Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: Jose Riga , Bob Peeters and the 90 minute manager

2»

Comments

• edited May 2014
    I didn't know - but I had built up a picture of what I thought RD was about and within that I saw that he would want a yes man and Riga showed immediately he was not that. My fear was that he bought us for a reason and whilst he was willing to let a manager have freedom to ensure we were safe, he wasn't going to change his plan - the reason he bought us. Riga would have reasonably expected to have a chance given his success but he is no more qualified than any of us to judge the future actions of the owner, unless said owner has led him to believe he had the job which I'm sure from all the quotes I have read was not the case.

I have been looking - in hope- for some evidence to suggest my theory about RD is wrong and unfortunately all the evidence I have seen only seems to point the other way. Had Riga been appointed, I would have been relieved as it was clear he would manage. I said before and when everybody was talking in terms of it being the likely outcome, that I didn't think it would happen but I wanted it too - desperately.
  • edited May 2014
    I would think it absolutely unthinkable for any coach taking a job where he doesn't select the team. The European model of a coach being given a squad to work with along some input to acquisition would not suit 99% of British managers but wouldn't seem anything strange to coaches working on the continent under a director of football but the concept of an owner picking the team and the coach being happy with that is I think fanciful. I have posted before that this nonsense scenario would have only one outcome. Relegation pdq. Loss of value for the club and certain professional suicide for the coach involved.

I just don't believe in this Peeters is a "yes man" scenario otherwise he wouldn't have got the job and conversely Riga isn't a yes man and therefore didn't. Riga wanted the job and would be well aware of the model expected by RD.
  • I would think it absolutely unthinkable for any coach taking a job where he doesn't select the team. The European model of a coach being given a squad to work with along some input to acquisition would not suit 99% of British managers but wouldn't seem anything strange to coaches working on the continent under a director of football but the concept of an owner picking the team and the coach being happy with that is I think fanciful. I have posted before that this nonsense scenario would have only one outcome. Relegation pdq. Loss of value for the club and certain professional suicide for the coach involved.

I just don't believe in this Peeters is a "yes man" scenario otherwise he wouldn't have got the job and conversely Riga isn't a yes man and therefore didn't. Riga wanted the job and would be well aware of the model expected by RD.

I hope you are right, but what worries me is that KM said the squad would be ready by the end of June and if BP is not joining us until June 30th, what input would he have with the signing of new players? I also read that Protheroe is still with us presuming only on a Wednesday, the statement from KM came out on Thursday did he have anything to do with it
  • ross1 said:

I would think it absolutely unthinkable for any coach taking a job where he doesn't select the team. The European model of a coach being given a squad to work with along some input to acquisition would not suit 99% of British managers but wouldn't seem anything strange to coaches working on the continent under a director of football but the concept of an owner picking the team and the coach being happy with that is I think fanciful. I have posted before that this nonsense scenario would have only one outcome. Relegation pdq. Loss of value for the club and certain professional suicide for the coach involved.

I hope you are right, but what worries me is that KM said the squad would be ready by the end of June and if BP is not joining us until June 30th, what input would he have with the signing of new players? I also read that Protheroe is still with us presuming only on a Wednesday, the statement from KM came out on Thursday did he have anything to do with it
    BP may not be joining us officially until 1st July but there is nothing to stop him talking to people on the telephone, or Skype, or by e-mail. The football season across Europe is now over, so he has plenty of time to start planning for next season. Even if he is not yet actually on our payroll.
  • ross1 said:

Another 4 weeks to before that inspired statement gets put to the test. Strange to take a 2 week holiday right in the business end of this period? Of course, that is if KM is actually doing anything except being a straw woman for RD.

Under promise and over deliver.

That end of June statement is going to look very foolish. If it doesnt I will be over the moon.
  • Nowhere on the OS article about the appointment of BP does it say he won't be joining until 1st July, so from where does this information originate?
  • Nowhere on the OS article about the appointment of BP does it say he won't be joining until 1st July, so from where does this information originate?

I understand that Sue Parkes, wife of the club secretary put something in the social media. It would appear his current Belgian employers are insisting on a notice period.
    I expect we will get through this in one piece and come the start of the season we will have moved on another few steps in the journey.

• Which way? Forwards or backwards?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NHNIgYRKVQ
  • ross1 said:

Another 4 weeks to before that inspired statement gets put to the test. Strange to take a 2 week holiday right in the business end of this period? Of course, that is if KM is actually doing anything except being a straw woman for RD.

Under promise and over deliver.

That end of June statement is going to look very foolish. If it doesnt I will be over the moon.
    I always thought it was a stupid statement to say that the club HOPED that the majority of transfer business would be sorted by the end of June . The expectation was naive and the reality is that HOPE would be translated by the message boards into will and would be a rod to beat the ownership with. Still 30 days to go so it's not done yet.
  • Peeters is a yes man, RD is the one picking the team
  • Sponsored links:

• You won't be saying that when we hit a last minute winner against the scum and Peeters runs across the pitch to do some crowd surfing in the A Block and give it to the away end

• MSE7 said:

Peeters is a yes man, RD is the one picking the team

Change the record, it is getting boring.

• dickplumb said:

MSE7 said:

Change the record, it is getting boring.

Add insulting and ridiculous to boring.

• MSE7 said:

Just moronic.
  • Umm. I think the post from MSE7 was put in totally for a wind up. You've bitten guys.
  • Rob said:

Umm. I think the post from MSE7 was put in totally for a wind up. You've bitten guys.

MSE7 is only the tip of the iceberg with this nonsense though. Many others have posted similar.

• Does MSE7 do satire?

I think he genuinely thinks a Rudi Voller perm is the essence of good living ;)
  • LoOkOuT said:

Which way? Forwards or backwards?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NHNIgYRKVQ

That, my friend is not too clear. All depends upon the quality of the signings they target and manage to land.