Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Manager - Go - Round

What is it with these new Directors in football and their managers, that must be one of the shortest contracts. Makes you wonder what Murry makes of all this, its certainly not the Charlton he through his life behind. I do remember a comment he made that he was here till the end of the season, then he would talk about his future with the club, obviously they new he didn't have one. He played our own players from the academy and not always what was brought in, which is what Powel wanted to do, so perhaps no surprise, appears you have to toe the line. Its great he's putting money into the new set up at Sparrows Lane.....new pitch.....that's all fine but unless he lets his manager, manage, we will just plod along aimlessly and if he's not carful we will miss out on any players that could of come here......but there again he's probably got that all under control, he's our new manager !

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Spot on...

:-/
  • That was hard work.

Yh, I just wish the Belgian fella never came near our club, we were in such a Fcking great place with a shit pitch, shit team, loads of cash to spend.

Pee off Rowland, come back Slater and Jimenez please, please please we are soo doomed.
  • edited May 2014
    I look at it this way he gave the manager a numbers of new players which he thought would be good enough the championship. Powell knew quickly they were not but as RD didn't know Powell he didn't trust his opinion.

When Riga came and said the same thing he realized he was wrong.

I don't think he will make the same mistake with the new manager
  • That was hard work.

Yh, I just wish the Belgian fella never came near our club, we were in such a Fcking great place with a shit pitch, shit team, loads of cash to spend.

Pee off Rowland, come back Slater and Jimenez please, please please we are soo doomed.

Eh? You can be grateful for what Roland's done and still be concerned about how he runs some aspects of the club you know. For what it's worth I don't really see the point of the original post but it would be dangerous to ignore any mistakes Roland makes based on the fact we'd be worse off without him.
  • I think a lot of you go on like you have a choice who runs the club or whether whoever runs the club actually give a shit about your opinion.
    RD hasn't been proved to have mad any wrong decisions yet, everything he has done has benefited the club so far.
    When he makes a decision that fails, then you can obviously start booing again.
  • I think a lot of you go on like you have a choice who runs the club or whether whoever runs the club actually give a shit about your opinion.
    RD hasn't been proved to have mad any wrong decisions yet, everything he has done has benefited the club so far.
    When he makes a decision that fails, then you can obviously start booing again.

I disagree there. Without a doubt his first transfer window was littered with wrong decisions. Yann should never have been sold, and even if he was he should have been replaced with an equivalent player. Instead we got a 20 year old kid who never played, a dreadful keeper, a lightweight striker and a talented but unfit winger and it was a combination of good management and the old guard who kept us up. We needed strengthening that window even without losing Yann and Dale, but ultimately we finished that window weaker than we started it.

And again, just because you can't choose who owns the club doesn't mean you can't criticise. Were you not criticising when Slater and Jimenez were here?
  • We stayed up - which in my opinion makes his decision making correct to date. Yes JR came in and done wonders but it was RD decision to bring him in.

I don't know enough of what goes on behind the scenes to criticise the owners, J&S came in, the got us out of L!, it then appeared they lost interest.

The only thing Post Curbs I have felt strong enough to spout an opinion in is Pardew as he clearly would rather be anywhere else after the first season in Championship.
  • Ultimately RD owns the club, so his intentions must be positive. We can see evidence of this with his recent investment in both the Academy and the pitch.

However, the Jose Riga saga has made no sense to me at all. Including the long period of inaction on the manager front soon after the season finished. Riga had the support of the players, a key factor when negotiating new contracts. I have not seen much in the press that clarifies exactly why Riga did not sign a deal. Was it a disagreement on the future direction of the club? This seems the most likely. If so, this is a huge concern especially as Riga appeared to be very much onside with Duchatelet at the start of his short reign.

This makes me think, what are the benefits of being part of this network of clubs? A more efficient scouting network; easy access to players (on loan or permanent deals). But what are the downsides? Slow decision making; poor communication; unfocussed or inadequate scouting. Next season will be very interesting!
  • I don't think that anyone who witnessed the Sheffield United game didn't think that we would be relegated unless something changed. It did and we weren't. The overall decision making in that process was justified by our survival.

Would I have kept Yann....yes. Stephens...no. But then again I don't pay the wages and have to make judgements on whether Yann was worth what he was asking.

If my auntie had balls etc but if YK had stayed would Sordell have scored a hatrick at Sheffield Wed ? If Stephens had stayed would Poyet have broken through ?

We' ll never know but what we do know is that decisions were made and in the final analysis of the season they were correct.

• Sponsored links:

• I think my questions above have been answered in Alex Dyer's SLP interview.... Oh dear.