer. If it is a G I'm now thinking it must be painting grain effect on timber ?

See bobmunro, above. I reckon he's got it.

• Amazing how long it's been on that wall
  • I knew the CL old gits would solve my problem. Well this one anyway. Many thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• There's a photo on Flickr of that wall too, and someone gives this explanation:
    It'll be 'grainer' which is someone who creates the effect of wood grain on non-wooden surfaces.
    However, I'm not too sure whether the curvature on the C would really match that of a G. I would've thought the lower curve would've been at a more harsh angle.

This digitalised newspaper from 1876, and another from 1888 suggest that it wouldn't have been uncommon for a painter and decorator to also be a "Grainer" though.

There's also a book on the role of a painter and decorator in the late 19th century - entitled "The Paper Hanger, Painter, Crainer, and Decorator's Assistant"; set in London and Kent too boot! Rather unhelpfully though, I also see references referring to it as "The Paper Hanger, Painter, Grainer, and Decorator's Assistant."..

It's interesting, had I heard of a "Grainer" in the area (in historic terms) - I would've presumed it was something to do the with old mills at Victoria Docks in Silvertown; where the likes of Bonio was made. I didn't know it had any relevance with decorating.
  • Our flat in Lewisham is literally opposite that (we dont live there at the moment) but I dont remember ever having seen this. I presume there's been an advertising hoarding blocking it for a few years.
  • LuckyReds said:

There's a photo on Flickr of that wall too, and someone gives this explanation:

It'll be 'grainer' which is someone who creates the effect of wood grain on non-wooden surfaces.
    However, I'm not too sure whether the curvature on the C would really match that of a G. I would've thought the lower curve would've been at a more harsh angle.

This digitalised newspaper from 1876, and another from 1888 suggest that it wouldn't have been uncommon for a painter and decorator to also be a "Grainer" though.

There's also a book on the role of a painter and decorator in the late 19th century - entitled "The Paper Hanger, Painter, Crainer, and Decorator's Assistant"; set in London and Kent too boot! Rather unhelpfully though, I also see references referring to it as "The Paper Hanger, Painter, Grainer, and Decorator's Assistant."..

It's interesting, had I heard of a "Grainer" in the area (in historic terms) - I would've presumed it was something to do the with old mills at Victoria Docks in Silvertown; where the likes of Bonio was made. I didn't know it had any relevance with decorating.

Bonio! Brilliant. I bet I'm not the only one on here who's ate one?
  • Come to think of it I remember seeing the effect in my younger days - poorly done it looks like a cheap brown undercoat that hasn't been applied evenly. The early version of formica no doubt!!
  • LuckyReds said:

There's a photo on Flickr of that wall too, and someone gives this explanation:

Bonio! Brilliant. I bet I'm not the only one on here who's ate one?

Bloody rock hard ;0)

• bobmunro said:

Come to think of it I remember seeing the effect in my younger days - poorly done it looks like a cheap brown undercoat that hasn't been applied evenly. The early version of formica no doubt!!

Often seen in pubs now.

• http://www.census1891.com/occupations-p.htm and check for Painter and Grainer

100% nailed. Thankyou

• edited May 2014
    bobmunro (and others), spot on. It seems to be a word very much stuck in a certain era. This from OED:

5. One who paints in imitation of the grain of wood or the markings of marble.

1837 N. Whittock et al. Compl. Bk. Trades (1842) 356 The Grainer, who admirably imitates the grains of woods, marbles, etc.
    1887 Paperhanger, Painter, Grainer, etc. 105 Graining is the imitation, strictly speaking, of woods, although the term ‘grainer’ is often used..to signify a painter of marbles as well as of woods.
    1891 Daily News 21 Jan. 3/8 A sign writer and grainer.
  • Proper Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• At the bottom of Belmont Hill there is an old advertisement faded but still visible on the brickwork. It's obviously for a painters and decorators but I don't recognise the word "Crainer"

Any ideas

Ask Lewisham Council
  • edited May 2014
    My gran's old front door in Greenwich was "grained". It was effectively varnished, I think, and then a metal comb was scrapped over the wet varnish in a random way, giving the wood grain effect. Done properly, it didn't look too bad but as is the way with varnish it needed re-doing regularly.

Edited to say: good grief, you can still buy the combs! rosebrand.com/product398/Steel-Graining-Combs.aspx?cid=393&idx=12&tid=1&info=Scenic%2BArtists%2527%2BAccessories
  • Here's an extract from a book from the '30s describing some of the processes: seems a bit more tricky than your average DIY!
    rosebrand.com/product398/Steel-Graining-Combs.aspx?cid=393&idx=12&tid=1&info=Scenic%2BArtists%2527%2BAccessories

• Somewhere in my loft I've a bundle of 1930's DIY magazines and I'm sure that in one of them it shows you how to do this. I'll have to dig them out.

• Whatever you do, don't show this thread to a Spanner.